Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HID Headlights and apparatus

12 posts in this topic

I am a firm believer in HID headlights, I have them in every car I own, from my ghetto cruiser for work to my newest addition. I even bought them for my parents because of the difference in vision you gain from them. My question is this, why has the FOP or IAFF made it a point to increase the ability for us to see better at night. I am not sure how many of you own or have driven a car with HID lights, but he difference is astounding. They have become so cheap now that for 80 bucks you can get a nice set of lights that dramatically increases your safety at night.

Any thoughts? The factories in China that make this stuff will do basically anything you want so it is not an issue of not being able to find the product.

If they cast off alot of light thats one thing but they are so damn bright and blinding that I find them often distracting and disorienting which might not be the best thing for a driver approaching a responding apparatus oncoming considering all of the other bells, whistles and lights we attach to our rigs these days

You arent supposed to look at the lights to begin with. I guess they dont teach anymore to look at the white line when passing vehicles.

You arent supposed to look at the lights to begin with. I guess they dont teach anymore to look at the white line when passing vehicles.

How can you not look at them when they're coming at you? Or see the white line when you're blinded??? That's how blinding they are! While they might be good for the vehicle they are in, in terms of visibility, what good is it when oncoming cars are blinded to the point that they will hit you?

While you may be a believer in them because you have them and you can see better, I personally think they should be outlawed because they are a hazard to other drivers.

Edited by TRUCK6018

I had a set in my Dodge HEMI AND THEY WERE GREAT , BUT............... They were too hot and you need to upgrade the wireing harness because the factory wires started to decay and melt, and they lost the connection and the lights didn't work.

How can you not look at them when they're coming at you? Or see the white line when you're blinded??? That's how blinding they are! While they might be good for the vehicle they are in, in terms of visibility, what good is it when oncoming cars are blinded to the point that they will hit you?

While you may be a believer in them because you have them and you can see better, I personally think they should be outlawed because they are a hazard to other drivers.

See the thing you dont realize is that there are many tempetures of HID bulbs, lets say u have 15k hid bulbs, then yes you will be blinding people and the light will be a purple, but if you have 3500k you will have a clear white light that doesnt blind people and provides excellent lighting. In addition to this if a vehicle doesnt have projector housing headlights HIDS will glare through the headlight lense which may cuase some blinding to people, but to say outlaw hids, thats just out of control.If anything maybe MAYBE regulate the temps people can have.

I agree! I put them in my Tahoe and what a difference!

headlights and reverse lights...ALWAYS subpar on emergency vehicles!

Then again you can also get HID headlights around 8000k and get pulled over left and right for them being illegal

i dont see how these are a necessity. cant they put that money into something a little more... useful? i mean, a vast majority of the people would see this rig coming down the road without these additional lights..

i dont see how these are a necessity. cant they put that money into something a little more... useful? i mean, a vast majority of the people would see this rig coming down the road without these additional lights..

Brighter headlights make it easier for the chauffer and the officer to see any oncoming hazards..HID headlights...not whoopie lights.

they are special bulbs for the headlights so the driver can see the road better, not so others can see you.

I always buy mine in 5k which is as close to daylight as possible. I do not want them to enhance the appearance of the car, I want them so on a wet road I can see that debris or huge pot hole. Car manufacturers have not all run to them cause they cost more. They also take away from the highlines of Acura, Lexus and Infiniti, all those lines come with them. The technology was developed years ago by Philips and I happen to live with a girl who had a family member working for them. The theory for Philips was that they would be able to make any color they wanted by adding different Na + or Na- to the bulb. They wanted to use the bulbs for emergency applications cause they were so efficient (before LED's). Now with new LED technology they have still just concentrated on large outdoor lamps and headlights for vehicles. LED's will never replace them as headlights, the natural light they project is second to none.

I bought mine form here, they came very well recommended and offer both 35 and 55watt versions.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DDM_35W_...Kit-101-60.html

For 85 bucks to 115 bucks you will never make a better improvement in your car or the safety of you or your family.