Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plectron

Communications Operator Trainee

23 posts in this topic

They currently have two lists available to canvass names from, but of course its all political and people who truly want the job do not get it!

I dont know why it is 2 seperate lists but the jobs are for Westchester County Police Communications and Westchester County Fire Control aka 60 Control

Anyone even slightly interested in a Civil Service job should take this test. You never know !

I remember getting that advice ..... take tests , take tests even if they are practice. It is a good experience and could be helpful on future tests. Sign up soon. :)

This may be a dumb question but whi is the starting Salary is pretty low for being in "westchester county" and with the way cost of living is for up here...

This may be a dumb question but whi is the starting Salary is pretty low for being in "westchester county" and with the way cost of living is for up here...

Not a dumb question IMHO; rather a very good point. The dispatchers are UNDERPAID, just like many of our EMS brothers and sisters in Westchester County.

Not a dumb question IMHO; rather a very good point. The dispatchers are UNDERPAID, just like many of our EMS brothers and sisters in Westchester County.

Believe it or not, the salary has come a long way from when I was first hired.....I think I still have a pay stub somewhere from @1994-1995 with the salary around 14K! That was the starting pay for a trainee.....remember, the traineeship salary is for a year - then you step up.....when I left there, (with OT) I was making @50K +/year.....

I do believe that dispatchers are neither paid nor given the recognition they deserve for the job they do.......it isn't easy handling the stress day after day.....spent 8 years doing it full time......

With the economy the way it is, I'm sure there's going to be a lot of competion this year.

Has Westchester funded any new positions?

Seth

Not that many people try to come to the PD everyone tries for Fire Control but also because of the data you have access too you go through an indepth backround check for the PD. I just started my 9th year there and have seen alot of people come and go

They currently have two lists available to canvass names from, but of course its all political and people who truly want the job do not get it!

mymack,

Not really sure why you think this job is political, I have worked at county Pd for some time and do not think it is that way. As Mofire24 said there have been alot of people come and go here but I really do not think it is political. If you truly want the job as you say than take the test if you pass the written and typeing I am sure you will get called for an interview.

Not true. I started my career with the County in this position many years ago and never saw even one political appointment.

This is a Civil Service, competitive position. You have to pass the test at some point.

Edited by dadbo46

Hmmm, might be something to look into..Especially with all the garbage going on in FDNY Communications.

Who took the typing test today? How did you do?

I have a question, once your done with the final stage 3 (law enforcement entry) and it says raise your hand then you click ok, it goes to the login screen. DOES THAT MEAN YOU PASSED THE TEST? If you failed the test, would it have told you and you would of had to have taken it over? (btw, im pretty sure there were instructions and im correct, but I forgot, or just paranoid :D

I'm with you lol. I finished the test, and nothing started over so I have no idea. If i remember correctly you passed and nothing was wrong

? In the mail, where else :D I meant to say for the typing test. I got my letter on Saturday. WHEN WILL WE HEAR ABOUT THE WRITTEN and ranking?

oohh ok I though you meant all the results... thanks

Your list will most likely be established at the beginning of January 2010. Your rank on the list with grade number will be mailed to you by the Westchester County Department of Human Resources.

Thats private. lol. I passed! U?

25 wpm 1 error. I totally screwed up the fire entry by missing one section, realizing it at the end, then having to quickly go back and retype the entire call, so that screwed everything up....no one to blame except myself.

The typing portion was pass/fail so it doesn't have any correlation to your list number just the written... Correct?

finally results are in!

PASSED ;)

Now can somebody explain how the list works? Whats a high and low rank? Whats "no restrictions" and "whats computational review only?"

Computational review is the process where you mail in the request form they sent you with the results, receive a confirmation with date/time/place, where you are allowed to compare your answer sheet to the official answer sheet. It means you can only see that the answer to question one was A, question two was C, etc. You check your answers to make sure it was scored properly. You are not privy to the actual answers ie; spotting a ladder truck from a building optimally is 35 feet, during computational review.

Edited by efdcapt115