Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

New 2010 Series EPA Compliant Engines Not Compatible With Exhaust Evauation Systems

5 posts in this topic

I'd certainly hope any department today not outfitted for safe removal of diesel e/p residue would have that item as one of their highest priorities for the members. Diesel particulate has been a silent killer in the fire service for decades.

just to throw a little munkey wrench in......Our union also fought hard to get a system for every rig. The new E-25 can not be used on the system. Detroit D. & Pierce will void the warranty and we were told the new exhaust system will melt the hose.

But on the good note it captures the particulates in the system. over the next 20 years as rigs are replaced, you will see less and less need for these systems.

just to throw a little munkey wrench in......Our union also fought hard to get a system for every rig. The new E-25 can not be used on the system. Detroit D. & Pierce will void the warranty and we were told the new exhaust system will melt the hose.

But on the good note it captures the particulates in the system. over the next 20 years as rigs are replaced, you will see less and less need for these systems.

What system do you have Capt? Ward No Smoke? We run the Magnagrip hose systems and have not heard word one from Detroit or Cummins. We have melted one hose after prolonged connection while running a pump. This should have been expected as each shift was "trained" on the system and had been instructed to not run engines above an idle for over 5 minutes, but alas if they keep forcing us to hire humans we'll keep breaking stuff :)

The one issue I have read about is the regeneration causing extremely high exhaust temps, but as long as you don't run a regen on the hose system, I'd think the normal gases should run cool enough?

What system do you have Capt? Ward No Smoke? We run the Magnagrip hose systems and have not heard word one from Detroit or Cummins. We have melted one hose after prolonged connection while running a pump. This should have been expected as each shift was "trained" on the system and had been instructed to not run engines above an idle for over 5 minutes, but alas if they keep forcing us to hire humans we'll keep breaking stuff :)

The one issue I have read about is the regeneration causing extremely high exhaust temps, but as long as you don't run a regen on the hose system, I'd think the normal gases should run cool enough?

Its the new standard Detroit 60. We do not have the Ward no smoke. Even before regen, the temps are much higher

Its the new standard Detroit 60. We do not have the Ward no smoke. Even before regen, the temps are much higher

Ah, yes we haven't bought a Detroit for a few years now, as we've gone to Cummins. So Detriot has an issue with exhaust extraction systems? Is this due to potentially causing increased back pressure in the exhaust system or the opposite being the system pulls the exhaust and can cause the turbo fan to turn with no oil up inside?

I know ARI Hetra and Magnagrip both offer a "high temp hose" for connection, but what that's rated for I couldn't say. Our hose issue came at the bend where it rides in the saddle that carries it along the track.

As you said, if they work out all the other bugs, we should see a day when particulate from diesel exhaust is negligible. In the mean time our enignes get far more electronically complicated and more prone to systemic problems.

These systems also take up more room on the chasis. Look carefully when designing new apparatus, and make sure warning placards are placed near these systems. They can cause serious burns in areas normally considered "safe" on Eninges.

And for those in drier areas, be careful, the radiant heat can cause brush fires......