Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Philadelphia's Four New Engines

16 posts in this topic

Thanks for sharing hope they have good luck with them

Great looking rigs.....really unique looking. I almost did not think they were KMEs for a second.

Great looking rigs.....really unique looking. I almost did not think they were KMEs for a second.

Same here, I though that also after they continued to have problems with the tower ladder they got from KME.

Hope they have good luck with the new rigs.

They look awesome....sure will see some heavy duty use. The body doesn't seem too much different then their previous KME engines.

I also like how they're nice and compact.

Neither did I, I thought they were seagraves at first, Nice rigs!

From what I understand the bean counters have won out. I think the rank and file would prefer Seagrave but the folks with the money have spoken. The TL I do belive had every problem reported on a daily basis and the companies that had those units were used to a Tiller and wanted the tillers back. I am also sure KME has been cutting bids locally and STEALING bids away from the manufacturers who have worked the bids in the first place.

Nice rigs, interesting place for a booster reel, do previous rigs have this or is it a new idea?

Nice rigs, interesting place for a booster reel, do previous rigs have this or is it a new idea?

Not sure about Philadelphia, but booster reels on the backstep were standard on FDNY Engines up until the late 1980's.

I had noticed that before JBE, any reason why FDNY stopped useing them? They are a good idea especially for small trash fires and vehicle fires etc. We have them on all our rigs but above the pump panel.

Rogue Rescue:

A red snake for a vehicle fire? Not any more with the plastics and the cylinders and loaded bumpers no no no.

I was more meaning an under bonnet fire etc, was just trying to think of examples of things we use ours for + we have true 1inch reels, i know alot of people only use 3/4 inch. We deploy the reel at most fires to get water on the fire from a distance until people don thier masks and get out the 1 3/4 or 2 1/2 inch hoses...

loaded bumpers are not very common these days.

There are still millions out there, just not on new vehicles. The olderones are more likely to be burning than a new car anyway.