Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest stephentyler20

Westchester county pistol permits?

19 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone knows whether pistol permits in Westchester County are still so strictly relegated? I picked up the paperwork a little over a year ago, and was so impressed at the county's audacity to require such vast amounts of information, that I didn't even bother filling it out. Has anything changed? Is anything expected to change?

Just reading about the latest Mt. Vernon shooting, and it always makes me wonder why it's easier for the bad guys to get guns illegally than it is for the good guys to have them for protection and practice, on the up and up!

Just curious if anyone knows whether pistol permits in Westchester County are still so strictly relegated? I picked up the paperwork a little over a year ago, and was so impressed at the county's audacity to require such vast amounts of information, that I didn't even bother filling it out. Has anything changed? Is anything expected to change?

Just reading about the latest Mt. Vernon shooting, and it always makes me wonder why it's easier for the bad guys to get guns illegally than it is for the good guys to have them for protection and practice, on the up and up!

You will probably find those same stringent requirements all around these days. I just got mine last month, and it took a LONG time, and a LOT of info was asked for prior.

If you have a real/legit reason to carry, then the wait and amount of info you need to give will be well worth it...

You will probably find those same stringent requirements all around these days. I just got mine last month, and it took a LONG time, and a LOT of info was asked for prior.

If you have a real/legit reason to carry, then the wait and amount of info you need to give will be well worth it...

It's far easier to receive one in Dutchess than it is in Westchester. To the best of my knowledge, it is still extremely difficult and restrictive and im sure investigation goes way beyond the FBI NICS.

I know a guy i went to high school with collects firearms (a variety of rifles and handguns, some modern but mostly vintage 1911s and revolvers) with his father and if i'm not mistaken they may have actually had some county agency come out and inspect their home for safe firearm storage or reloading practices. I didn't really ask too many questions about that when he mentioned it to me briefly, probably should have.

Thing is, I'd even be happy just to have a permit to carry to the range and back. I just want the thing in my house for security purposes...no reason to carry around. I don't see why the county powers that be have to be so absurdly strict in that regard.

Westchester is very strict about giving them out yes the process is long they just dont give them out to everyone that walks in the office. Will the paper work change anytime soon NO. Fill out the paperwork and go through the process

Try for a range permit in NYC and the Westchester carry process will seem like a breeze.

I am starting to hate Westchester County Even more and more each day, I Love you you can get a full carry in Dutchess or anywhere eles except NYC and carry it in to Westchester County as a Full Carry, but the Westchester Residence who pay Westchester County Taxes can get a Full Carry Permit period. This County just does not make sence at all. A County who takes our money and places limits on our Right to Bear ARMS! ONLY IN WESTCHESTER COUNTY,

Yeah good luck with that. In Dutchess and Ulster it's an easy process but the sheriffs office is backed up with applications. You should always apply for a full carry permit. You don't know when you may want to carry with you one day. What ever you do with your permit and if you decide to get a handgun is up to you. Although you should have the option to carry it outside of your home for self defense. There is nothing wrong with that.

Once your done with the red tape and waiting period spend the money and buy a couple of books and take an NRA Basic Pistol Safety Course. Some good reading is The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery from Massad Ayoob as well as the Gravest Extreme. If you plan to concealed carry also try The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry by Ayoob. You can find these books in Barnes and Noble and they are filled with good usefull information. Last but not least i'd go to a local criminal defense attorney. Take and hour of his time and have him explain how and where you as a civilian sit with the law when it comes to self defense and the use of force. The rules are greatly different for a civilian than someone who is a LEO. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the permit!

+1, I think about that everyday. I am not from westchester so i cant provide any further detail, but I am from CT and it took me about 3 months to get mine. I received it in july and now only short months after i hear it it up to 6 months. anything that deals with a firearm today is becoming increasingly tough. good luck. any idea on what you want?

Question...... I got my permit (Restricted) when I lived in Westchester many years back. Carry to and from range, only Target & Hunting I believe is the restriction. Now I live in Putnam County. Is there a way to get it amended to Full Carry now that I am out of Westchester ?

Question...... I got my permit (Restricted) when I lived in Westchester many years back. Carry to and from range, only Target & Hunting I believe is the restriction. Now I live in Putnam County. Is there a way to get it amended to Full Carry now that I am out of Westchester ?

Putnam, i've heard, is also extremely strict with pistol permits especially full carry. If you don't have a legitimate reason (usually work related) forget it. You probably need to re-apply in Putnam as i am sure the Westchester is expired or one would need to be re-certified....but even then you don't live in Westchester so i'm not sure how that would work...

Question for anyone that knows: do you need to actually own or intend to buy a firearm at the time you process your pistol permit? There are fields for the firearm information (maker, serial #, etc)...i don't intend to buy now but was thinking about filing for one..

Edited by Goose

Wow, I was surprised to see a pistol topic on here.

Westchester is a pretty tough County as far as pistol permits. As many have said, you can pretty much forget full-carry. I have a target restricted license and it took 3 months to receive which isn't bad at all. Its a lot of paperwork and running around, but worth it in my opinion.

I am definately pro-gun, but also pro gun control & safety. I don't believe that EVRYONE should be allowed to own/possess/carry a firearm. However, I do believe that any legal, law abiding, criminal-history-free citizen should have that right. Unfortunately, that's not how it works. I would love to be granted a full-carry permit to protect myself & family, but I'm happy to have a target only for now.

