Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimmyPFD

Will election results effect your department?

7 posts in this topic

Will county and local election results effect your department? Will there be more or less support of your department's goals and agendas. Will it effect layoff vs. hiring? Will you now get the equipment or will they squash what was expected?

Food for thought and also a wake up call to those who think that their vote doesn't matter or it's a waste of time to get out there.

(post edited to correct spelling... as usual smile.gif

Edited by JimmyPFD

All I can say is that here in Stamford we are optimistic that our new mayor-elect will be more adept at and open to dealing with the issues in our fire services than the outgoing administration. Based on my knowledge of him I am confident he will. Unfortunately if things do not improve economically it is sure we will all suffer due to circumstance more so than the man. For now most guys I know paid and volunteer look to the future with wary anticipation of better things to come.

Cogs

Yeah...Now Mayor Mike is going to close houses and layoff some of the brothers.

did you hear something or just assuming whats going to happen??

Bloomy has a huge budget gap to fill. He has all ready demonstrated a desire to close firehouses. Its plainly obvious he is going to go after firehouses.

Layoffs are not going to happen with the current economic climate. They're too costly. If things change for the city, maybe then but there is plenty of space to scatter firefighters if they start closing houses.

Edited by ny10570

Election results may effect how my department (Allingtown in West Haven, CT) operates. The city charter has been revised after this election to include language that will allow the city to run a fire department. Up until now this was prohibited by the charter, which is why we have three independent fire taxation districts and three independent departments. The goal of the revision is to allow the city to consolidate all three districts into one.

There is still a LONG laundry list of things that need to be done before consolidation is possible, but this is the first real step.