Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Declining volunteerism in NY - crisis looming?

8 posts in this topic

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...=63425§ionId=46

From Firehouse Magazine

New York State Volunteer Crisis Looms

Posted: 04-14-2009

Updated: 04-14-2009 10:58:42 AM

Apr. 14--ELIZABETHTOWN -- Intensified training requirements may be driving a sharp decline in the number of volunteer firefighters and emergency-medical technicians in Essex County. County Emergency Services Director Donald Jaquish said Monday that the number of active volunteer firefighters has dropped from 1,400 to about 1,000 in the last few years. "This could become a crisis." The county's rural nature means it has many small fire departments that cover large areas, and recruitment pools are smaller. Jaquish is also an assistant chief for Moriah Fire Department. "We had one new member in 2008 and one new member so far in 2009," he said. "That can't continue."

The state's basic Firefighter I course is more than 80 hours of training, and many potential volunteers have family responsibilities that don't allow so much time away from home, he said. "People are not coming forward and joining the fire service. It may be because of the number of hours of training." In addition, a college-scholarship program for new firefighters has been dropped from the state budget, he said, removing one incentive for young people to join local fire companies.

Interesting article. Seems like some quoted in this article want to cut training. Not the answer in my opinion.

Edited by Chris192
Compliance with copyright policy, link to full article added.

If they want to spread out the training thats fine as long as the person doesn't do any fireground or interior work until they have completed the required training courses. If it takes them a year or two, then so be it.

As far as looking into the crystal ball and opining that every ambulance in their county is going to go paid, it might go paid but only as far as the market conditions will allow and nothing more.

Edited by Chris192
Compliance with copyright policy

It's just a convenient target to blame the training hours. Couldn't possibly be the fact that fewer people are interested in community service or that most people work two jobs (or more) to make ends meet, could it?

Attacking the minimum standards - which are already pretty low - is going to wind up getting people hurt when they're not prepared for the job!

It's just a convenient target to blame the training hours. Couldn't possibly be the fact that fewer people are interested in community service or that most people work two jobs (or more) to make ends meet, could it?

Attacking the minimum standards - which are already pretty low - is going to wind up getting people hurt when they're not prepared for the job!

Well said Chris.

If they want to spread out the training thats fine as long as the person doesn't do any fireground or interior work until they have completed the required training courses. If it takes them a year or two, then so be it.

We've been down that road before and it was a joke. The training was spread out into Basic, Intermediate and Advanced with Basic, Intermediate and Haz Mat Ops being the qualifications to be a qualified interior firefighter. The majority of FD's were allowing those with nothing more then Basic Firefighter to operate as interior firefighters. The basic course was 32 hours and had not one single live fire training module in it.

What good would spreading the training out do anyway? I really often wonder what those who think of these things up really think through what they come up with. Even your post Game highlights how ineffective doing such would be. "Spread out the training...as long as the person doesn't do any fireground or interior work..." OK...so what good are they then? Do you not need interior firefighters?

Why is it that in other states the curriculums are even longer? Why do so many others still attend the course and gain certification and then leave? Why would it be ok to piecemeal training over the length of a year or 2 instead of getting the initial basic requirement done in around 6 weeks at 2 nights a week and a Saturday?

Smoke and mirrors yet again.

We've been down that road before and it was a joke. The training was spread out into Basic, Intermediate and Advanced with Basic, Intermediate and Haz Mat Ops being the qualifications to be a qualified interior firefighter. The majority of FD's were allowing those with nothing more then Basic Firefighter to operate as interior firefighters. The basic course was 32 hours and had not one single live fire training module in it.

What good would spreading the training out do anyway? I really often wonder what those who think of these things up really think through what they come up with. Even your post Game highlights how ineffective doing such would be. "Spread out the training...as long as the person doesn't do any fireground or interior work..." OK...so what good are they then? Do you not need interior firefighters?

Why is it that in other states the curriculums are even longer? Why do so many others still attend the course and gain certification and then leave? Why would it be ok to piecemeal training over the length of a year or 2 instead of getting the initial basic requirement done in around 6 weeks at 2 nights a week and a Saturday?

Smoke and mirrors yet again.

While I can understand your angst in this matter, I can't speak for other departments, but in my department, if you don't have the prerequistes that are required to be interior, don't even think of trying to enter a burning building or donn an SCBA.

As far as spreading it out over a year or two, like its been said in here before, many volunteers have full time jobs; many do shift work and at times the courses are scheduled to the point where its next to impossible to attend them; as such they have to wait until a course comes up that fits into their schedule. Through my experience, most new firefighters complete there required courses well under a year. In the meantime, until they take the required courses, they have no business on the fireground. It's a good incentive to complete your training if you really want to be in the fire service.

So "what good are they?" I think once they complete there training they'll become an asset to the fire service. At times patience is a virtue.

While I can understand your angst in this matter, I can't speak for other departments, but in my department, if you don't have the prerequistes that are required to be interior, don't even think of trying to enter a burning building or donn an SCBA.

As far as spreading it out over a year or two, like its been said in here before, many volunteers have full time jobs; many do shift work and at times the courses are scheduled to the point where its next to impossible to attend them; as such they have to wait until a course comes up that fits into their schedule. Through my experience, most new firefighters complete there required courses well under a year. In the meantime, until they take the required courses, they have no business on the fireground. It's a good incentive to complete your training if you really want to be in the fire service.

So "what good are they?" I think once they complete there training they'll become an asset to the fire service. At times patience is a virtue.

I disagree that the "new member "does not belong on the fire ground. You can only learn so much from the classes and books. The other part is doing or watching how things are done. And since this member can not do anything until he or she takes the required classes, what will it hurt if they are in there exterior gear with there orange helmet watching a fire scene and what happens at an incident.

As you so well pointed out that it takes so long to get the required courses because of life and a work schedule, good luck holding on to the "new person" if they can't even go to the "fire ground" or an incident.

New people need to have mentors and be guided throught the process of obtaining the required courses to become an "interior firefighter" and not be left to fend for themselves. That goes hand in hand with pointing things out to them at an incident even though they may not have the required courses and an "interior status". We all may be better off by doing this, and we might .... just might..... hold on to members in the Volunteer service.

OK I AM DONE.......RANT.

Edited by x134

good luck holding on to the "new person" if they can't even go to the "fire ground" or an incident.

Truer words have never been spoken