Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geppetto

White Plains public safety commissioner: I'm gone by year's end

9 posts in this topic

Journal News

By Rich Liebson and Ben Rubin

November 3, 2009

WHITE PLAINS - Just days after publicly clashing with the city's Common Council, Public Safety Commissioner Frank Straub made a surprise announcement Monday that he will resign at the end of the year, when a new mayor takes office.

http://www.lohud.com...e/2009911030346

Edited by jack10562
Source Site Copyright

Source: White Plains council looks to fire departing public safety boss

By Ben Rubin and Richard Liebson

The Journal News

November 12, 2009

WHITE PLAINS -- Two Common Council members asked for city attorneys this week to prepare legislation to fire Public Safety Commissioner Frank Straub, according to a City Hall source, the latest in Straub's sudden and public fall from favor....

http://www.lohud.com/article/20091112/NEWS02/911120339/Source--White-Plains-council-looks-to-fire-departing-public-safety-boss

I guess that's the political way of saying - "and don't let the door hit you on the way out."

the common council of white plains has no business telling commissioner straub how to do his job or firing him because he refused to do away with the 12 hour tours for the police and 24 hour tours for the fire dept, this is politics at its worst. I am emmbaressed by the actions of the two common councils members who pushed to have commissioner Straub fired

Council members expressed outrage over Straub's move, saying he effectively handed over a major concession to the unions for little in return

Really? Handing over a concession without return? If it raises morale and saves the taxpayers money, isn't it a win-win for both sides? The unions are happy and the city can say they gave something in good faith, and the city gets to say they lowered taxes because of the money it saves... Why is this an issue?

Update: Straub resigned today

lohud article: http://www.lohud.com/article/20091113/NEWS02/911130380/Straub-steps-down-as-public-safety-head-in-White-Plains

I know I am preaching to the choir here but this whole situation is insane. Why are we even having this debate, the current plan saves money and the brothers and sisters actually enjoy working the schedule. So where is the problem? It seems that the problem is the board wants to have its say in everything and certain egos and attitudes out there can not or will not be silences by good decision making and common sense. What is happening in White Plains is an shameful, demanding the change just because the unions did not have to give concessions to work for the city in a system that benefits both parties. Mayor-elect Bradley has been a family friend since before he was elected to go to Albany, I will see what he has to say when I see him next.

Its the whole if its not my idea its a bad idea mindset. Clearly the unions were after it, so why not get a little more from them for it.

That's the point the common council is seemingly hanging their hat on: why not use the shift schedule as a "carrot", and follow it up with other demands, for keeping it...(stick)

This is DISGUSTING. Politics at it's worst. The politicians in White Plains should be ashamed of themselves.

Jackson named acting White Plains public safety chief

By Richard Liebson • rliebson@lohud.com • November 19, 2009

White Plains Mayor Joseph Delfino confirmed today that he has appointed Daniel Jackson as the city’s acting public safety commissioner in the wake of Frank Straub’s resignation last week.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20091119/NEWS02/911190436/Jackson-named-acting-White-Plains-public-safety-chief?GID=YEwDnNcReubkN8HsJTMO9qVY/dmLH5j4WWr7DZKiiEE%3D