Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

1957 Mack B-85F #1242

27 posts in this topic

I thought I'd start sharing a few pictures and history of the '57 B-Model Mack that I bought from the Gettysburg FD, my old college department. The rig has just finished being restored by Lady & Taylor Body Shop (Pennsylvania Fire Apparatus) in Gettysburg. After the gold leaf goes on and a few punch list items are done, I'll share post restoration pics as well (it will be red not slime lime). Lady & Taylor is also the company that myself and the rest of the Millwood Fire Company Antique Committee hired to restore the 1924 American LaFrance Brockway Torpedo while I was still in Gettysburg, and currently Chappaqua's antique Mack is there as well. Jere Lady who owns the shop does amazing work and he is also ex-Chief of the Heidlersburg FD from just north of Gettysburg who own the infamous green Sutphen Mack that has been discussed here before.

Engine 1-1 is nicknamed "The General Ike" because it stood by at President Eisenhower's farm in Gettysburg every time came and went and was the engine of choice to stand by for any big parties/gatherings held at the farm. Rumor has it, that it was (prior to 9-11-01) the only fire apparatus to be dedicated by a US President. E1-1 wears a plate on the front bumper with 5 stars and the words "General Ike".

It served Gettysburg continuously for 41 years from 1957 until 1998 when it was retired to training use when we purchased a 1998 75ft HME/Smeal Quint (Quint-1). In the late 1970's it was repowered with a GM turbo diesel V-6, the manual transmission was replaced with an automatic, power steering was added, the hosebed raised to accomidate a 1000gal tank and it was painted slime lime to match the 1977 Seagrave engine and truck that were purchased in that color. From 1996-1998 I ran many calls on this engine. It sounded great and with modern (at the time) diesel power it moved well. It ran as third due engine, but saw quite a bit of work as Gettysburg is the busiest FD in the county and we were still supporting (at the time) the National Fire Academy over the border in MD as it's first due truck company. The General Ike often accompanied the truck on M/A calls so that we weren't relying on an unknown or potentially inexperienced MPO from another company to supply the stick when out of town.

First Pic - The General Ike's last fire action sometime in 1998.... Training fire in a farmhouse with New Oxford FD "The General" is the backup engine with 2000gal in the pond and 1000gal in the tank and lines stretched in case the primary source pumper (E13-1 or E13-2 in the distance) loses it's draft.

post-163-1256759502.jpg

Edited by mfc2257

General Ike's last day of active service before the new Quint arrives. Left to right... E1-3 (1979 or 1980 CF Mack ex-Yardley, PA Engine Zero) E1-2 (1977 Seagrave twin to the Truck refurbished by Pierce with Arrow cab mounted on Seagrave chassis) T-1 (1977 Seagrave 100ft RM on single axle) "The General Ike" and R-1 (198? Saulsbury/International Heavy Rescue)....

post-163-1256759596.jpg

Edited by mfc2257

Changing of the Guard. A sad day... but the 1998 Quint served the department very well for 10 years until both the 1977 Seagrave 100ft RM and the Quint were replaced by a 2008 Seagrave Marauder 100ft RM.

post-163-1256759906.jpg

Oh yeah... Kinda funny, the Federal Q2A (not a B with a brake) is so well broken in, that when you drive down the road above 40mph or so, it spins in the wind and growls just loud enough to hear when you let off the accelerator!

Can't wait to see the restoration pics. Good Luck with it!

Gotta love those old Macks. Looking forward to seeing the completed restoration

Is it being restored to original or last in service specs ?

Is it being restored to original or last in service specs ?

Somewhere inbetween.... Turbo diesel power, auto tranny, 1000gal tank are staying. During one of this rig's many modifications over the decades, twin hose reels were removed from above pump area and replaced with cross lays. As of today, L&T has one reel for me and might have another shortly. If that is the case, then cross lays will go. It was originally red and is red again. Original lettering and leaf will return. As you can see in the pics, it has early style "west coast" mirrors on it. They are staying for now as well, but I will most likely replace with original mirrors at a later date. Scott pak brackets on the running boards have been removed.

I'm having a hard time finding the spot where I'd like this piece to exist in its restoration. The fact of the matter is that all the modifications that were done to this truck are part of it's 41 years of active service. Some of those mods though were either not very useful, or done to test out a new concept. As of the way it stands now, I'd like the truck to exist in the form it was in when it was running as 1st & 2nd due prior to the purchase of the new 1977 Seagrave and the 1980 Mack from Yardley. Some purists will have issue with that, but the way I feel about it is that GFD bought this truck in 1957 and over time modified it to the point where it was able to put in 41 years of service... bringing it all the way back to 1957 spec would be eliminating a lot of what made this engine so reliable. Heck... If I really restored it to 1957 spec I'd have to weld a roof back on it... When GFD did one of the build inspections in 1957 they told the plant in Allentown to cut the roof off and make it a semi open cab....

Will I seen it in Tampa in feb at the winter meeting?

Yet to be determined... It would be nice, but I can't say yet.

