Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
afd65

How Is EMS Dispatched?

18 posts in this topic

How do u dispach ems? i know they are called to the scene but do they get called by saying a 36 delta? delta meaning the seroiusness of the call. alpha being the best condition pacitent and ecco being the worst? also is there a special requirments that need to be fullfiled when goin on one of these calls? i know here in deleware county if it is a charlie or high a paramedic needs to be on board? :-k and if it is a alpha or bravo a emt needs to be on board the order is alpha, bravo, charlie, delta and ecco. the number in front of it refers to what it is? if it is a heart condition or a broken leg or w.e it is.

it all depends on the agency when it comes to being dispatched. For yorktown, 911 calls go to the PD, who then dispatch the VAC. We are given the address and then the type of call it is, normally in detail, no 10-codes. As for the Alpha Bravo ect. Yorktown if fortunate enough to have Advanced Life Support staffed 24/7 at our headquaters, 2 from 0800 till 2000 and 1 from 2000 till 0800. So ALS is dispatched to all calls in a fly car along with a BLS VAC bus. On the scene it is determined wether or not the call will go ALS or BLS and who ever needs to jump in the bus goes.

Patient updates are usually not part of the initial dispatch process; if the responding unit wants one, they can call one, but they are usually not included in the initial dispatch because it takes up time that is much better spent elsewhere.

For example, whenever my EMS Squad is dispatched via Monmouth County Radio, it sounds like this:

"Squad 2621, {address} for {call type}. Squad 2621, {re-statement of address} for {re-statement of call type} . Time out is {Time}"

I'll usually ask for a patient update if a length of time elapses between when we are initially dispatched and when I call in service, ie if the call goes to second or third alert (night time). I'll also ask for a patient update and the nature of the call if the dispatchers dispatch the call as an "emergency transport," which happens more often when the dispatcher does not know how to dispatch the call properly. As far as that, no patient information such as Alpha, Bravo, etc is stated because it takes too much time to broadcast.

Monmouth County is the only county in the State of NJ that has ALS in every town. ALS is automatically dispatched for serious calls such as cardiacs, respiratories, MVAs, traumatic falls, or other instances of trauma.

Plain English is the way to go ....why confuse everybody with ecco bravo charlie etc...

also how long do u wait untill a second tone and third tones go of? he in deleware county after 5mins they will retone u no matter what. unless u have signed on. that is the same way for both ems and fire.

Second Alert is 5 minutes after the initial dispatch if a unit has not called in service; Third Alert is 10 minutes after the initial dispatch if a unit has not called in service. After Third Alert, calls go mutual aid.

In Yorktown VAC, we either have a crew for the bus or not, and if we dont, a page immediatly goes out to all members to fill the crew. Every 30-45 seconds a page goes out for a maximum of 4 times. After the 4th time, we go mutual aid

In onondaga county, we dont use the alpha/bravo system, but pretty close to it (all based off the alpha bravo's charlies delta's echo's from EMD cards) are the priority system.

Priority 1 = ALS / Code 3 Response

Priority 2 = BLS / Code 3 Response

Priority 3 = Non-Emergency Response/Non-life threating

Priority 4 = Inter-facility transfer (between hospitals/etc.)

that's a county standard for ALL ems calls, vol/paid ambulance cores alike use it.

Works great up here.

afd you are talking about emd codes...i don't believe that any agency in this area uses such however metro dade county uses this to dispatch their units...the numbers in fron are associated with the condition (i.e. medical or injury) accord to the emd card book...

i was refering to where i go to college which is in delaware county i know in westchester they do not use them. thanks for all your info on this topic

In Tarrytown, we are paged out by Tarrytown PD. They give us the details of the call. The duty crew chief calls back to TPD HQ to confirm that we received the page and that our crew will be responding shortly. After the entire crew assembles, or as long as most of the crew is their within a reasonable time frame, the rig leaves. When PD receives the call, they will send 2 units most of the time, page us, and call for an ALS intercept from Greenburgh PD. If ALS isn't needed, we cancel them, or they come and ride w/us to the hospital or don't go w/us. If their is a backup call, if a crew doesnt respond within 4 mins, mutual aid is called in.

do u page out once or how many times b4 it goes to mutal aid?

Tarrytown PD are supposed to page out, if a full crew hasnt called back within 4 mins, TPD calls for mutual aid. Sometimes they do page out more than once or wait a little longer than they should for a backup call.

i believe everyone gets mutual aid...except the no mutual aid people down in yonkers...that is right don't call for it, not allowed.

Oswegowind Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i believe everyone gets mutual aid...except the no mutual aid people down in yonkers...that is right don't call for it, not allowed. 

:D =D> !!!!!!!