Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

50 Years/50 Advancements

47 posts in this topic

Dedicated burn centers and hyperbaric chambers

30. RIT/FAST

31. Tower Ladders i.e. Aerialscopes as if there are any others ;)

32. Automatic Mutual Aid

Even in 1980 when I joined it was almost unheard of to call another department in unless it was a MAJOR fire...picture at least 3 alarms today.

Edited by FFPCogs

33. Positive Pressure Ventilation. Still debated and not used at every incident but is here !

Seat belt,s Traffic Vest,s Reflective striping on new rig,s

Seat belt,s Traffic Vest,s Reflective striping on new rig,s

Vests?

Puhhhhleeeze!

Computer Aided Dispatch and Records Management to store and transmit data on occupancies to responders...

35: No more BEER in the firehouses.

Part of "proving" yourself in the old days was how much smoke you could "eat" and how well you held your liquor.

Edited by Lucifer

Thanks for all your responses bros. Here's a few more items from memory lane that have gone the way of the Detroit Door Opener; into retirement:

bells on fire apparatus,

The cooper hose jacket (that's a goodie),

searchlight units,

claw tool,

Unique Shaped Leather Helmets,

brass couplings and fittings,

rubber turn-out coats,

red fireball gloves,

fire alarm boxes

& town sirens

(thanks for the list Danny)

The point of this thread was to give the retired Chief things to stir the memory, and to show how far the fire service has come, or maybe still has to go. I think we accomplished that somewhat so Happy 50 Years In The Fire Service FDMV Chief of Department Henry Campbell (ret.)!! Many of us in this forum have much to thank you for; our training, your leadership, and it was always fun marching down The Avenue with you on St. Patrick's Day; you cracking jokes that made some of us have to get out of line and find a head because we were laughing too hard. Stay well as you start your next 50.

Scene illumination advancements (tower and portable)

Mobile Cascade Systems

Prepiped Foam

Extrication equipment advancements

Bailout Systems

Mandatory Physicals and FIT Tests

Thanks for all your responses bros. Here's a few more items from memory lane that have gone the way of the Detroit Door Opener; into retirement:

bells on fire apparatus,

The cooper hose jacket (that's a goodie),

searchlight units,

claw tool,

Unique Shaped Leather Helmets,

brass couplings and fittings,

rubber turn-out coats,

red fireball gloves,

fire alarm boxes

& town sirens

(thanks for the list Danny)

The point of this thread was to give the retired Chief things to stir the memory, and to show how far the fire service has come, or maybe still has to go. I think we accomplished that somewhat so Happy 50 Years In The Fire Service FDMV Chief of Department Henry Campbell (ret.)!! Many of us in this forum have much to thank you for; our training, your leadership, and it was always fun marching down The Avenue with you on St. Patrick's Day; you cracking jokes that made some of us have to get out of line and find a head because we were laughing too hard. Stay well as you start your next 50.

Some of the thing you mentioned above Sir, are what, in my mind, absolutely MADE the fire service! I personally am/was sad to see alot of those fall by the wayside...especially fire alarm boxes in my area, Fireball gloves (they were THE best ! LOL!), rubber coats and 3/4 boots...

And I will still to this day take my old (yet perfectly OSHA compliant ;) ), battered and somewhat uniquely shaped leather lid over that funky swooped, high riding, cookie cutter helmet they are selling today!

Maybe I was born 20 years too late, but to me...that is the romance of the fire service.

Some of the thing you mentioned above Sir, are what, in my mind, absolutely MADE the fire service! I personally am/was sad to see alot of those fall by the wayside...especially fire alarm boxes in my area, Fireball gloves (they were THE best ! LOL!), rubber coats and 3/4 boots...

And I will still to this day take my old (yet perfectly OSHA compliant ;) ), battered and somewhat uniquely shaped leather lid over that funky swooped, high riding, cookie cutter helmet they are selling today!

Maybe I was born 20 years too late, but to me...that is the romance of the fire service.

Here Here !!

40 or so. How about computer regulated multiplexed pumps and aerials. Give me a manual throttle any day. I'm not too fond of having a little silicon chip decide whether or not I'm gonna get water or make the window for a rescue when the time comes. But that's progress I guess... :angry:

By the way anyone still using a Pompier (scaling) ladder out there?

Edited by FFPCogs

How about the hose from rubber booster lines to high combat and LDH and for that matter the pumps I’m sure 2000gpm wasn’t really possible at a scene in 1959

I see a lot of tools mentioned. Your best tool is the one that lies directly under your helmet.

Prior to 1959, it was rarely used. However, around 1959, a group of Westchester County Fiemen got together and formed a school for potential officers. It was taught by Emmanuel Fried in Mt. Vernon ( Young guys, google him) and was the start of FIRE SCIENCE in Westchester.

Firemen started using proven strategies and tactics, analyzing fire behavior, and thinking before acting. Why lo and behold, they even studied an incident command system.

The "tool" has undergone some changes over the years...some good,some not so good. But using the tool is now a given part of firefighting.

Let's use the tool to reduce FF LODD's...that hasn't changed much since 1959.

PS: Good thread George and Henry. And as Flynn says "CRAWL"

Development and increased use of the Knox Box Rapid Entry System in many areas to increase entry time and decrease wait time for "key holders" while additionally providing vital facility information and/or keys located in the box.

Edited by PEMO3