The General Ike lives again... Ladders, gold leaf, striping, hose reels, and a few other odds and ins need to be added.

post-163-125788226692.jpg

post-163-125788229122.jpg

post-163-125788230007.jpg

post-163-125788230655.jpg

what is that FDNY american la france in the backround looks like an 82 or 83 lafrance from the front atleast? also nice job on the mack looks sweet !

mfc2257 if you go online to the Mack truck museum you can get file photos of the rig when it was delivered I think they ask for a small donation and you have to give them a chassis number that is what I did when we had our truck refurbed they sent a log book entry plus two 8x10 photos and a manual for the truck.

Nice Old Girl...I always had a soft spot for the B model's. Cant wait to see her finished nice job so far.

what is that FDNY american la france in the backround looks like an 82 or 83 lafrance from the front atleast? also nice job on the mack looks sweet !

Yes it's an old FDNY ALF Century. Jere Lady of Lady & Taylor Body Shop / Pennsylvania Fire Apparatus has refurbed several that continue to run today... See below....

Biglerville FD

how long ago was that pics any pics of the rig before refurb

The pics of it that I just posted were taken in September (it takes a while to get anything digital from the shop).... The pics of the truck as is was most recently in service at the beginning of this thread were taken in 1998 during my Junior year of college. As for pics from before it was painted slime lime in the late 1970's, they are all sitting in Gettysburg and I won't have my hands on them until I go back to do a final inspection on the current work in progress.

Hey mfc2257,

I am soooo glad I found this post. Engine 11 leaving town was like a friend dying. I can't believe I found her safe and more than sound after all these years. I lived a few doors down Hanover St and hung out at GFD quite a bit around 1976-78. She was my favorite truck, part of the Mack sisters. Great job with the restoration! Where is she now, Fla? While I'm at it, do you know where the '41 American Lafrance ladder ended up? I have the history of the GFD book, but is kind of contradictory in the selling of old #15. Is she still out there?

Thanks,

Chris

Found these pics today. Pic of cab is from H & H Pontiac's body shop parking lot waiting to be slimed, second pic is pumping water to fill a steam locomotive tender, Freedom Train maybe? I can't remember but the timing would be right.

post-19726-031642200 1279501668.jpg

post-19726-026580300 1279501678.jpg

Edited by GFD11

The truck was painted, hose bed raised so the tank could be enlarged, converted to an automatic, and repowered with a GM turbo diesel v6. It has been painted red again as of this year and it is being gold leafed as we speak and will make it's way to FL by the end of the year.

I don't recall what happened to the 41 ALF ladder, but the 1940's Mack was sold to a collector near Gettysburg in the late 1990's. It was still seeing limited use in the early '90's and the last fire it ran I believe it pumped through the night in an ally off the square for the big Sentz Cleaners fire. That was 1992 or 1993 if I'm not mistaken. Sadly this truck burned in the collectors barn a few years back.

Edited by mfc2257

I don't recall what happened to the 41 ALF ladder, but the 1940's Mack was sold to a collector near Gettysburg in the late 1990's. It was still seeing limited use in the early '90's and the last fire it ran I believe it pumped through the night in an ally off the square for the big Sentz Cleaners fire. That was 1992 or 1993 if I'm not mistaken. Sadly this truck burned in the collectors barn a few years back.

The History of the GFD book said the 1951 Mack (Engine 1-4) was sold to Lady and Taylor October 1998 but all bids were rejected for Engine 1-1. It doesn't mention 1-4 again but mentions you (by name) buying 1-1 1/12/05. The last time I saw 1-4 she was sent with 1-5 to the Kleffel's fire in Hanover. Imagine my surprise to see an almost 40 year old truck pulling pump duty! That really sucks if she's gone. There is something horrible about a firetruck burning in a fire. Thanks for the info, hope you enjoyed the pics, I thought I had more but can't find them.

Chris

Sighh,...my favorite. One of these days, I'll hit the lottery and buy a "B" to refurb with my own hands.

The General Ike is almost done. The gold leaf is complete. The hose reels are painted and are awaiting 1 part to be delivered so they can be mounted behind the cab. She was out last week and ran great as I am told. A few brackets need to be mounted and we'll be all set. Here are a few recent pics from the Adams County Volunteer Emergency Services Association Convention last week.

Photos credit to original photographer.

post-163-079292500 1281368497.jpg

post-163-095660500 1281368513.jpg

post-163-099684500 1281368523.jpg

Edited by mfc2257

The General Ike is almost done. The gold leaf is complete. The hose reels are painted and are awaiting 1 part to be delivered so they can be mounted behind the cab. She was out last week and ran great as I am told. A few brackets need to be mounted and we'll be all set. Here are a few recent pics from the Adams County Volunteer Emergency Services Association Convention last week.

Photos credit to original photographer.

That is just awesome! Brings back a lot of memories. Great job! Is it at Lady and Taylors? I'd like to go see it if it is, it's only 15 minutes away.

Chris

Yes It will be there until mid-late September.

Happy ogling. You'll see it finishedin person before I do.

Yes It will be there until mid-late September.

Happy ogling. You'll see it finishedin person before I do.

I'll give her a gentle caress for you :)