Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LFD171

Thornwood - Another New Engine?

20 posts in this topic

Today's JN legal notices shows that Thornwood is soliciting bids for another pumper. Can someone from Thornwood advise if this is a re-bid for the pumper the were ordering at the beginning of the year to replace E-290 or a second new pumper? Thanks

FD171

Today's JN legal notices shows that Thornwood is soliciting bids for another pumper. Can someone from Thornwood advise if this is a re-bid for the pumper the were ordering at the beginning of the year to replace E-290 or a second new pumper? Thanks

FD171

Re-bid.

I wonder what specs they wrote that it was rebid ?

Is that what you are getting? Were the specs written for a Sutphen?

Is that what you are getting? Were the specs written for a Sutphen?

If they were spec"ed around one company. they could get in trouble !

Specs for a specific company is a common practice around here and in many other areas. If that was the route Thornwood took I'm sure they would not have certified the results without receiving enough competent bids.

If that was the route Thornwood took I'm sure they would not have certified the results without receiving enough competent bids.

Absolutely correct ny10570!

Specs for a specific company is a common practice around here and in many other areas. If that was the route Thornwood took I'm sure they would not have certified the results without receiving enough competent bids.

There is a very fine line on that common practice between specing a specific company and bid rigging (which is a crime in NYS). I do not know about thornwood, but I have seen many depts certified these bids with only one vendor...the one they wanted. And they often pay a large price for that, since everyone knew the fix (wink) was in.

There are ways to bid a specific brand. One brand we were looking into, their bid package read something like "the successful bidder shall have sold apparatus to a minimum of six FD's serving a population of 250,000 or more". Another brand specified that the full apparatus shall be constructed of stainless steel (only one brand I know of makes their cab out of S/S). I am sure that other brands have their specific wording for their bid packages. All the sales reps know this and they can tell within looking at the first few pages of the bid specs which brand the FD wants.

There is a very fine line on that common practice between specing a specific company and bid rigging (which is a crime in NYS). I do not know about thornwood, but I have seen many depts certified these bids with only one vendor...the one they wanted. And they often pay a large price for that, since everyone knew the fix (wink) was in.

Thank you , I know we do it right !

There are ways to bid a specific brand. One brand we were looking into, their bid package read something like "the successful bidder shall have sold apparatus to a minimum of six FD's serving a population of 250,000 or more".

That particular one only limits the very small manufacturers. KME,E-one, Pierce, Smeal, Seagrave, Ferarra, ALF etc. all can meet this one.

I liked one spec that stated: "the mudflaps must have the manufacturers tri colored logo and name in script" we changed that to "mudflaps shall be black rubber, the manufacturer MAY include there name and/or logo at no additional charge to the purchaser".

Another one said the manufacturers plant shall be within X miles of a specific airport or other landmark. Still others have stated the dealer must maintain a shop within the county (meanwhile others have shops that are much closer, but they are not in the county). Unless you can justify why these things are truly critical then this is bid rigging. And you are putting your dept at risk.

All the sales reps know this and they can tell within looking at the first few pages of the bid specs which brand the FD wants.

Very true, unless you write performance specs, instead of letting the dealer you want "write" your spec.

did thornwood get the new engine?

did thornwood get the new engine?

Thornwood did get the new engine...its been out and about driver training and such. It is not in service yet though.