Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Marine Operations

14 posts in this topic

A question in a thread on EMTBravoUpstate got me thinking about this so I decided to post it down here to see what our answer(s) are.

What is a "Marine Unit"? Sure, you have a boat and CAD calls it "Marine 789" but what equipment do you carry, what training do you have (not just fire training but navigation, search, boat operations, etc.), what are your crew requirements, etc.?

Are there weather/sea limits to what you'll go out in?

Do you operate at night? What equipment do you have to make night operations safe and efficient?

Does anyone require a Captain's license to operate the vessel?

How do you coordinate your efforts with other vessels on the water or resources involved in the response?

Do you have written SOP's for marine operations?

What PPE do you require for personnel operating on the boat or in support of their operations?

In New Fairfield, we train fairly often on the water during summertime months. Marine unit operators must demonstrate working knowledge of the craft as well as a navigational knowledge of Candlewood Lake (Squantz Pond and Ball Pond aren't big enough to need navigational knowledge of, you can see everything.) The crew requirements vary depending on what vessel we're talking about because of the capacities of the different boats, we have 4.

We train on water rescue operations, search operations, fire suppression on for brush, structure or vessel fires that we will often get in isolated areas or on one of the many islands of Candlewood Lake.

Generally you also need to be able to operate a vehicle that can tow the boat you are using before you can get checked off and prove that you can actually tow it, though Marine 1 is always parked at the town boat launch, so that's the exception.

We don't really have a problem with sea limits on Candlewood, but weather limits are up to the determination of the IC I believe.

Only a CT DEP Personal Water Craft license is required to operate our boats, as well as a department-sanctioned drug test.

We have the radio frequencies of every fire/EMS agency except Danbury on the lake on our radios, as well as the marine emergency channel that we can utilize to communicate with various other specialized units (DEP EnCon, State Police, Danbury Police Dive Team, Newtown Underwater Search and Rescue, etc) that we come in contact with.

Anyone within I believe 30 feet of the shoreline is required to wear a PFD, and firefighting turnout gear is required when responding to a fire on the lake, obviously.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions. At least thats how we do things.

Edited by SageVigiles

Thanks for the reply!

You require FF to wear structural firefighting gear while operating on a boat? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a lot like carrying an anchor if you fall in? There's no buoyancy in that PPE so can you actually swim while wearing it? Now we've got a topic!

Oh yeah (thanks to an anonymous member for reminding me about this one) who has boats equipped to be out when there's ice on the water?

Let me rewrite a little bit of sages response. I am also from New Fairfield and i believe he ment to say bring your turnout gear with you but MUST wear a Life Vest at all time while on one of our boats. I'm sure thats what he ment.

Now I personally have seen not only firefighters wearing turnout gear while on a boat but as well as an airpack! You want to talk about anchor!!!!!!!

Yeah, sorry I didn't specify that. Chris, Ball Pond (Chris and I's company) has a flat bottom bass boat that can be used on the ice without a problem, as well as the Rescue Alive sled system.

I remember a few years back(maybe 2002 or 2003), we did a drill in the pool and the SCBA actually helps you float. Once the water fills up your boots and soaks the turnout gear, it is just like treading water. We did this in response to a large dock where people were concerned about drowning. The drill was conducted at Yerwood Center on the West Side. Maybe someone else can fill in the details for me, as I only actually remember floating with the SCBA on.

All boat crew members must have a First Aid, CPR, and US Coast Guard Boating Safety certifications. Our vessel has firefighting and medical capabilities (on the Hudson you will find certain boats are geared towards different operations). Spare turn out gear is kept on the dock box for members to use for fire fighting operations. While many believe that wearing structural gear with an SCBA will way you down, our department was shown in a water rescue course that it is possible to stay afloat wearing full turnout and SCBA. The vessel has FLIR capabilities to search for victims in the water. We often go out with departments from our surrounding area and from the Rockland side as well.

FDNY actually tested the buoyancy of their gear. Its initially buoyant, but as water displaces air it begins to drag you down. I believe they came up with 5 minutes of buoyancy as long as the member reduced their motion. More thrashing meant faster sinking.

A question in a thread on EMTBravoUpstate got me thinking about this so I decided to post it down here to see what our answer(s) are.

What is a "Marine Unit"? Sure, you have a boat and CAD calls it "Marine 789" but what equipment do you carry, what training do you have (not just fire training but navigation, search, boat operations, etc.), what are your crew requirements, etc.?

Are there weather/sea limits to what you'll go out in?

Do you operate at night? What equipment do you have to make night operations safe and efficient?

Does anyone require a Captain's license to operate the vessel?

How do you coordinate your efforts with other vessels on the water or resources involved in the response?

Do you have written SOP's for marine operations?

What PPE do you require for personnel operating on the boat or in support of their operations?

What about a fishing pole ??? ;)

What about a fishing pole ??? ;)

zebco travel pole....always under my seat in my truck haha

Sadly this thread died a quick death but I have one more question. Does anyone have year round boats/response capabilities? What about dealing with ice?

In Westchester County, the Montrose VAFD has their Marine unit in service year round. The boat is not docked but can be deployed quickly once dispatched. Depending on the tide, Marine 21 can be launched off of the boat ramp on the Hudson River, or most scenario's trailored to Georges Island (Dutch St.) and launched from there. But Marine 21 has made a few responses when other Marine units are OOS due to seasonal conditions. Remember FDVA is just a call away!

In Westchester County, the Montrose VAFD has their Marine unit in service year round. The boat is not docked but can be deployed quickly once dispatched. Depending on the tide, Marine 21 can be launched off of the boat ramp on the Hudson River, or most scenario's trailored to Georges Island (Dutch St.) and launched from there. But Marine 21 has made a few responses when other Marine units are OOS due to seasonal conditions. Remember FDVA is just a call away!

So your boat can work the river even with ice present? What kind of boat is it?