Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAS967

How well do you know Putnam Valley?

16 posts in this topic

I frequently traverse the TSP in Putnam Valley (thank god not every day) and pass a spot that has always peaked my interest.

Between Roaring Brook (Pudding Street) and Route 301 on the Northbound side, there is what appears to be what used to be an offramp/onramp combination on the right hand side. It appears to have gone unused for quite some time and was likely blocked off and abandoned decades ago.

My question is for all you local historians/history buffs is:

What used to be there?

Here is a google maps link to the spot I mean.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...mp;t=h&z=17

Any help is great appreciated. :)

Appears to me , and I could be wrong ,it use to be the north bound lane of the TSP.Now it is a good spot to take a break as x 129 said. Look out for Troopers camping out there running radar.

We used to call it dicktown rd. You can follow it down and end up on the North Side of Roaring Brook rd. It was a parking area like the one we have in the South Bound side South of Peekskill Hollow Rd.

I was always under the impression that it used to be part of the Parkway - then the road was reconfigured and the old roadway never taken out fully. It made a slight 's' into a long sweeping curve instead.......

No, it was never part of the roadway. If you go in the North side you can follow the road back, just bring a chainsaw, I have not been back through there in years.

No, it was never part of the roadway. If you go in the North side you can follow the road back, just bring a chainsaw, I have not been back through there in years.

That's not what the questioner means. There is the old dirt extension from Stillwater to Roaring Brook but WAS, I believe, is referring to the paved bit that mysteriously exits and enters. I've lived here 22 years and have no idea what it is. It was old that long ago. I'll ask someone in town who knows everything and will get back to you.

Take a walk through there Christie, you will see what I mean. It was a pull off like the one I describe that over looks Station 2 and the top of New Hill Rd. It probably overlooked the lake.

I will be passing it tomorrow on the way down, and on the way back from The Medical Center and Blythdale Children's Hospital.

I will be passing it tomorrow on the way down, and on the way back from The Medical Center and Blythdale Children's Hospital.

Give her a hug for me and Happy Birthday! ;)

10-4 K Edited by x134

Take a walk through there Christie, you will see what I mean. It was a pull off like the one I describe that over looks Station 2 and the top of New Hill Rd. It probably overlooked the lake.

Per my sources it was just a section of old Parkway. I like the idea of it being an overlook, but the topography is wrong. There is a high point between it and Roaring Brook Lake. I'll take a hike out there this weekend.

Thanks for the info. Let me know what you find Christie.

Cool. So basically it's leftover from when they repositioned the asphalt.

I passed it the other day and caught a glimpse of a Trooper sitting on the "exit" side of it, WAY back near a dirt mound. Be careful if you pass by there that you don't get caught. :)

EDIT: Okay, how in the world did you find that Library of Congress picture? Seems like an amazing resource and I'd be interested to see what else is stowed away in there in regards to local history.

Edited by WAS967

EDIT: Okay, how in the world did you find that Library of Congress picture? Seems like an amazing resource and I'd be interested to see what else is stowed away in there in regards to local history.

Google is a pretty handy tool. Just type in some key words and you'll find some interesting items.

''Freinds Don't Let Friends Wear Salad Bowls For Helmets! Join the crusade to bring a leather to 32-2's head! 67-1 should follow suit''. (Quote by x 129)

Dan you kill me, all the guys on the job are laughing there rear ends off. We have been telling him that for years.......

Edited by x134