Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ladder44

FDNY apparatus collision Brooklyn 10/24/09

22 posts in this topic

My prayers go out to the boys and girls and their families. Be safe out their.

Thomas

2ff's trapped. One requiring extensive extrication. All yellow and green tag.

They were going to a reported gas leak in the street. Looks like 107 hit 236, hit an SUV, rolled on the chauffers side and slid into a tree. 236 went up on the sidewalk. Incident is still on going. Thoughts and Prayers, folks. Department Wrecker special called along with Wrecker from Mikes Towing to re-right 107. Members removed to KCH, Brookdale, and Jamaica. No word on how anyone is doing as of now.

Prayers go out to all brothers... hopefully they will all make a speedy recovery!

Looks like all injuries are minor. Numerous Hurst Tools and airbags put into operation. Things are starting to wrap up..

My thoughts and prayers are with the injured FF's, their families, and colleagues.

Any word on how the driver is doing tonight? my thoughs and prayers go out the the FF's and thier families. my admeration goes out to the borther firefighters that had to respond to the crash and help get everyone out of the rigs and i do respect the way that everyone on the scene went to work and were able to get everyone out with out further incident. i hope that everyone can make a speedy recovery and be able to return to work soon.

LCC was red-tag according to NYC EMS

The single biggest difference between EMS and Fire is the complete disconnect between the field personnel and the officers in EMS. Nothing like assessing your patient and finding them to be something and having your boss call them something else. While the LCC's injuries are significant he was in excellent shape and communicating with the crews throughout the extrication and transport to the ER. While in the grand scheme of things yellow vs red is semantics it matters to the people who hear this and know what it means. Rant over. Excellent job by FD on this. One hell of a tough job.

Not for nothing, but how hard is it to slow down and clear the intersection before you blast through it?

This was not an accident, it was a preventable occurence. When will we learn?

What was gained by driving like this, and in this case, what was lost?

Rant over...hope all make it through this ok, especially the driver of the rig that slammed into the other. I would hate to be in his shoes the most, having to live with that.

Not for nothing, but how hard is it to slow down and clear the intersection before you blast through it?

Well that's that then; I'm glad you were able to conduct such a comprehensive investigation into the accident - all the way from NH too! That's saved the FDNY a bunch of work. And I hope no-one ever pronounces summary judgment on YOU in such a fashion.

Don't ruin a great safety point by blaming the crews before the investigation is finished, ok?

By all accounts, great job by FD and EMS on this serious and touchy incident. I hope that everyone involved makes a speedy, complete and strong recovery. Hopefully there isn't too much finger pointing here and we can all just take a valuable lesson away from a bad situation. My company was involved in an accident with another Co., it's a really lousy situation and in the end, accidents happen, that's all there is too it.

Just remember, asses the situation. To what are you responding? What are the road conditions? ABOVE ALL ELSE: Slow down.

Trying to stop two multi, multi ton vehicles in the rain is tough, even at a "safe" speed.

Well that's that then; I'm glad you were able to conduct such a comprehensive investigation into the accident - all the way from NH too! That's saved the FDNY a bunch of work. And I hope no-one ever pronounces summary judgment on YOU in such a fashion.

Don't ruin a great safety point by blaming the crews before the investigation is finished, ok?

Agreed.....We were not there....once the investigation is completed and its findings released then we pass judgement and place blame.

We do not know all of the facts and details, for all we know one of the rigs could have suffered a catastrophic system failure causing the brakes to go and cause the accident like what happened in Boston (although that was a maintenance or lack there of issue if I remember correctly). All I am trying to say is that we can not and should not place blame until all relevant information is known.

Here is a NYTimes article about the crash and operations:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/nyregion...ml?ref=nyregion

Edited by bvfdjc316

I have to agree here. MOST accidents are preventable. In some rare cases they are due to extenuating circumstances such as mechanical failure or weather or such. However this APPEARS like many to be attributed to driving practices. Thankfully no one (MOS or civilians) were killed in what looks like a catastrophic collision. It is a miracle they ALL survived but some of their lives will be changed by this incident. How many apparatus accidents occur every year? and how many injuries or deaths occur from them? Don't we face enough inherent danger as it is? We must change the way we respond to incidents or this will continue to be a problem. You have to apply risk vs. benefit to responding as well. In this case the risk did not outweigh the benefit as we clearly see by the tragic outcome. I preach to my crew all the time about responding appropriately to every incident and they understand that I do this because I am ultimately responsible for us getting there safely and would have to answer for whatever went wrong. Just as the Officers of these two companies (as well as the chauffeurs) will have to do somewhere down the road. I hope everyone fully recovers and that the rest of us learn from this and SLOW DOWN and be more careful when responding. We owe that to each other and the public.

Point taken guys! Slow Down, but we don't need to be pounding this in here. The point is that people were hurt, serious or not, people, fellow brother's, were hurt and that's what we need to be focusing on. I wish all involved a speedy recovery.

This occured at an intersection between 2 lane side streets at a 4 way stop with good visibility. The truth is everyone cheats these intersections and as long as there are no cars waiting at the line you treat them almost like a green light since anyone approaching is suppose to stop. Just because everyone does it, doesn't make it right but at the same time find me anyone who does everything by the book.

Thanks for posting the transmissions, Brooklyn dispatch did an excellent job!

You're welcome...since the audio was edited by me and came off my website ;)

Chris , I added Signal-12 . com to the "Sites worth visiting" on the Forum.