Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

3-County Response (sort of) for Montgomery Fire

12 posts in this topic

Date: 09-26-09

Time: 1245hrs (approx)

Frequency: Orange 911

Units: Montgomery FD, Coldenham FD, Glenham FD (Dutchess), Buchanan FD (Westchester), others

Description: Roll-off dumpster fire with minor extension to the structure

On Saturday, Sept. 26, the Buchanan & Glenham FD's were on stand-by at Coldenham FD as CFD had most of their apparatus in a parade. Buchanan E161 & Glenham E 43-11 stood by from approximately 10am - 4pm.

At about 1245hrs, as Coldenham members were preparing to leave for the parade, a call came over for a dumpster fire with possible extension to the structure in Montgomery FD's first due area. Glenham E43-11, Buchanan E161 & Coldenham Ladder 205 responded. I, along with one of my FF's responded on CFD L205 with a CFD driver, FF & Capt., as BFD E161 responded with a crew and Glenham E43-11 responded with a crew & a CFD FF as the "GPS."

We pulled into the shopping center to encounter a heavy smoke condition. Glenham E43-11 was 1st due (i believe), with Buchanan E161 close behind, while Montgomery Ladder (?) was the 1st due truck and Coldenham L205 was the 2nd due truck. The fire was located on the "B" side of the building. Lines were stretched from GFD 43-11 and Montgomery put their stick to the roof. CFD L205 was staged near the front entrance of Shop-Rite. It was a busy Saturday and between all the cars and people evacuated from Shop-Rite, it made staging a bit difficult.

Orange County Car-? was on the scene as a coordinator and released CFD L205 within approximatley 10 minutes. We (L205) then returned to Coldenham FD to find City of Newburgh Engine Co. 4 and Car 1 (?) standing by for coverage. As soon as Buchanan E161 & Glenham E43-11 were released from the scene, City of Newburgh E4 was returned. I had the chance to meet and talk to the NFD crew and they were some really cool guys. We were able to share a few laughs before they returned to the City.

I must say that this was a cool experience for me, as well as my crew from Buchanan. It was interesting to work with depts from (2) different counties and to see their response procedures. It was also a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. I thought it was a great call by the County Car to release the units that werent truly needed so that they could go back in service to release covering crews.

There was alot of staring at helmet fronts and alot of "whos engine is here?" CFD's safety officer was conducting accountability and it was quite funny to see his reaction when he was told who we were (the 2 Buchanan guys on their Ladder) and what engines were on scene (Buchanan and Glenham). There were some people there taking pictures, so it would be funny to see them with the different apparatus there. It was also funny to hear Orange 911 releasing Buchanan & Glenham from the scene lol.

A special thanks to Coldenham Chief Walt Miller (former Buchanan Lt.) and the rest of the CFD for the invite.

Edited by BFD1054

I was listening to that incident, it sounds like all did a good job. How much fire got into the building?

When I heard command say fire was doubtful I thought of the guys at the parade that normally handles that area and how some would be cursing under their breaths "damn parade, were missing something good"

I'm glad to hear everyone worked well together and got the job done....quickly!

In today’s world you never know who you will be working with.

JetPhoto, it was a great response by all involved. The dumpster was filled with all sorts of building materiels and some tires, hence the smoke condition. Crews quickly stretched lines, went inside to check for extension and to the roof as well. Extension was very minimal thanks to the quick response. Despite the different depts being there, there seemed to be no confusion. Everyone had a job to do and they did it.

It was actually kind of funny. We were approaching a 17k intersection where Coldenhams rigs were at a light on their way to the parade. Here we were lights and sirens as a Montgomery truck goes by en-route to the fire. Alot of people had confused looks on their faces as we were lights and sirens, but other rigs were just sitting there lol.

I was confused myself as we were watching a movie in Coldenhams ready room and didnt hear the initial dispatch. As i was gearing up, CFD's Lt informed me of what the call was and to get on their ladder truck. I had no idea that it was a Shop-Rite and didnt even realize it wasnt in Coldenhams district lol. As we were responding, i heard Orange 911 talking about a fire in Montgomery at a Shop-Rite and all the units that were responding and then it clicked lol.

Edited by BFD1054

how was communication handled ,especially from a westchester rig?

tjd....We (Buchanan & Glenham) were given portable radios to use for the duration of the stand-by. Chief Miller went over their Rescue-208 and all of its equipment as it was to be used by us for any medical or rescue calls. He also went over all communications and which channels to use so their was no issues.

nhfd....who knows, if i looked hard enough, there may have been a Putnam company lol.

Date: 09-26-09

Time: 1245hrs (approx)

Frequency: Orange 911

Units: Montgomery FD, Coldenham FD, Glenham FD (Dutchess), Buchanan FD (Westchester), others

Walden FD, Maybrook FD, Bullville FD, Silver Lake FD, & Goshen FD

Description: Roll-off dumpster fire with minor extension to the structure

On Saturday, Sept. 26, the Buchanan & Glenham FD's were on stand-by at Coldenham FD as CFD had most of their apparatus in a parade. Buchanan E161 & Glenham E 43-11 stood by from approximately 10am - 4pm.

