Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KC2OBW

Which departments in the area have tillers?

44 posts in this topic

Just curious who has Tillers..I know the City of Kingston has a tiller, My grandfather used to be a tiller man for them years ago, and also any one care to share some tiller pics?

Chelsea Hook & Ladder in Nyack has one

Mamaroneck village ladder 20

Hastings-on-Hudson, too.

Total of four in Rockland County. Three or four in Nassau. Four in Bergen. One in Orange (not counting the Leider collection, of course!), not sure about Dutchess or Putnam.

Hastings-on-Hudson, too.

Total of four in Rockland County. Three or four in Nassau. Four in Bergen. One in Orange (not counting the Leider collection, of course!), not sure about Dutchess or Putnam.

No ladders, let alone a tiller in Putnam. All tower ladders, or ladder towers here.

New Haven FD has a few (sorry, don't recall exact numbers).

Hastings-on-Hudson, too.

Zero Tillers in Dutchess (at least active/in-service ones).

Two in Westchester: Mamaroneck Village and Hastings

Four in Rockland: Nyack (x2), Haverstraw and Suffern

Three in Nassau: Glen Cove, Freeport and Elmont

City of Middletown Truck 1x ( orange county )

Bergen Co, NJ 4 TDA ...1) Cliffside Park, 2) Garfield, 3) Ridgefield Park, 4) Rutherford.

No ladders, let alone a tiller in Putnam. All tower ladders, or ladder towers here.

Does Cold Spring still have 13-5-1 ?

Somebody mentioned New Haven, Ct. I believe there is two. Truck 2 on Howard Ave., and Truck 4 on Groffe St, off Dixwell. The City of New London, Ct has one, Ladder 25 on Broad St. I think all are Seagraves, and some beautiful rigs.

A collector in the Taftville Section of Norwich, Ct has a 1962 (?) Seagrave Tiller parked in his yard. The rig is in beautiful shape and I believe he bought it from the City of Norwich for $5,000, if I remember correctly. Its an open cab, and had recently been repowered and painted with a new diseal engine and auto trans. He keeps it covered in his back yard.

13 in NYC.

I can think of a few more who could use one.

How beneficial are they in departments, as it now needs two qualified drivers to hit the road?

DSC_7543.jpg

Haverstraw's 1937 Peter Pirsch 75' TDA [4-75] Privately Owned

4-99_004.jpg

Haverstraw's 1969 Peter Pirsch 100' TDA Delivery Photo [4-99] Notice The Truck Was Delivered With A Roof - Photo Courtesy Chris/res6cue

DSC_5124.jpg

Haverstraw's 1969 Peter Pirsch 100' TDA [4-99] Still In Service

VC4.jpg

Nyack's 2000 Seagrave 100' TDA [10-98]

DSC_4049.jpg

Nyack's 1999 Pierce Quantum 100' TDA [10-99]

DSC02965-1.jpg

Suffern's 1973 Seagrave 100' TDA [19-99] Photo Courtesy Suffern Fire Department

Does Cold Spring still have 13-5-1 ?

Not sure if they still have it. It was listed on EBay last year, and in the listing said it had a bad water pump.

New Haven's L-2 is a fairly new Seagrave Tiller, as is New London's L-25. Rumor has it that Norwalk CT is in the market for a Seagrave TDA. I wish there were more out there its the true symbol of a fire truck.

First let me say, they are some great photos. I wish I knew how to post photos on a computer because I have about 30 years worth of fire appartus photos. Plenty of tillers too. But, that doesn"t get the job done.

Anyway, "MJP399" asked what the benefits are of using a Tiller. These Tiller Ladders would get you into narrow streets that even Engines had trouble pulling into. If you had the right driver, and tillerman, you could get anyplace that the tractor could get in. As far as having two drivers needed, I can"t say this is true now, BUT, where I was ONLY the front driver needed a drivers license. The reason that it was like that as I understand it is, The Front Driver had all control of the truck while it was moving. (Brakes, speed, steering etc). So the Tillerman didn"t even need a drivers license.

There is NO WAY that the average rearmount or ladder tower would ever get into some of the streets these Tillers can. And let me say, Its a lot easier to pull into the street, and set up the aerial to the roof, than park at the corner and Carry Ground Ladders down the street. And that doesn"t count the time involved if somebody is trapped waiting for that 35 ft ground ladder, or the engine crew is waiting to get the roof opened to stretch their line.

As cities lost Tillers, they lost a valuable piece of equipment.

I can think of a few more who could use one.

Me too.

Cold Springs' 13-5-1, if my memory serves me right is ex Carmel 12-5-1 and that's a mid mount.

Somebody mentioned New Haven, Ct. I believe there is two. Truck 2 on Howard Ave., and Truck 4 on Groffe St, off Dixwell. The City of New London, Ct has one, Ladder 25 on Broad St. I think all are Seagraves, and some beautiful rigs.

