Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50-65

EMS - who's hiring, who's not?

32 posts in this topic

Who in EMS is hiring whether it be full/part time or per diem?

I have several applications out and pending but nothing yet.

I haven't tried some of the farther away places yet such as in NYC or NJ. I'm not sure the commuting expense would be worth it.

Commercials are probably always hiring. Everyone else is probably on a hiring freeze.

Isn't Campion hiring out of CT?

I think most commercial outfits are constantly looking to hire.

Edited by FiftyOnePride

TransCare is hiring

Alamo is hiring

Hudson Valley is hiring

NDP is laying off

Have an app in at TransCare and a couple of friends that work there. Word I got from Alamo is they are accepting applications but holding them for now. Went to HV in January and while they took the app, was told nothing for at least 8 wks. NDP too far any way.

Couple of prospects for some per diem with a couple of the VACs with paid staff on this side.

Have an app in at TransCare and a couple of friends that work there. Word I got from Alamo is they are accepting applications but holding them for now. Went to HV in January and while they took the app, was told nothing for at least 8 wks. NDP too far any way.

Couple of prospects for some per diem with a couple of the VACs with paid staff on this side.

I wouldn't of wasted my time with HV, but in terms of Alamo, they're hiring tons of people for their dutchess expansion, so if you haven't applied yet, that looks promising.

Seeing as how your profile says you are from Orange County, have you looked into Mobile Life Support Svc. ?They have also been hiring recently

What about the voluntary hospitals in the city? Are any of them hiring?

not as far as i know but if they are that would be cool... i know FDNY EMS is starting another class soon

Seeing as how your profile says you are from Orange County, have you looked into Mobile Life Support Svc. ?They have also been hiring recently

They're on tomorrows list of things to do.

Is FDNY EMS still on 8 hr shifts? And does anyone know about UMDNJ? 12 hr shifts would almost make the commute worth it 1 or 2 days/nights a week.

Just waiting until I get out of this "I" class in May. Taking NR also. There is so much more opportunity outside of NY. Places that you can almost afford to live and that pay like it's a real job.

Edited by 50-65

I'm taking my CFR examine 2moro! Does anyone know if anybody hires CFR's or recomends a VAC to join in the White Plains area??

Mamaroneck EMS is always looking for new people to join... We train you. We cover Mamaroneck Village, Rye Neck, A good part of I-95 Plus M/A to Nieghboring communities around the area.... If you want a good call diversity... Come check us out... PM me for futher...... or check out our Website on the New EMTBravo Venues feature at the top of the page, Just search under ( M )

This may be a stupid question but other then dropping patients off at St. Lukes, where does Alamo operate in Orange County?

FDNY hires off a civil service list, if you're not on the list you're not going to get called. And yes, they work 8 hour tours.

Most city hospitals have hiring freezes as far as i have heard from guys down there.

University Hospital in Newark hires a lot of per-diems as i understand.

I have never heard of a job as a CFR...might help you get a job somewhere, but never heard of being hired as a CFR at an ems agency.

Right now, commercials are your best bet.

Ill check u guys out. My friend is part of mamaroneck. Does age matter? And would I be able to put my certification into good use?

There is not much a CFR can do in NYS... but we would still train you to the best of our ability, as well as train you for your next step in EMS, which is EMT.... I am sure your talking about BEN.... He is a great kid... He wants to learn, which is great... If your the same as he is.... You will fit in perfectly..... Check us out... If you like what your read and hear from your friends.... Come by for a ride along.... Also another place to check out is Valhalla VAC.... Depending on where you are in White Plains that it.... Like I said before, check us out and Let me know if you would like a ride along, I will take care of the rest.... Also thank's for the intrest in MEMS..

Well my friend is a her. Its not Ben. But yeah I go to Boces in Valhalla for CFR/EMT. I'm in the EMT class but can't sit for the test. And yeah I would like to do a ride along if its possible. And I live off Central ave in white plains. And I'm more then willing to learn.

In order to get hired with FDNY EMS you have to call them and put your name in ( it isn't civil service, in order to get civil service status with EMS its a different test entirely after you get hired). Then they'll call you and set up your physcial , background, psychological, and medical exams. After you complete all those ( which takes a few months) then you get hired. I put my name into the system last May and I'm waiting on my medical which will be in May Or June ( or so I'm told), Ive been in limbo with FDNY EMS since October when I went for my psych, since the hiring freezes went into effect.

This may be a stupid question but other then dropping patients off at St. Lukes, where does Alamo operate in Orange County?