At about 1245hrs, as Coldenham members were preparing to leave for the parade, a call came over for a dumpster fire with possible extension to the structure in Montgomery FD's first due area. Glenham E43-11, Buchanan E161 & Coldenham Ladder 205 responded. I, along with one of my FF's responded on CFD L205 with a CFD driver, FF & Capt., as BFD E161 responded with a crew and Glenham E43-11 responded with a crew & a CFD FF as the "GPS."

We pulled into the shopping center to encounter a heavy smoke condition. Glenham E43-11 was 1st due (i believe), with Buchanan E161 close behind, while Montgomery Ladder (?)221 was the 1st due truck and Coldenham L205 was the 2nd due truck. The fire was located on the "B" side of the building. Lines were stretched from GFD 43-11 and Montgomery put their stick to the roof. CFD L205 was staged near the front entrance of Shop-Rite. It was a busy Saturday and between all the cars and people evacuated from Shop-Rite, it made staging a bit difficult.

Silver Lake E-161, who was covering the district for Montgomery, was the 1st due engine. Their chief was first arriving and and requested a second alarm, although I don't think he knew what that brought. (FAST, 2 Trucks, & 4 Engines)

Orange County Car-? 36-12 was on the scene as a coordinator and released CFD L205 within approximatley 10 minutes. We (L205) then returned to Coldenham FD to find City of Newburgh Engine Co. 4 and Car 1 (?) standing by for coverage. As soon as Buchanan E161 & Glenham E43-11 were released from the scene, City of Newburgh E4 was returned. I had the chance to meet and talk to the NFD crew and they were some really cool guys. We were able to share a few laughs before they returned to the City.

City of Newburgh operates 2 engine companies, 1 & 3, I belive the current unit operated by E-1 is lettered 4.

I must say that this was a cool experience for me, as well as my crew from Buchanan. It was interesting to work with depts from (2) different counties and to see their response procedures. It was also a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. I thought it was a great call by the County Car to release the units that werent truly needed so that they could go back in service to release covering crews.

There was alot of staring at helmet fronts and alot of "whos engine is here?" CFD's safety officer was conducting accountability and it was quite funny to see his reaction when he was told who we were (the 2 Buchanan guys on their Ladder) and what engines were on scene (Buchanan and Glenham). There were some people there taking pictures, so it would be funny to see them with the different apparatus there. It was also funny to hear Orange 911 releasing Buchanan & Glenham from the scene lol.

A special thanks to Coldenham Chief Walt Miller (former Buchanan Lt.) and the rest of the CFD for the invite.

It was definitely an experience, especially since the first 3 arriving engines were not normally on the assignment (Silver Lake, Buchanan, & Glenham). If this fire were 15 - 20 minutes later it could have been a 4 or 5 county response because the way it was set was either Bloomingburg (Sullivan Co.) or Forest (Pike Co. PA) would have been responding to accompany the Walden Truck.

Not knocking anyone but this could have been a lot worse in normal response conditions. In fact with exception for Goshen FAST every unit on scene was manned in quarters already, due to the Orange County Parade being held in Walden.

Edited by 201/65

Wow, well then....i stand corrected. Thank you 201 for correcting my post so in depth.

Like i said, i had no idea how things work up there. I only know what i saw. As i said, City of Newburgh relocated an engine co, regardless of the unit #, they were there with an engine.

BFD, I meant nothing by it, I was just trying to fill in gaps as I saw.

I was listening to this on the way over to Walden and was thinking this is gonna be a SHORT parade! As I passed through Montgomery, I heard them cancel a couple of stand-bys, so I thought that was a good thing. Didn't hear much more about it, but everybody was back in line by the time the parade reached my vantage point (which, in 20/20 hindsight should have been a LOT closer to the start, but I digress......)

Sounds like they made quick work of the incident. Great job by all.

Oh......one more correction for the rundown. The Silver Lake engine in question is 156. :)

Edited by AndyC3J

201/65...no worries, i understand. I def wasnt trying to post it as an Incident Alert because (imo), it wasnt really IA worthy. I put it in an IA format to make it easier to read the basic info. I appreciate you adding what i missed because like i said, i had no idea of who was who and what was what lol. I was definately in another part of the woods that day.

I may not be correct, but it didnt seem like all of those units made it to the scene? Perhaps some canceled in route? Do you know whos ladder went to the roof because i could have sworn it was Montgomery, and Coldenhams Tower was the only other one there that i saw.

AndyC3J...it was quite funny, but the timing worked out perfect lol. I was in Coldenhams Tower and the Capt. had a partial uniform on. When we were returned, he checked the time and was happy to see that they still had about an hour before step off. Our driver, Walt (dont know his last name) was in full dress uniform, white gloves in all lol. I told him he was the best damn looking truck driver ive ever seen! It was a sight to see alot of the guys in parade pants and shirts though.

I may not be correct, but it didnt seem like all of those units made it to the scene? Perhaps some canceled in route? Do you know whos ladder went to the roof because i could have sworn it was Montgomery, and Coldenhams Tower was the only other one there that i saw.

I believe everyone but the Goshen FAST & stand-by Co's made it, we passed a Bullville Engine respondingwhenwe were returning.

Yes it was Montgomery's truck on the roof, they were the only truck to go to work I believe. Walden's truck was in the rear of the building, we actually met Coldenham's Tower at the 208/17k intersection on the way in.