Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dadbo46

Firefighters ‘forced' to bathe elephant

9 posts in this topic

From tonight's electronic version of "The Journal News."

Firefighters 'forced' to bathe elephant

September 3, 2009

NEW YORK (AP) - A fire union says a Brooklyn engine company had to close its firehouse for 30 minutes to go bathe a circus elephant, on city orders.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009909030429

I can't imagine why the company would be reluctant to participate in a photo op / press event for a major circus?

They probably wanted out-of-title pay for that 1/2 hour.

Maybe the members of the engine company are also members of PETA and have a philosophical disagreement with the treatment of circus animals.

Maybe with the seriousness of engine company closures being planned or already implemented, the company felt like it would look inappropriate at this point in time to be seen "making light" in a firehouse.

Edited by efdcapt115

In a funny way, I don't blame them, what would have been said if something had gone wrong and someone was hurt/killed? Would we be so critical of them? Remember part of what we are here for is being ready for what might go wrong and not just for dealing whatever has already gone wrong. Also, with all the budget/staffing cuts that are going on, closing a firehouse to wash an elephant does seem like a silly thing to do. I also firmly believe that the city probably wanted the house closed but is covering it but by changing the story after the fact.

As far as getting out-of-title-pay, I am not going to touch that topic!

Maybe with the seriousness of engine company closures being planned or already implemented, the company felt like it would look inappropriate at this point in time to be seen "making light" in a firehouse.

The article indicates they were supposed to spray the elephant as it walked by, not close down. Sounds like there was some miscommunication somewhere.

One of the comments from the blogs:

Gimme a break, if E245 was asked to "bathe" Suzie the Swedish Bikini Model, guys would be coming in on their days off to participate.

What I don't get about this whole thing is why is the firehouse "closed". I would assume that there is some old extra hose sitting around the firehouse. Why could they just not bring that and if they got an alarm, disconnect and go? These guys must drill all the time and I would assume that if they got an alarm during their drill they would pack up and respond. What's the difference?

Is it me or is the City of New York flipped it's lid? Isn't this the same city that wanted to close down companies like the one on City Island and they take a company out of service to pour water on an elephant? What if this animal got violent and hurt one of the guys?