As Moggie said, read up & take classes. Masaad Ayoob is an excellent writter on all gun topics. You can find his articles in Handgun Magazine and many more.

As Sgt. Gumby stated, all the info you could need is on the County Clerks website. I must say, all of the people that i have dealt with in the Clerks office have been awesome. They are polite and patient for sure.

TCD, as far as i know, you should have advised Westchester Co. when you moved and then got your Putnam permit. Ive heard its easier (not by much) to get a full carry in Putnam.

Goose...yes, you need to "purchase" a gun before you hand in your application. You must list the make, model, caliber and serial number of the gun on your application. Its kind of silly that they do it this way. I wish they would review your application and if you're approved, then go out and purchase whichever firearm you please. I knew little about handguns prior to having my permit. So i just went with a Glock 9mm because i knew they had a good reputation and alot of LEO's use/carry them.

On a side note, my wife is from Vermont. We spend alot of time there and are actually going there this weekend. Vermont is a pro-gun state for sure. There is no permits, no long wait (a few days) and no registering your guns. I feel there is pros and cons to this obviously. But its nice to go there and carry if i so wish. Also nice to go outside of my father and brother-in-laws houses, set up targets and fire away without a worry.

Edited by BFD1054

BFD1054 is correct about purchase a gun first however that is only a rule in Westchester not in Dutchess in fact they will only issue a permit with out a gun on it first even if you have 1 lined up. I also do not belive that Putnam is nearly as tough to get a permit as Westchester and they offer full carry. TCD0415 got to Putnam County Sheriff or give them a call they should be able to help you.

Good Luck

Putnam, i've heard, is also extremely strict with pistol permits especially full carry. If you don't have a legitimate reason (usually work related) forget it. You probably need to re-apply in Putnam as i am sure the Westchester is expired or one would need to be re-certified....but even then you don't live in Westchester so i'm not sure how that would work...

Question for anyone that knows: do you need to actually own or intend to buy a firearm at the time you process your pistol permit? There are fields for the firearm information (maker, serial #, etc)...i don't intend to buy now but was thinking about filing for one..

You can now get a full carry in Putnam county which was not the case in the past. Full carry a few years ago had a business requirement.

This is why I live in Connecticut. God Bless the USA and the right to bear arms.

t6J.jpg

Now perhaps one of our LEO members can comment on the following; I have heard that Westchester in almost all cases will issue a restricted carry permit - target & hunting only, for instance. I have further heard - is this true?? - that carrying in violation of this permit (i.e. carrying when not hunting or going to the range) is not a criminal matter at all, it's an administrative violation at worst, and there's no penalty - the only possible sanction is taking away your license. The reason for this being, that as the law is written in NY, there is no wording in the law which provided for restrictions on when you can carry; the law only provides for licenses to carry, and licenses to possess but not carry.

True or false?

Mike

abaduck Posted Today, 02:51 AM

Now perhaps one of our LEO members can comment on the following; I have heard that Westchester in almost all cases will issue a restricted carry permit - target & hunting only, for instance. I have further heard - is this true?? - that carrying in violation of this permit (i.e. carrying when not hunting or going to the range) is not a criminal matter at all, it's an administrative violation at worst, and there's no penalty - the only possible sanction is taking away your license. The reason for this being, that as the law is written in NY, there is no wording in the law which provided for restrictions on when you can carry; the law only provides for licenses to carry, and licenses to possess but not carry.

True or false?

Mike

You won't need an LEO member to tell you that it's illegal. It will be more than a administrative violation. The licensing officer can place limits on your permit. Those limits are the law. If you are only allowed to carry from home to range/home to hunting you can only do that. If you are caught you will be arrested. Further more if your permit is revoked, your handguns will go with it. The law is very clear that you need a permit to have a handgun. The law does provide for licesnse to carry and licenses to possess.

Great conversation we have going. First and foremost, follow all of the rules, and know the rules. Just like our work in the fire service and EMS, training is a valuable asset. Know the laws, have suitable skills handling a weapon, and have the best equipment for your application. There are plenty of shops out there willing to sell you a hand cannon with all the bells and whistles, and while nice, they are also oftentimes impractical and very costly.

As for the law: One of the major debates in the last session of congress was legislation that would make other states allow everyone's concealed carry permit across state lines. I have several out of state CCW permits, and I maintain them for just this reason. All too often, there is a a taboo associated with gun ownership or concealed carry, usually tagged on by the same people pushing to limit legal ownership. I see nothing wrong with owning weapons suitable for defense of one's self, home, and family so long as the owner understands their responsibility as a gun owner, understands the laws and consequences surrounding the use of the firearm, and meets a training requirement of some sort. Furthermore, I have no issue with a few waiting periods (for supplements, etc.) as they stand, as I am buying the gun for a legal purpose. I am however, upset that all of these rules are put in place because of the actions of people who had no intention of ever following the rules, and whose illegal use of a firearm was just that- illegal.

A Republican NYS assemblyman I know put it best to me, "When was the last time you saw a guy robbing someone with a gun apologizing to his victim for using the gun, and to stay right there so he can ditch this gun and go get a baseball bat to use as a weapon"

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is a great resource on reciprocity, out of state CCW permits, etc.