Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Water Jel Blanket - Burn Care Products

12 posts in this topic

The Water Jel blanket was first marketed in Westchester County NY back in the late 1970's early 1980. Trilling Resourses Inc was from East Hartsdale Ave, Hartsdale NY. The television show "That's Incredible" seen on channel 7 ABC filmed a demonstration of the excellent product with The Fairview Fire Dept. (Greenburgh).

Different sizes are now available and have assisted many with even minor burns.

Just wondering if any forum members have used the blanket or can share local stories about it.

Information www.waterjel.com

Had them on the old Patrol 4 and used them a few times once when we where using the Jaws we rapped a trapped front seat driver in one while removing her, the car was still on fire on I-95.

From a personal experience I can tell you that the product works great. I had second degree burns from a pot of scalding water that I had spilled and the waterjel that I had on hand took away most of the pain and definetly cooled the area.

Several years ago I used Water Jel on a on a patient who was burned while lighting a BBQ.

The Water Jel worked very well and began to cool the burned area and did take away some of the pain.

I have also used Water Jel on severe sun burn (my own) :lol:

Again it worked very well cooling the burned area and took away the pain.

I've noticed that Water Jel is not so popular anymore with EMS but

very common in First Aid Kits.

Rumors were that it was good for "temporary" relief of Minor Burns however if they were

Severe Burns the ER or Burn Unit would have to clean off all the Water Jel from the patient causing even more pain

and discomfort. I know some EMS agencies pulled this product off the ambulances.

Do any Westchester EMS agencies still carry Water Jel?

TR54, I actually remember seeing it on "That's Incredible" lol

post-3-1249103572.jpg

post-3-1249103712.jpg

I've also used it on myself for minor burns when I got a box of small packets from a trade show a few years ago and it worked fairly well. Funny enough it stung mine when I first put it on and then it helped lower the pain index.

You'd have to check with your region (ie, Westchester or Hudson Valley) however the use of water gel is not protocol compliant. Current BLS protocol calls for dry sterile dressings which is the accepted standard that usually comes down from those who treat burn injuries. In some discussions with nurse management staff at the Westchester Burn Center also says they do not like any additional contaminants in the wounds which is what the material becomes and hence as mentioned has to be cleansed from the wound.

At Con Edison, we use it for incidents involving electrical burns. I only know of one person who made a critical mistake that could have killed him. Luckily, Gel blanket was used and after much time spent in Cornell's burn unit, you can't even tell he was burned. Much credit was given to the use of the water gel blanket (and, of course, the doctors, as well.)

I have had some experience with water jell in all my years in the fire service. I also thought it stung a little before getting rid of most of the pain :o ... I mostly used it for minor hand and arm burns because I use to work in a pizza place.. I had a Lt. at work who is retired now that had gotten some thy burns in a flashover back when they wore hip boots and the scar that he has is noticably less where the water jell was.

Thank you for your replies so far ! It is interesting to me because the Water Jel is a "quick - ready to go" treatment for burns but leaves Medics & EMTs with the NYS protocol question. As we know, protocol must be followed !Burn Centers are still going to have victims show up with Water Jel applied.

Could the state recognize a product like this and add it to the list of treatments ? or as ALSfirefighter mentioned , does this lead to possible additional contaminants in the burn site ?

Everyone I've spoken to repeats RWC130's post - they are common in First Aid kits, minor burns - thats all you need.

Thank you for your replies so far ! It is interesting to me because the Water Jel is a "quick - ready to go" treatment for burns but leaves Medics & EMTs with the NYS protocol question. As we know, protocol must be followed !

We use it to Extinguish burning clothing, and stop the burning process. One must be careful leaving it on for too long because of hypothermia.

NYS Protocol - Burns (Thermal/Electrical)

I. Assure that the scene is safe for entry. If danger of contamination is present, it may be necessary to obtain assistance from trained rescue and/or fire personnel.

II. Extinguish burning clothing, and stop the burning process.

Step #9;

IX. For all burns determine the thickness and percent of body surface area. Treat as follows:

A. Partial thickness burns covering 10% or less of total body surface area: Apply moistened sterile dressings or moistened burn sheets to the burned area(s).

B. Full thickness burns and burns covering more than 10% of body surface area: Apply dry sterile dressings or burn sheets to the burned area(s).

So during the 1st 8 steps we are not breaking protocol. Then, particularly because of hypothermia we need to switch.

Burn Centers are still going to have victims show up with Water Jel applied.

When I worked at NYH-Cornell (NYC's primary burn center) we saw burn victims being brought in almost daily. Many were still smoldering, that means they are still cooking. When you take that steak off the BBQ its still cooking. I think if you monitor for shock & temp its no issue.

Could the state recognize a product like this and add it to the list of treatments ? or as ALSfirefighter mentioned , does this lead to possible additional contaminants in the burn site ?

I've used it twice and both times the burn units told us that the anti-bacterial jel helped reduce post infections, particularly since the patients wounds had been contaminated with multiple items (both were rescued from structure fires).

I too have used it alot in the past - the one that sticks out the most is a HVAC worker who got 100 percent steam burns at a local school....this was right before Saint's was designated a trauma center.

They WERE very popular back in the 90's in my old department, but were all removed after it was determined that burn centers preferred to have patients, as mentioned above, free of contaminants/gels/etc..

I was pleased to see one on NR's Engine 25. I personally think when used right, they beneifts outweight the negatives.

I believe one of the voluntary units in NYC was trying them out but I never heard any more. As it was explained to me at Cornell, the water jell washes off well enough from intact skin and open wounds are being debrided anyway. It doesn't make a real difference in their treatment and usually stopped the burning sooner and made the patient more comfortable. This was anecdotal, but does seem to make sense.

The Water Jel blanket was first marketed in Westchester County NY back in the late 1970's early 1980. Trilling Resourses Inc was from East Hartsdale Ave, Hartsdale NY. The television show "That's Incredible" seen on channel 7 ABC filmed a demonstration of the excellent product with The Fairview Fire Dept. (Greenburgh).

Different sizes are now available and have assisted many with even minor burns.

Just wondering if any forum members have used the blanket or can share local stories about it.

Information www.waterjel.com

I remember an incident at Indian Point where a contractor or maintenance employee contacted a high voltage line. The incident burned the cloths right off and a sheet turned brown from the heat before a water jel blanket was applied. I believe the person survived and it was due to the water jel blanket. The guy who would know is Steve Vanburen, former chief of the fire brigade at Indian Point, now retired.

If anyone knows where Chief VanBuren is, see if he can give the actual account of what happened.

Stay safe,