Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

BlackBerry or iPhone

19 posts in this topic

Hey all, I'm looking for some pro / cons on which phone I should get. I'm geting rid of my Nextel (YAAAEEEEEEE!!!!!) since it is a .............well you know. I like both the Blackberry and iPhone so I was looking for some input to help me decide which one to get. Thanks

Izzy

Depends what your needs/desires are. I had the iPhone 3G - it was a great phone, very fun but it lacked some very basic features at the time. MMS, copy/paste, multi-tasking (still lacks this) and the like. The biggest problem, however, is that the iPhone is backed up by one of the worst carriers, AT&T. The GSM technology is nice if you want to swap phones (SIM card), but AT&T is just downright horrid, and i live in the NY metro area (so there is really no excuse, in my mind). Dropped calls, spotty network coverage and lack of nationwide 3G services are were my biggest complaints. I think one time i dropped a call 9 times in a row when my service indicator (i know, these things are not really always accurate) was telling me i had full 3G service. AT&Ts network is just not as robust or resilient as Verizon's.

Now, blackberry. Right now im rocking the 8330 (CDMA) Curve on Verizon. Right off the bat, GSM carriers (more so AT&T than T-Mobile) have a much larger selection of blackberries - particularly because most of the world's cellular networks are GSM. On AT&T you have the 8900 Curve and the 9000 Bold - great devices, but backed up by, again in my opinion, a horrid network. So, you will still be plagued by dropped calls, failure to connect and slow connectivity (also, the Bold 9000 has pretty meh battery life...has something to do with 3G on AT&T sucking power, don't know the details).

Right now the Verizon has the 8330 Curve, the 9530 Storm (garbage, don't waste your time) and the 8830 Worldphone (it's got global GSM radios and no camera - mostly a business/corporate device). Next moth they are rumored to be releasing the replacement to the 8830 worldphone, the 9630 Tour (www.verizonwireless.com/bbtour) all reports are saying that it is thus far one of the best blackberries.

Blackberry is a great phone, its reliable and it does what it says it will very well. Email, Text, and BBM are all solid. Probably second to none. However, it does fall short in web browsing, media and application possibilities (though they do have their own app store called app world and they having been making improvements in the media and html browser). They are capable of multi tasking - meaning you can run multiple applications at once so facebook can be running all day while your receiving sending email, texts, etc and you still get your facebook notifications and can go and comment on peoples walls/status.

So, you really have to ask yourself two questions:

1) What network am i going to go with? I would do some research on this, check the coverage maps and browse the internet to see who has the most solid and reliable footprint in your area. If you travel a lot, also take this into consideration you dont want to be stuck without service when you're on vacation or visiting family and friends.

2) What are you looking for/ what do you want? This is something no one can answer but yourself. Do you like the novelty of the iphone and the simplicity of use and don't mind being restrained to some extent by Apple (relax, i am an apple fan - had the iphone and have a macbook, but lets put all the cards on the table they often rule like stalin) or are you more interested in a productivity power house? Are you looking to get email, respond, text, use MMS and the like or are you more concerned about applications, games and things of this nature?

Sorry that was a bit long winded! Good luck!

I have the Verizon Curve 8330. It is an awesome device. The service is 100x better than nextel, the web browsing is much faster, and it's just an all around great phone. I've never experienced an iPhone, or the AT&T network, but i've heard it's not the greatest. You won't be disappointed if you go with the blackberry.

iPhone, very cool toy, no doubt about it!

If you need solid workability and functionality, get a BlackBerry. It's just a really solid device, with a great rugged track record and it's available on the only decent network, Verizon.

I switched to the Iphone last year, and will never switch back. The design is fantastic; easy to use, good to look at, and stable. I've used it in the ED, at crash scenes, and in the back of an ambulance, all without any problems. Between the outstanding OS and the huge selection of Apps, it's really more of a pocket-sized computer than a smartphone. The web browsing blows Blackberry out of the water, and despite the complaints I hear, I've never noticed any worse coverage with AT&T than I did with Verizon, which I had before with my Treo. My only regret is that I can't sell my job on upgrading my 3G to the new 3GS that comes out this week.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

I dropped Nextel back in January and picked up the Bold 9000 with AT&T, and I would recommend this phone to anyone. I know that Goose mentioned that he had some problems with them, and everyone knows that Verizon's service is the best you can get pretty much anywhere you go, but I have been very impressed with my service. The phone itself is phenominal, and I have service everywhere I go including the Adirondaks where service can be quite spotty. I did run into a problem when I was down in Brooklyn a few weeks ago while I was walking under the BQE. Other than that I had full 3G with no dropped calls.