A collector in the Taftville Section of Norwich, Ct has a 1962 (?) Seagrave Tiller parked in his yard. The rig is in beautiful shape and I believe he bought it from the City of Norwich for $5,000, if I remember correctly. Its an open cab, and had recently been repowered and painted with a new diseal engine and auto trans. He keeps it covered in his back yard.

Yes, New Haven has 2 TRACTOR DRAWN AERIAL LADDERS in service (sorry I hate the work "tiller" as it only refers to the rear steering position and not the whole truck). Truck 2 on Howard Avenue was just placed into service this year. Truck 4 on Goffe Street was placed into service about 2 years ago. Both a Seagrave Marauder IIs and are part of the original "Great White Fleet" (Sorry Suffern H & L!!!). Old Truck 4 and Truck 2 are still in the reserve pool as spares (one ins a 1986/7 the other is a 1988 I believe, both Seagraves)

New London replaced their well-worn 1977 ALF Century TDA this past years also with a Seagrave TDA, now operating out of HQ as A-25. As far as I know they still have the old ALF as a spare.

The Norwich rig, yes it was Norwich Fire's old semi-open cab TDA that was in service until 1996 I believe (I am not quite sure) when it was replaced by their current LTI / Simon Duplex 85-ft tower. It was last in service at teh old FD HQ downtown before they moved into their current HQ. It was kept as Ladder 2 (spare) until the "city" purchased Taftville's old Seagrave rear-mount (ex FDNY rig) for a spare.

The only other city's in CT that had ever operated TDAs that I know of were Bridgeport and Hartford but all of thier rigs have been gone since the 1980s / 1990s. Hartford is all tower ladders while Brigeport operates 1 tower, 2 rear mounts, 1 mid-mount and a rearmount engine- quint.

City of Kingston (Ulster County) Truck 1

I have heard that my dept. (Norwalk) is strongly considering a Seagrave tiller for the replacement of Truck 1. It would probably be at HQ as Truck 2 if bought. The area served (SONO) is very conducive to an aerial with that degree of manueverability. I guess I could only dream for the time being...

The only other city's in CT that had ever operated TDAs that I know of were Bridgeport and Hartford but all of thier rigs have been gone since the 1980s / 1990s. Hartford is all tower ladders while Brigeport operates 1 tower, 2 rear mounts, 1 mid-mount and a rearmount engine- quint.

Stamford Fire and Rescue ran one as well, not sure of years though.

I have heard that my dept. (Norwalk) is strongly considering a Seagrave tiller for the replacement of Truck 1. It would probably be at HQ as Truck 2 if bought. The area served (SONO) is very conducive to an aerial with that degree of manueverability. I guess I could only dream for the time being...

I have a lot of respect for the guys down in SONO....having working at the aquarium before, the SONO area is a older, historic district that could pose great difficulties to responders. The building uses have changed and been renovated many times, I know a few buildings that started as factories and are now offices, storage and manufacturing as well as other extremely varied mixed uses. I know of one building that started as cold storage building that has been renovated and now has a storage facility, printing and engraving press and small electronics repair and a small manufacturing shop in it and another that started as a train steam engine builder and a iron working shop that now houses part of the aquarium. The street layout is very tight and this area of Norwalk is very busy...combine that with the difficulties that a waterfront pose to response and operations, a TDA would not be a bad idea. If only the price tag was not so large. Good Luck, I hope guys have good fortune and get what you need and want.

Me too.

Cold Springs' 13-5-1, if my memory serves me right is ex Carmel 12-5-1 and that's a mid mount.

Yea it was and Carmel had it in lime.

Two in Westchester: Mamaroneck Village and Hastings

Four in Rockland: Nyack (x2), Haverstraw and Suffern

Three in Nassau: Glen Cove, Freeport and Elmont

Re: Nassau- Doesn't Great Neck (Alert) also run one?

Re: Nassau- Doesn't Great Neck (Alert) also run one?

No, they replaced their ALF TDA a while back with an ALF rearmount.

No, they replaced their ALF TDA a while back with an ALF rearmount.

Thanks for the update Izzy

IZZY, that 62 Seagrave in Norwich was replaced by a 79 (?) ALF Tiller that ran out of the old hqs on Chestnut St. The 62 Seagrave Tiller was a Reserve at that time as Ladder 2, before getting the rearmount from Taftville.

Also, I believe in Connecticut, Meriden ran an ALF Tiller years back. Stamford had a classic Tiller as Ladder 1. It had a Mack "R" Model Tractor.

I think there is a member of this site who is a retired Hartford Firefighter. Years ago he published a book called "Tillers of Connecticut". He goes by the name "Alarmroom". I think.