Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

OK...so MAYBE there IS an issue....

6 posts in this topic

The issue is that no amount of signage is going to prevent a person with three time the legal limit of alcohol in their system from making a wrong turn. Maybe we need the "severe tire damage" strips like some malls have. It would also prevent people from backing up the ramps when they see the traffic stopped on the highway.

Chances are, that if someone is that drunk, they're not focusing on signs. Maybe paint "wrong way" on the road itself in big, bright letters...

def like the idea of the wrong way spike strips.... except for the fact that sometimes we have to get on the wrong way if the road is blocked... I suppose you can always still cross the median...

The fact that tens of thousands of drivers traverse the TSP and all its intersecting roads daily without a problem suggests that the road is not the problem. Intoxicated drivers are the problem. Occasionally, another errant driver may enter the parkway the wrong way but they generally notice their mistake and correct it before a mishap.

We should be combatting DWI to prevent/reduce this problem.

I totally agree with Chris. But I also feel that wrong-way drivers are probably not something new. It's just that since the accident of July 26th, everyone has become more aware.

People do make mistakes. Columbus Avenue in Thornwood/Valhalla for example has wrong-way drivers quite frequently. In fact, a young woman was killed in the 70's - but guess what? By a DRUNK wrong-way driver. Sober people realize their mistake, especially when people are blowing horns and gesturing to them - drunk people don't!