I haven't had much experience with the iPhone other than toying with my friends', but everyone I know that has one loves it. I know that the problem with MMS messaging is supposed to be fixed with the new iPhone which I believe comes out in August.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you wind up picking.

I have an iphone and i got the new update yesterday allowing for copy and paste, sideways keyboard for texting, and mid-summer mms and much more to come giving it just about everything. And an iphone i would take anyday because of all the stuff you can put on. It has just about any application known to man

Just downloaded the new SiriusXM app for my Iphone; free download, and I can listen to Opie and Anthony anywhere I go!

I actually have the Blackberry curve 8350i for nextel, and I have to say, the service is phenominally better that any standard nextel I've ever had. And the thing I like the most is my original plan was only 49.99, and when i got the Blackberry i got an extra 150 minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited data, free nights and weekends, etc. It's my understanding that with verizon, the blackberry service is like an extra $30 on top of an already hefty bill. Alot of people tell me im crazy for sticking with nextel, but i have to say I am very impressed with it. So you may want to look into it before switching altogether.

Thanks all for replying. I'll be checking it out which one to go with. Another concern with me is whether to go with AT&T or Verison if I go the BlackBerry route. I can get discounts with both through work and the local.

it just stinks that after 10+ years with Sprint / Nextel that thier service as really gone downhill over the years. If it was anywhere as decwent as it used to be I would probably stay with them.

I'll be checking in to see if others have any input as well.

Thanks again all!!

some carriers will give you a 30 try out period i think att does, iphone is great i use it as a scanner too , use the30 period to try the iphone u will love it

Thanks all for replying. I'll be checking it out which one to go with. Another concern with me is whether to go with AT&T or Verison if I go the BlackBerry route. I can get discounts with both through work and the local.

it just stinks that after 10+ years with Sprint / Nextel that thier service as really gone downhill over the years. If it was anywhere as decwent as it used to be I would probably stay with them.

I'll be checking in to see if others have any input as well.

Thanks again all!!

AT&T and Verizon give you a 30 day trial period to evaluate their service and phone. Cancel within the 30 days and you're prorated the service and incur no ETF.

I've been on Verizon for years and date back to NYNEX Mobile. The service is far superior. I have a Blackberry World Phone and it's great but I miss the camera. I am going to wait a month to replace it even thouigh I can now. I want the new Blackberry Tour. Look it up on Blackerry's website. It's the 9630 Tour.

I just got the new blackberry curve after waiting in line for almost 2 hours in the midst of everyone who wanted the new IPhone, and honestly i can't find anything that the Iphone can do that the blackberry can. I love my AT&T service and have never had a problem with it...I've had it for almost 3 years, and the only place I can't get service is some of the out of the way places in Dutchess County (grr...Pawling and Unionvale) other than that I have full bars, even at my house which is apparently a Verizon dead spot according to the rest of my family who has Verizon.

I like the blackberry curve it looks cool!!!!!!! B)

the here say is that Iphone will be coming to Verizon unknown date though........ I really think Verizon is far superior... in 2 years I have maybe two dropped calls....

the here say is that Iphone will be coming to Verizon unknown date though........ I really think Verizon is far superior... in 2 years I have maybe two dropped calls....

There have been tons of rumors floating around and you may find some Verizon reps trying to pass that too as a way to get you to sign he dotted line. Fact is, AT&T has (at least reported) an exclusive agreement until the end of 09. Additionally, i am not sure Verizon is ready to give up the control Apple wants when it comes to distribution and technical support. Besides, it's cheaper for Apple to create 1 GSM phone and lock it to carriers than it is to make a GSM version for AT&T and the rest of the world and a CDMA version for Verizon. Maybe in a few years when LTE (4G data tech) is up and running but i highly doubt before.

Hey all I am looking for some help. I recentley got a Blackberry Curve and I love it. Very addicting. Anyway, was able to Sync my phone with Yahoo Calendar and Phone book. Now when I try and update it says Yahoo server is temporarily inaccessable. This has happened for a week. Yahoo does not have Tech support where you can talk to somebody and when I try and put it into the help feature on the website I don't get anything close. I called Verizon and they couldn't help me either. Does anyone out there know what could be wrong? Is there a way I can switch everything I have done with Yahoo to another calendar without retyping it all? I really don't think that the Yahoo server could be down for that long. Thanks for any help you can give.

Joe, I just upgraded to the Blackberry Tour on Verizon a week ago, 3G, email and everything with a full (real ) keyboard and it works great.