Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfitz2004

New York State Certifications

4 posts in this topic

The NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control offers New York State Certifications

NYS FIREFIGHTER RECRUIT II

Designed For: All fire service personnel

Required Fire Service Training:

Basic Firefighter (01-05-0006) or Firefighting Essentials (01-05-0023) and Fire Behavior and Arson Awareness (01-01-0012),

Intermediate Firefighter (01-05-0057) or Initial Fire Attack (01-05-0027), and

Local Rules and Regulations, Policies and Procedures, and Right to Know information.

NYS FIREFIGHTER RECRUIT I

Prerequisite: Firefighter Recruit II

Truck Company Operations (01-05-0046) or Ladder Company Operations (01-05-0029),

Apparatus Operator - Pump (01-05-0005) or Pump Operator (01-05-0037),

Accident Victim Extrication Training (01-04-0001), and

Hazardous Materials First Responder Operations (01-09-0071).

NYS FIREFIGHTER

Prerequisite: Firefighter Recruit I

Recruit Firefighter Training (01-05-0038) or

Rescue Technician - Basic (01-04-0032) or Rescue Operations (01-04-0029),

Incident Command System (01-11-0023),

Basic Wildland Fire Suppression (01-05-0007),

Inspection of Existing Structures (02-06-0008),

Standard first aid or equivalent, and

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and

Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT).

There is a way for Volunteers Firefighter gets the same training just like our career brothers. It may take us volunteer Firefighter longer to get The NYS Firefighter Certifications. Course like Basic Wildland Fire Suppression are almost never giving in Westchester. If the County gives us Volunteers firefighter Candidate Physical Ability Test of us to get our The NYS Firefighter Certifications. I would love to see more fire department officers and Chiefs push their firefighter to get The NYS Firefighter Certifications. I would like to see Fire Instructor tell their Firefighter 1 Students more about New York State Certifications.

Edited by bigfitz2004

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you. The out reach programs the state teaches IS NOT THE SAME TRAINING that career firefighters go through. I feel comfortable saying this as both a state instructor and a firefighter who has gone through two academys. The biggest problem I have with alot of state courses is that you can not transfer them from state to state. With that being said NYS has made tremendous improvements with there programs. Belive it or not OFPC does listen to our/your recomendations for improvements. The classes now are better than they were but still need some improvements.

This is not a paid v.s volunteer shot. 95% of my students are volunteer and they are great students and I have the ut- most respect for them. This is not a shot at you either. I worked very hard to be hired by two departments and went through two academys. In total I spent 32 weeks away from my family. That is alot different than 2 nights a week and an occasinal Saturday. JK

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you. The out reach programs the state teaches IS NOT THE SAME TRAINING that career firefighters go through. I feel comfortable saying this as both a state instructor and a firefighter who has gone through two academys. The biggest problem I have with alot of state courses is that you can not transfer them from state to state. With that being said NYS has made tremendous improvements with there programs. Belive it or not OFPC does listen to our/your recomendations for improvements. The classes now are better than they were but still need some improvements.

This is not a paid v.s volunteer shot. 95% of my students are volunteer and they are great students and I have the ut- most respect for them. This is not a shot at you either. I worked very hard to be hired by two departments and went through two academys. In total I spent 32 weeks away from my family. That is alot different than 2 nights a week and an occasinal Saturday. JK

Joe, I am a volunteer and agree with you 100%, this isn't about vollies or career, it is fact the training is not the same. As you stated the training has improved greatly on the outreach program but there is nothing like attending, completing and getting your certificate for completing the 229 basic firefighter course.

I agree that this is not even close to a career academy, but I do think that it should be the minimum for interior firefighter, plus a few other classes like FAST and survival. In fact, the way it's phrased it doesn't make sense to have three established standards and yet require none of them for vulunteers. IMHO