Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBJ1202

Dispatch protocols and standards with so many 911 PSAPs

11 posts in this topic

Without getting into the discussion of 'Why Westchester County does not have a centralize 9-1-1 system'... My question is how have departments communicated with its local PD to assure they are dispatched to the incidents they are required. I feel that in general most police departments in Westchester act as 9-1-1 call takers, but do not have any official dispatch training. Is their a solid agreement between the two agencies of what your FD is requesting to be dispatched to. I can see MVAs being the biggest gray area because of the degree in severity. PD might not think FD is needed at a neck and back pain MVA as opposed to a pin job. Thoughts?

JBJ

We had written letters to the chief, had face to face meetings with them as well, we had tape recorded messages on our fire emergency number before 911 but it was still up to who ever answered the call, to tone us out and trip our horn.

It never went very far, and when we switched to County from PD our call volume went from 80 calls a year to over 300.

We get dispatched to all MVA s that the Medic is called to as well.

I say it is much better for our District and the taxpayers to be with the County, all the way around.

PD might not think FD is needed at a neck and back pain MVA as opposed to a pin job. Thoughts?

JBJ

Why is the FD needed at a neck and back pain MVA?

We just switched our dispatch from our PD to 60 Control. Overall, it has been very good. The biggest problem we had with our PD dispatching us was inconsistency, and to be honest, I don't blame them. They were depending on an Excel spreadsheet to tell them what to dispatch on what types of calls. Many times, it wasn't read because those working the desk had done it so long they just went on instinct. Having a CAD system like 60 Control has eliminated so many of our problems when it comes to that, and for that I am glad.

When it comes to MVAs, FD isn't always needed nor is EMS. Most PDs will respond and assess what resources are needed and if it sounds severe enough or if multiple calls are coming in, most are smart enough to know that they should start FD and EMS out, knowing if they're not needed they can always return. With us, our FD goes on all MVAs. Many times the FD isn't needed for anything more then traffic control or to help out EMS. We never hang out at a scene we're not needed on.

I will say this much, when a PD gets a call or multiple calls of a rollover and/or a car that has left the roadway, it might be wise to start out EMS and FD instead of waiting until a unit can get there.

Why is PD needed at an activated CO alarm? Ahhh..... :P

Had to do it..... don't take it personally and drop a bambi bucket full of water on my house!

Why is PD needed at an activated CO alarm? Ahhh..... :P

Had to do it..... don't take it personally and drop a bambi bucket full of water on my house!

I won't take it personally - though I may drop a bucket or two on you anyway! :P

They're not needed at a CO alarm. I wouldn't be the least bit upset if I didn't get sent to 'em!

We have been told that when a call has been dispatched incorrectly, only the assigned Company's for that area are to respond. This means that if the call is in the South End of the Village and the North End Company's have been dispatched, only the South End Company's are supposed to respond. Not everyone remembers this at all times, so you could be getting four Engines, two Ladders and a Rescue for a call that could easily be handled with a single Engine.

And don't get me started on our "General Alarm" (six Engines, two Ladders, and a Rescue) for an actiated fire alarm.

Hopefully change will be in the future. ;)

My fault for not having the best topic title. The title was changed because I couldn't figure out what to call it. My question doesn't really ask about the departments that get dispatched from their local PD, but more how their local PD handles the 9-1-1 calls. Whether you are dispatched by the county or not when you dial 9-1-1 from home it goes to the PD most of the time.

They are not going to be need every time they are dispatched, but like 585 said, we will assist with patient care/packaging, traffic control, and assess for any hazards.

I just think that the incident type should dictate what resources are assigned. I hope that I clarified by myself a little better.

JBJ

Whether you are dispatched by the county or not when you dial 9-1-1 from home it goes to the PD most of the time.

This, IMO, is the drawback to Westchester's 911 System. All landline calls goes to the local PSAP (one of fifty two if I recall correctly), 100% of the time. This local PSAP is most likely the local PD, who will then direct the call at their discretion.

To initate patient care. Many areas are covered by commercial ambulances who may or may not be responding from the immediate area....and sometimes not responding at all...the other areas are served by volunteer ambulances who may never even get off of the floor...

Potential fluid spills/leaks...

Scene safety; aka the big red road block....

There are plenty of reasons. ;)