Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alterations to Turnout Gear

16 posts in this topic

I'm trying to determine wether or not it is detrimental to sew patches to the outer shell of turnout gear. Minute as it may seem to have so small a hole, I was wondering if anyone knows specifically if making an alteration like that voids the warranty of the gear. Or perhaps even could be considered detrimental to the integrity of it.

I've put a call into Globe to see what their take on the matter is, and surprisingly enough they don't think I'm crazy. While I'm waiting for all the information they promised me, and the call back from one of their supervisors, I'd like to know if anyone else has given this any thought, or if they've run into similar 'discussions' in their own firehouse. I appreciate all the insight, as I'm not really sure about NFPA codes (if they exist) about altering gear once it has been approved for use.

I myself am a big fan of having patches on gear, specifically ones that make you feel proud to put your coat on. But recently I was told that patches are ok if you use Nomex thread, but that still seems odd to me. Since all gear has to pass a heat/flame test, how can you make those alterations?

Lastly, does anyone use iron on patches in their department? I was told that putting them on the outer shell of your turnout coat "absolutely" damages the integrity. Even though they are put on under a damp cloth on a low setting of the iron.

Thanks guys, as trivial as this may seem we've all been put in the situation where you really want to get all the facts before you dive back into the argument :D

But recently I was told that patches are ok if you use Nomex thread, but that still seems odd to me.

Nomex thread is recommended. Just remember, while the patch is affixed with fire resistant thread, that doesn't mean the cloth of the patch is fire resistant. I've had my share of gear discolored due to high heat, how would a patch hold up to it? More importantly, how would the coat hold up to it with the patch affixed to it?

I wouldn't be too fond of iron on patches either. Ironed on at low settings may be fine but there is still glue there. Once you expose the gear to fire, where it may be exposed to higher temps for longer periods of time, what is this going to do to the glue? Plus, what is the flash point of the glue?

Noron on patches but as said before sew on patch with nomex thread is ok

I dont think it voids the warranty, but you might want to call the manufacturer and check with them. Alot of guys on my job have patchs on there coats. The patches definitely take a beating, so you might have to replace it often. You also might want to use nomex thread we sowing it on.

Stay low!!

I have had the LMFD FASTeam patch sewn on my shoulder of my gear with Nomex thread for a few years now...so far no problems with it. Also on a side note...I had 2 rips in my pants sewn back together by Globe at their factory. Globe sewn on 2 patches of material with Nomex thread to cover the rips. It would seem that if Globe would repair my gear with a patch and Nomex thread, this then shows that having a dept patch sewn on would be safe? :-k

You may want to go down to AAA and see if they can do it. What you may have to do is get some nomex (or what ever you coat is made out of) and put the patch onto that, then the material onto your coat. By doing this, you are keeping the patch off the coat yet still able to disply it with pride

You could try Trilex/Firefighter1 in Passaic, New Jersey. That is where i bought my Morning Pride gear. They have a huge facility & do all alterations on premise. They also have in-stock gear & even do turnout gear rentals. I went down there & got sized for my gear, the guy went over to a rack & handed me a full get of gear. I tried it on, it fit perfect. I got the gear 2 days later in the mail with my name & dept. sewn on the coat. They're great people to deal with & they know what they're doing.

Heres their website:

http://www.trilexcleanfiregear.com/

had alterations done via trilex , they can do anything to nfpa spec (safe and approved) don;t by new stuff yet break in the old. peace brother

my dept had our patch put on our new morning pride gear by the dealer. they used regular thread and our patches have stood up well even in flashover simulators. mornig pride told us the patches would not affect our gear in any negative ways.

what about pockets and such. if pants didnt have pockets on them, anyone know if it is ok to put pockets on them and maybe where to find the nomex to do this.

also, does anyone know where to buy scotchlite triple trim? i cant find it anywhere.

Edited by Firefighter57

JUST PUT IT ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

take an old jacket or pants and cut a swatch of cloth in the shape of a pocket and attach where you want it. i am in no way a seemstress and couldn't really tell you how to do it but if you get pants with the bellow pockets on ebay, you could attach those to your current gear. but i would try the old stuff in the closet thats gonna get thrown out first. there gonna trash it so have some fun with it :-D

Firefighter57...

I found triple trim on the Fire Store.com, but it was for helmets, i assume you want it for gear? They may also sell triple trim for gear, you could try, but i couldn't find it.

The only advise i could give you is to try Trilex/Firefighter-1 in Passaic New Jersey. That is where i bought my gear and also had alterations made there. They are excellent and do all work on premises and there's like a 1-2 day turn-around on gear/alterations!

Heres their webpage:

http://www.trilexcleanfiregear.com/

for just the trim & tread try: www.mifflinvalley.com

for prefab parts, trim, tread & accessories try:

www.natsafe.com

www.freds2therescue.com

www.massarosgearrepair.com

trilex

I've dealt with all of these guys except Trilex but from other's posts they sound do have a good reputation.

If you want pockets, take your gear to a rep like AAA that sells it and order the pockets from the same manufacturer of your gear and they can sew it on.

If you have rips in your gear the patches that they use to cover them is the same material as the turnout gear, not regular thread patches that we use on uniforms.

Just remember its not a problem until it becomes a problem. Sounds kind of silly right? But if you get in a situation where your gear is barely protecting you, which is gonna ignite first? Which is going to put direct flame contact on that section of gear if it ignites and your in trouble? Does your gear protect your against conductive heat or direct flame contact? Answers: Your gear will stand up to some conductive heat and direct flame contact, but only for seconds. You may still get burned by conductive heat while your gear holds up for nearly a minute.

Always contact the manufacturer about questions about adding things to your PPE and how.