Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Typewriters Live On in NYPD

5 posts in this topic

Typewriters live on in New York police department

July 13, 2009 -- Updated 2124 GMT By Jason Kessler

NEW YORK (CNN) -- In 2009, some units of the New York Police Department still function more like "Dragnet" than "CSI." They rely on typewriters.

Records show New York City signed a $432,900 contract for typewriter maintenance with in 2008.

NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne confirmed the department's continued, if limited, use of the 20th-century writing devices, explaining that they're mainly used for filling out property vouchers -- forms that officers must file when they seize items during case investigations. The typewriters also are retained in case a technological meltdown disables the NYPD's computers, he said.

FULL STORY: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/13/ne...ters/index.html

No wonder why NYPD cops still think Barney Miller was the most realistic police show about the NYPD!!!!

I am sure somewhere in NYPD someone is still using a rotary phone

I can still see Andy Sipowitz(?) on NYPD Blue on his typewriter while looking over his reading glasses at someone and cursing them out!! What a great show by the way.

Oh so true. I was a detective that retired five years ago. At that time ALL reports were done by typerwriter.