Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeinet

Schenectady mayor considers options, martial law over police woes

7 posts in this topic

http://capitalnews9.com/content/top_storie...es/Default.aspx

Currently, officials are reviewing the legal options and planning to present a full report in early April - options like a consolidated county-wide police force or bringing in the State Police.

The mayor said there is another option - and that would be declaring martial law. The governor would have to declare it and then the National Guard would come in. The mayor said it's more for a transition to a new police force if that were to happen.

Some factual information about Schenectady:

Popoulation: 61,531

Sworn Officers: 198

Officer per 1,000: 2.52

US Avg. 3.00

Crime Index 537.5

US Avg. 320.9

Mt. Vernon Comparrison (similar size):

Popoulation: 67,882

Sworn Officers: 183

Officer per 1,000: 2.70

US Avg. 3.00

Crime Index 380.4

US Avg. 320.9

Me thinx that the mayor has another agenda.

I have no problem with consolidation or regionalization. However, say what it is. Don't come in thru the backdoor with an agenda.

Marshal Law? What are they, nuts? I can think of few situations that would warrant that kind of action.

I would argue that despite the raw numbers, from the police chief (who was indicted on felony drug ring charges) to lower level LEO's (Accused of assault and charged with DUI's), there seems to be a lot of bad apples in the bunch. I don't think marshal law is the answer though, the news sensationalized one option that was mentioned.

So 2.5% of the force gets in trouble, and they want to fire all of them? That seems a bit extreme. Always more to the story...

Some factual information about Schenectady:

Popoulation: 61,531

Sworn Officers: 198

Officer per 1,000: 2.52

Mt. Vernon Comparrison (similar size):

Popoulation: 67,882

Sworn Officers: 183

Officer per 1,000: 2.70

The math here is a little off. If MV has more population and fewer officers how can they have more officers per 1,000?

Barry, you forgot to count the horses...they are the equivalent to 6 officers strength wise....