Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

FD's without Paramedics; do you have ALS on extra alarm assignments?

10 posts in this topic

Just wonder how many agencies include an ALS standby unit on their second or greater alarm assignments?

I am thinking more for the MOS than victims.

Also - do FASTeams consider bringing an AED to the scene (not in, obviously) for downed FF's?

Why just the second alarm. I have seen and heard of medics on stand-by for first alarms or training burns on multiple occations.......

Why just the second alarm. I have seen and heard of medics on stand-by for first alarms or training burns on multiple occations.......

Exactly! Great proactive approach!

BUT...all too often, medical standby for OUR members os forgotten....until it is needed.

As an IC, I always added an ALS unit for stanby at the scene on my 2nd alarm assignments. They were not [art of the assignment in CAd, I just asked 911 to add them manually. Thankfully we never needed them, but it was nice that they were there.

Exactly! Great proactive approach!

BUT...all too often, medical standby for OUR members os forgotten....until it is needed.

As an IC, I always added an ALS unit for stanby at the scene on my 2nd alarm assignments. They were not [art of the assignment in CAd, I just asked 911 to add them manually. Thankfully we never needed them, but it was nice that they were there.

Or maybe the chief just never calls? Been involved in a few situations where chief's never called for a bus unitl a firefighter was down...

Or maybe the chief just never calls? Been involved in a few situations where chief's never called for a bus unitl a firefighter was down...

That is why I posted this....how hard is it to add a medic to an existing alarm assignment?

Our SOG for a 10-75 or greater calls for the response of two ambulances and a Paramedic. The Croton EMS Officers may call more stuff, like a rehab unit, etc. at their discretion. We implemented this policy before our FD stopped doing EMS, and when the split was made both sides agreed to keep it in place. Generally, it calls for one BLS Ambulance from Croton EMS, one BLS Ambulance from Cortlandt VAC and our ALS Fly-Car or ALS Ambulance from Ossining. An additional BLS Ambulance is relocated to our EMS HQ to cover any additional calls, leaving the above two at the fire scene for us.

As of this past Monday night, our FAST Engine (E119) finally has an AED on board. All members of our FAST are certified in CPR/AED, as are the majority of the entire membership. We haven't had a call yet with the AED on board, but I imagine we will start bringing it as part of our equipment. Once the current EMT class ends, we will have 6 EMTs and 2 CFRs on the team. A couple (including me) are currently expired but will be refreshing eventually.

Edited by Remember585

When the IC calls the Working Fire Dispatch, one BLS, one ALS, and an AEMSO is assigned to the box. This would happen after units get on scene, the first alarm. The BLS ambulance must bring an AED when setting up their aide station, part of our General Orders.

Edited by Slayer61

I've always wondered why EMS is an automatic response in some areas for working structure fires only. There are numerous other alarm types we deal with that have their inherited dangers with the tactics that we employ. Same thing with FAST...why not utilize FAST and EMS at chimney fires...members operating often on roofs, what if one of them experiences a medical or traumatic injury? Why not utilize the team as they are trained to do. Why wait for a bus to come help your member if they go down. How about brush fires? Besides rehab they can be there to treat minor wounds, and be there to treat and stabilize significant ones as well. Again why wait for a bus...when you can have one there. Excellent topic 129.

I've always wondered why EMS is an automatic response in some areas for working structure fires only. There are numerous other alarm types we deal with that have their inherited dangers with the tactics that we employ. Same thing with FAST...why not utilize FAST and EMS at chimney fires...members operating often on roofs, what if one of them experiences a medical or traumatic injury? Why not utilize the team as they are trained to do. Why wait for a bus to come help your member if they go down. How about brush fires? Besides rehab they can be there to treat minor wounds, and be there to treat and stabilize significant ones as well. Again why wait for a bus...when you can have one there. Excellent topic 129.

Thanks! And excellent points, especially brush fires! I get my fat a** kicked more at those damn brush fires than any other incident!

I agree that this is a good topic. ALS you bring up good points about only working structure fires and other alarms. I know of several districts that do this and don't get it. I also know of some that send ems on everything but "still" alarms ie brush fires wires down etc.Wish I had the answer.