Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mdm911

Mid Hudson NYSP Lab Closing

9 posts in this topic

NEWBURGH — A state police forensic lab that examines evidence for most police agencies in the Hudson Valley will shut down in 60 days, leaving local law enforcement agencies to deal with potential added costs and delays.

Full Article on PoJoNews.com: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

This sounds like an awful idea to me.

Does anyone think this may lead to Dutchess County being more likely to open up a lab? Previously the Medical Examiner's office wanted a lab. Maybe a new lab would meet the needs of local law enforcement and the medical examiner's office.

Does anyone think this may lead to Dutchess County being more likely to open up a lab? Previously the Medical Examiner's office wanted a lab. Maybe a new lab would meet the needs of local law enforcement and the medical examiner's office.

Yes it's a VERY stupid move.

I seriously doubt Dutchess would do something like that especially not in the way the economy is. Things like that cost lots of money (hence the reason why the state is closingthe lab)

Yes it's a VERY stupid move.

I seriously doubt Dutchess would do something like that especially not in the way the economy is. Things like that cost lots of money (hence the reason why the state is closingthe lab)

According to the article, the reason the lab is being closed is that the lab is on airport grounds in exchange for the State Police providing security to the airport. Now the SP is no longer providing security.

As a sidebar, does anyone know who is currently providing security at Stewart? Port Authority PD?

SP is no longer providing security, since when? They no longer have a barracks there, but I still thought there were troopers assigned to the airport.

Last I knew the NYSP Aviation Unit was assigned there at the very least. I know Port Authority leased Stewart for something ridiculous like 99 years, so maybe PAPD is assigned to protect it. Hopefully this means PAPD will be hiring...

Edited by SageVigiles

I'm sure that cost has something to do with it and there may have been some kind of deal with the SP got the space for the lab in exchange for part of the security detail working there.

I have not heard that PAPD is taking over security there but does make sense since they now operate the airport.

SP Aviation and the NYC DEP PD Aviation Unit are both based there but that is unlikely to change since it has nothing to do with the police coverage at the airport.

Closing a regional crime lab is a really stupid move if they think it will save money. I doubt most of the upper Hudson Valley counties can afford or have the volume to support their own labs and now the cost of the regional lab is just being passed on to the locals who will have to travel to other more distant labs for their work.

According to a recent article, (I'll see if I can find it and link to it), SP is discontinuing Stewart Airport and the Javits Center as patrol posts to save money. Currently, Town of New Windsor is in negotiations with the PA to fund a patrol post at Stewart.

Here is one article from Mid Hudson News.com August 14, 2009

New Windsor PD could take over patrols of Stewart terminal

NEW WINDSOR – With the announced pullout of the State Police from patrols at the Stewart Airport passenger terminal, the Port Authority must come up with another agency to provide the police coverage and that may very well be the local New Windsor Town Police Department.

Town Supervisor George Green told MidHudsonNews.com that there have been discussions about it.

For those following this story, here is another article that appeared in The Sentinal (a small, local paper):

NW and PA Negotiating

Meghan Fitzpatrick

On Friday, August 21, New Windsor Supervisor George Green met with representatives from the Port Authority regarding the upcoming need for policing services at Stewart International Airport. Two weeks ago, the New York State Police announced that officers will be pulled out of Stewart Airport and the Mid-Hudson Crime Laboratory will be closing.

“We’re just talking about it,” Green said about a potential agreement for the town’s police department providing services to the airport. “Nothing is written in stone.”

Green acknowledged the Port Authority’s time constraints – approximately three months before the state police leave. “It’s a very short window to do a whole lot of work,” he said.