Not a dumb question Mike. They do have a CON for Orange which is probably why it's on their advertisement. (Oh, and they drop of patients at Cornwall too.)

I wouldn't of wasted my time with HV, but in terms of Alamo, they're hiring tons of people for their dutchess expansion, so if you haven't applied yet, that looks promising. And NDP is a sinking ship at this point, so I wouldn't bother with them.

NDP sinking ship....NDP IS NOT LAYING ANYONE OFF! So before making rumors why don't you ask. Just like the majority of commercial agencies we are accepting applications but not hiring anyone new.

I guess my question is, as a CFR how many commercial agencies have you worked for?

NDP sinking ship....NDP IS NOT LAYING ANYONE OFF! So before making rumors why don't you ask. Just like the majority of commercial agencies we are accepting applications but not hiring anyone new.

I guess my question is, as a CFR how many commercial agencies have you worked for?

Now now, let's not make this an argument or a contest to see who can spread the rumor the fastest or question anyone's knowledge of what goes on... If I figured out how to play nice so can everyone else, otherwise threads start getting locked.

Edited by EFFP411

Not a dumb question Mike. They do have a CON for Orange which is probably why it's on their advertisement. (Oh, and they drop of patients at Cornwall too.)

Ok.......guys I suppose when Alamo does an E- job and the patient for some reason decides they want to go to St. Luke's or Cornwall OR based on the criticality of the patient and VBH /SFH in the Medic's opinion is just a little too far for comfort WE drop them off.....I guess every other Agency drops of patients in all ER's too.....I was of the thinking that I was transporting my patient........

Yes Alamo has a CON for Dutchess, Putnam, Orange and Ulster............

I would go to HV / Regional. I think you are going to see some confused people from other agencies. What do you have to lose anyway.

Now now, let's not make this an argument or a contest to see who can spread the rumor the fastest or question anyone's knowledge of what goes on... If I figured out how to play nice so can everyone else, otherwise threads start getting locked.

This is very good advice. A legitimate question was asked and many tried to answer it to the best of their ability but some insist on bashing agencies and criticizing other members.

Me Bad, " I am sorry."

I will say there is a lot of good things SLOWLY comming around at HV / Regional and I am glad to be working there for Mike & Rizzo. I am also working at Alamo as well. Alamo has also been doing more jobs out of a few NHs in Orange, that where held by another agency (that I do not work for). But there is plenty of work for all of us. March is almost over. Back to OT and adding shifts. Hey everyone It Spring!

Edited by Medic442

What about Medic jobs? Are there more agencies hiring medics?

They're on tomorrows list of things to do.

Is FDNY EMS still on 8 hr shifts? And does anyone know about UMDNJ? 12 hr shifts would almost make the commute worth it 1 or 2 days/nights a week.

Just waiting until I get out of this "I" class in May. Taking NR also. There is so much more opportunity outside of NY. Places that you can almost afford to live and that pay like it's a real job.

If you want to make money doing EMS, you should seriously consider returning to school after your EMT-I class and going to get your Paramedic. At least then you can make $25-$32/hour rather than basic EMT pay. Also, if you are getting your National Registory for EMT-I, consider looking at some of the CT agencies. They are tough to get into because they have a solid QA/QI and look for folks with at least some experience, rather than a wet/green EMT card. But at least you could truly use your EMT-I skills and function at that level. Over there EMT-I practices routine ALS care (IV, monitor). It's not far in relation to Westchester area. And yes, there are always the commercial agencies to check out in NY - - seems like they are always hiring. I know at Westchester EMS you MUST have a clean driving record.

in my honesty opinion "I" is a total waste of time. Like it was said, if you want to make money and are eager to absorb the knowledge and learn new skills save that money and put it towards Paramedic school. The cost-benefit ratio is much better than with the "I" program. But, ultimately it's up to you and what makes you happy. Best of luck!

in my honesty opinion "I" is a total waste of time. Like it was said, if you want to make money and are eager to absorb the knowledge and learn new skills save that money and put it towards Paramedic school. The cost-benefit ratio is much better than with the "I" program. But, ultimately it's up to you and what makes you happy. Best of luck!

Yeah, I know. There are not too many agencies that will let you work as an "I" (in this region due to HVREMSCO protocol).

I would love to take the medic program. Unfortunately, the kids still like to eat and bills still have to be paid. I just can't make the time committment at this time to do it. I wanted to expand my skills and experiences as I get back into EMS. The opportunity for the "I" class came up to I took advantage of it. I got a sponsor who also paid for the books, so it is basically costing me gas money to go to DCC-South 2x/wk.