Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anesti

Fire Patrol To Return?

10 posts in this topic

Bought the daily news this morning and turned to page 6 to see the article legislation/lawmakers in albany want to force the insurance industry to bankroll the 90 man unit

I hope that's true.

Cogs

How do you get on that job anyway or how was the application process

What is Fire Patrol and what do they do? All I know is they are in the City.

They go into buildings and throw salvage covers and dewater buildings during and after fires. There were 10 at one time, down to 3. A number of people I work with are former Patrolios.

Is this lady joking? She obviously has no clue. The long lost art of SALVAGE is what Fire Patrol specializes in, and that's what saves the money. They aren't "risking their lives to save a computer" as their primary mission, it is to PREVENT further damage and property loss from fire and disaster. Someone needs to schedule this lady for a ride along.

The insurance industry's lobby group also opposes the patrol's return.

"The organization no longer has any real value," said Ellen Melchionni, head of the New York Insurance Association, who said recent improvements in fire suppression systems have drastically limited property damage.

"The insurance companies who would be funding the patrol don't think it's necessary," said Melchionni. "Plus, we don't want the patrol risking their lives to save a desk or computer."

Is this lady joking? She obviously has no clue. The long lost art of SALVAGE is what Fire Patrol specializes in, and that's what saves the money. They aren't "risking their lives to save a computer" as their primary mission, it is to PREVENT further damage and property loss from fire and disaster. Someone needs to schedule this lady for a ride along.

Penny wise, pound foolish. She's a typical corporate bean counter who only sees the immediate bottom line. Why save something when they can replace it and jack up the premiums?

Edited by FFPCogs

Obviously, I will have to weigh in on this topic. I can truly say that these guys are the real deal. They have saved many lives, that's human beings, trapped in burning buildings during the course of their duties. What are the insurance savings there? These guys made the difference between "out of business" and "closed for the rest of the day".

The insurance industry mentioned that they only save 1.5 million bucks a year, whats a cool million and a half between friends? I bet if they had the 10 patrol wagons and 10 utility trucks of day gone by they would be in great shape to triple the savings or better. NYC has a lot of ground to cover (and I complained about 15 calls the other day)!

Mention was made of Mr. Roma in the article. I have met him personally and he is a great guy. I've never met one of these guys that didn't do a fantastic job as a Patrolman and/or Patrol Officer.

Enough ranting for now. I have to get ready for drill tonight, after all Cos Cob is possibly the busiest fire patrol in the USA at the moment.

Obviously, I will have to weigh in on this topic. I can truly say that these guys are the real deal. They have saved many lives, that's human beings, trapped in burning buildings during the course of their duties. What are the insurance savings there? These guys made the difference between "out of business" and "closed for the rest of the day".

The insurance industry mentioned that they only save 1.5 million bucks a year, whats a cool million and a half between friends? I bet if they had the 10 patrol wagons and 10 utility trucks of day gone by they would be in great shape to triple the savings or better. NYC has a lot of ground to cover (and I complained about 15 calls the other day)!

Mention was made of Mr. Roma in the article. I have met him personally and he is a great guy. I've never met one of these guys that didn't do a fantastic job as a Patrolman and/or Patrol Officer.

Enough ranting for now. I have to get ready for drill tonight, after all Cos Cob is possibly the busiest fire patrol in the USA at the moment.

LONG LIVE THE PATROL!!