Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Medic5274

Impact of Tax Exempt Properties on Public Safety Departments

6 posts in this topic

I am looking for information on how public safety departments, particularly fire departments deal with tax exempt properties and their budgets. In my municipality tax exempt properties is a huge budgertary problem. Almost 33% percent of the property is tax exempt. ( it is one of the highest in NY State). The public safety departments provide service to these tax exempt properties yet they contribute no tax money back to the municipality. We provide coverage fire coverage for 2 group homes for troubled youths, a college with dorms, a private high school with dorms, the public school system, a hospital, a nursing home and numerous houses of worship. We respond to at least one of these addresses several times a week.

Does anyone know of any way of recouping money from tax exempt agencies for services provided or have any programs or agreements in place that have been developed over the years with individual tax emexempt properties. We are a municipal funded fire department and there for do not have fire district tax money supporting or budget. NY State municipal law prevents direct taxation of the tax exempt property so I am looking for other ideas.

All departments in my municipality are facing anticiapted budget cuts in next years budget so I am looking for creative ways of increasing revenue streams.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

I am looking for information on how public safety departments, particularly fire departments deal with tax exempt properties and their budgets. In my municipality tax exempt properties is a huge budgertary problem. Almost 33% percent of the property is tax exempt. ( it is one of the highest in NY State). The public safety departments provide service to these tax exempt properties yet they contribute no tax money back to the municipality. We provide coverage fire coverage for 2 group homes for troubled youths, a college with dorms, a private high school with dorms, the public school system, a hospital, a nursing home and numerous houses of worship. We respond to at least one of these addresses several times a week.

Does anyone know of any way of recouping money from tax exempt agencies for services provided or have any programs or agreements in place that have been developed over the years with individual tax emexempt properties. We are a municipal funded fire department and there for do not have fire district tax money supporting or budget. NY State municipal law prevents direct taxation of the tax exempt property so I am looking for other ideas.

All departments in my municipality are facing anticiapted budget cuts in next years budget so I am looking for creative ways of increasing revenue streams.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Sent you a PM with some contact info. Get back to me.

This is obviously a significant issue anywhere that taxes are used to pay for services. Our tax-free property also hovers between 30-33% year to year. This, when faced with more tax cut programs, is a major issue. We looked into user type fees, to which our State says, NO! There are no fire districts and no provision to allow a separate fire tax. We wanted a City tax on lodging, being we're a vacation destinination, but no new taxes are allowed, only those imposed by the state.

We're looking to increase our fees to towns we provide ALS services to, to a rate which we can either hire more help or they'll stop calling. Either way, we need more staff or less calls. No raises this year, no increases in budget lines (aside from those outside our control).

We're approx. 47% tax exempt where I work. We have been working with Local, County, and State Government to work on a solution. Our problem is primary based on NYS Law, as we are a fire district, and unable to bill for EMS service, since we are a fire district, and not a City or Village Department.

Furthermore, NYS Comptroller issued an opinion that municipalities cannot use EMS billing as a way to turn a profit. Unfortunately, many City Manager-Types all too often see this as a way to do just that.

On a more interesting note, otherwise tax-exempt properties in NY are required to pay water and sewer assessments from their municipalities, as those are considered "essential" services....... kind of interesting, right?

Also the State has created the new MTA payroll tax that is on all entities. Fire Distrcts, churches, colleges etc. included. They are opening the door for us to tax tax exempts.

We're approx. 47% tax exempt where I work. We have been working with Local, County, and State Government to work on a solution. Our problem is primary based on NYS Law, as we are a fire district, and unable to bill for EMS service, since we are a fire district, and not a City or Village Department.

Furthermore, NYS Comptroller issued an opinion that municipalities cannot use EMS billing as a way to turn a profit. Unfortunately, many City Manager-Types all too often see this as a way to do just that.

On a more interesting note, otherwise tax-exempt properties in NY are required to pay water and sewer assessments from their municipalities, as those are considered "essential" services....... kind of interesting, right?

Mbendel thanks for the response and I will reach out to you. That is an interesting fact about tax exempts paying water and sewer assessments as essential services. Maybe this is something the disfunctional State Legisslature can rtake up to help the local emergency services.