Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westchester County Police Aviation: How They Can Help During Brush Fires

20 posts in this topic

I don't know if brush fires are an issue up north as frequently as they're popping up around the country.

post-11-1240599284.jpg

Everyone should keep in mind that Westchester County PD Aviation has a "Bambi-Bucket" for water drops during brush fire They are also cabale of transmitting a video downlink to the WCDES's Mobile Command Center, and other command centers including a portable breifcase, so you can get a better look at the area of fire you're dealing with and come up with a plan from the best angle you can get. Two tools that are extremly valuable to an Brush Fire IC. I'm sure Chris192 could elaborate more.

Excuse my ignorance, I know what a "Bambi-Bucket" is, but how does it work? With all the wildfires recently, my question I guess it how to they open and close the valve? Is it manual or can it be done from the cockpit? Also, how much water does it hold, and is there a technique as to where to drop the water?

post-11-1240598763.jpg

(Photos by me)

Its an electronic release. The capacity depends on the size of the bucket, Chris would have to answer for their specific bucket. There are techniques with any water application, bambi buckets even have accessories. There an aerator sock, they can accommodate foam, my suggestion would be "The Google". They seem to know everything. Fyi, bambi bucket is trade name for sci? sei? sbi? s 'something' i industries. Good luck in your search.

SEI Industries is the main supplier of buckets (including ours).

The capacity of our bucket is 180 gallons (for a total water weight of 1440 pounds). There are a variety of ways the bucket can be used including trail drops, trail drops with the fire sock for greater coverage/dispersal, spot drops (for those stubborn trees or tree stumps, and foam integration.

The NYPD and State Police have buckets also. Depending on the aircraft the bucket may be larger, but for a Bell 407 the largest bucket will be 180 gallons.

As NY10570 said, there's an electronic release inside the cockpit. There is also a marine recovery device in case the bucket is separated from the aircraft in the water - it's basically just an float bag that tells you where to direct the boat to pick it up (the bucket, hopefully not the helicopter!). :P

So far, the Westchester County PD has been used in Yorktown and West Harrison for such fires. NYPD was summoned to assist with a fire in Somers before we were properly trained and equipped to do it ourselves. We've also been requested for out of county fires but to date we've not gone mutual aid for them.

post-4772-1240609383.jpg

post-4772-1240609339.jpg

post-4772-1240609422.jpg

We're an eco-friendly aviation unit - if it weren't for us that tree would never get watered! :lol:

Definitely eco-friendly...but I feel a little bad for all the displaced FISH scooped out of the reservoirs who find themselves flopping around while being cooked in a brushfire somewhere! LOL!

To improve visability at a brush fire, WCPD Aviation can fill the bambi bucket with gasoline, that way the flames will be more visable to those on the ground, also they have the largest PPV fan in the county. :P

What is the farthest that you will go out of the county for mutual aid?

What is the fuel range, flight time, and how soon can you be in the air once called for.

This is a great resouce to have avalible and should definitly be taken advantage of if needed if nothing else then for a arial view of the fire since this is a great advantage in lage area fires.

Definitely eco-friendly...but I feel a little bad for all the displaced FISH scooped out of the reservoirs who find themselves flopping around while being cooked in a brushfire somewhere! LOL!

Does that mean WCPD & Chris 192 will be sponsering a fish fry? Can we also have lobster and corn on the cob? :lol:

Does that mean WCPD & Chris 192 will be sponsering a fish fry? Can we also have lobster and corn on the cob? :lol:

Hilarious! And actually a pretty darn good idea... I know Chris192's wife--- she apparently whips up a pretty mean lobster/clam/kielbasa/corn feast! Yum! :P

You bring up a valid point. This abuse of animals must be stopped. I for one am going to contact the ASPCA and see if criminal charges could be pursued against this abuser of poor innocent fish. STOP THE INSANITY CHRIS!!!!!

You bring up a valid point. This abuse of animals must be stopped. I for one am going to contact the ASPCA and see if criminal charges could be pursued against this abuser of poor innocent fish. STOP THE INSANITY CHRIS!!!!!

I think you mean PETA!

You know, People Eating Tasty Animals...

i really cant belive someone said somthing about the fish. i mean really.....................

Come on, folks. This is Westchester County. Before we pick up any water, we drop off divers who make sure no fish swim into the bucket. Westchester is a green county! Happy Earth Day!

post-4772-1240623351.jpg

Interesting. But who flies the light blue small heli?

We fly that one by remote control from the one pictured above.

What is the farthest that you will go out of the county for mutual aid?

What is the fuel range, flight time, and how soon can you be in the air once called for.

This is a great resouce to have avalible and should definitly be taken advantage of if needed if nothing else then for a arial view of the fire since this is a great advantage in lage area fires.

Dude, you're killing this thread with actual questions that you really want serious answers too... Sheesh...

That depends alot on the circumstances. They're evaluated on a case by case basis. We would probably make sure that the State Police were working with you up in Dutchess before we'd make that trip.

Fuel range, about 300 miles on a single tank of fuel. That would take about 2.5 hours (or so depending on winds). Flight time to Dutchess County Airport from the Westchester County Airport is about 20 minutes. If you're Poughkeepsie figure about another 5 minutes or so.

As for how soon we can be in the air, we can be in the air for a law enforcement mission in about 5 minutes when there is a crew on duty. If we're not on duty and have to be recalled, it may take up to an hour to get airborne (depending on who's called in, from where, etc.).

For a fire mission, we'd probably take about 30 minutes to get airborne (again if we're on duty - longer if we're not) and we'd land at the scene to prep the equipment and discuss the strategy and tactics with the IC. One thing to always keep in mind, no matter how hot you are, you don't want to be standing under a water drop. A thousand pounds of water hitting you is alot like a half ton of water hitting you! We will not drop in an area where there are ground personnel so it takes a little coordination to make sure we're operating cooperatively. Depending on where the fire is, we may need to scout out a fill site, make sure the route between the fire and fill site is secure, etc.

I hope that answers your questions. :D

A thousand pounds of water hitting you is alot like a half ton of water hitting you!

I was told there would be no math on EMTbravo...thanks for the translation.

I was told there would be no math on EMTbravo...thanks for the translation.

Nothing worse than cop pilot math! :P

And the fish in the bucket screw up the weight calculation entirely!!!

I heard WCPD Aviation on patrol last night found a Brush Fire.

Eye in the sky is always a BIG help. :D

Nothing worse than cop pilot math! :P

And the PD Spotter says: we are heading 5 degrees...the pilot says nope 360 degrees (isnt that 355 degrees apart) :P

And the fish in the bucket screw up the weight calculation entirely!!!

I dont buy it. Chris 192 standing in front of the bambi bucket going: "honest guys we caught a fish and he was this (show hand pread here) big.

I think I have a problem with Chris using county avaition for recreational purposes.....Fishing is not a proper use of my tax dollars (except maybe the vice squad fishing for ............) :rolleyes:

And the PD Spotter says: we are heading 5 degrees...the pilot says nope 360 degrees (isnt that 355 degrees apart) :P

I dont buy it. Chris 192 standing in front of the bambi bucket going: "honest guys we caught a bambi bucket-o-fish and they were ALL this (show hands spread this wide here) big!

I think I have a problem with Chris using county aviation for recreational purposes.....Fishing is not a proper use of my tax dollars (except maybe the vice squad fishing for ............) :rolleyes:

... For enough fish for chris192's wife to cook up and feed the entire NY Bravo readership? Now THAT would be worth your tax dollars, Barry! Oops, sorry, BNechis. Don't know you. Wouldn't know you're the afore-mentioned-but just totally guessed it-moniker.