Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atlanticfiretrucks.com

Best Lense for a Canon DSLR-Apparatus Shots

8 posts in this topic

I'm considering a new Lense for my Canon Rebel XSI.........I want a lense that will take good portrait shots of apparatus. I have the original 18-45mm lense that it came with, and I also bought a Sigma Zoom lense. I have heard the 5omm is a great lense for portraits. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Im a professional photographer as my day job and the best lens I would recomend for awesome portraits is the canon 50mm f/1.4 USM. Really sharp and very fast at focusing. Its not too expensive for what you get out of it. Depending on your budget, I could recommend others but I hope this helps a bit!

The Canon lens it came with, do you mean the 18-55 with Image Stabilization? (Indicated by IS)

I find that lens personally to be excellent for photographing fire apparatus. I also use a Tamron 18-270, which is an excellent "walkaround" lens for everyday use. Wide angle to telezoom in one lens is a great convience, especially when photographing incidents.

I don't know if Joe Pinto, Mike Messar, Mike Martinelli, Bill Johhson, Eli Gill, or the many other great apparatus photographers use a certain type of lens for their shots of apparatus, but I'd sure like to know!

Tommy Bendick also posted an awesome tutorial on this forum several years back on how a circular polarizer can really enhance an apparatus shot:

The Canon lens it came with, do you mean the 18-55 with Image Stabilization? (Indicated by IS)

I find that lens personally to be excellent for photographing fire apparatus. I also use a Tamron 18-270, which is an excellent "walkaround" lens for everyday use. Wide angle to telezoom in one lens is a great convience, especially when photographing incidents.

I don't know if Joe Pinto, Mike Messar, Mike Martinelli, Bill Johhson, Eli Gill, or the many other great apparatus photographers use a certain type of lens for their shots of apparatus, but I'd sure like to know!

Tommy Bendick also posted an awesome tutorial on this forum several years back on how a circular polarizer can really enhance an apparatus shot:

For my Canon 20D and XTI I use a Canon 18-200mm IS lens. For portraits and up close photography I use a Canon 60mm Macro Lens. I also have a 18-55mm IS Canon lens. I use the 18-200mm 95% of the time when photography apparatus or at fires.

Edited by jjpinto

I would like to say I have taken crap pictures with a great and expensive lens and I have taken great pictures with a cheap lens. In my opinion while the lens is important to a certain degree, I think angle, lighting, background, and the subject are more important. As well as knowing how to properly use your camera and its settings to the best of its ability. I took this photo for my depts. website with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II which sells for $99.95 on Amazon.com. I did however run it through Adobe Lightroom and would recommend you use either that program of Adobe Photoshop for picture touch up. I rarely take just apparatus photos but the 50mm seemed to work well when I did. However if you find yourself taking Fire pics an adjustable range lens is a must. Hope this helped

post-1309-0-05786400-1294160548.jpg

Edited by miami222

I am a photographer as well and recommend the 50 mm. I own a Canon 7D and recently bought the 50 mm 1.8 though I now realize I should have shelled out the extra $200 for the 1.4. I would also recommend a 24-70 mm just to own, it is one of the most versatile lenses you will own. I have a 18-55 mm, 28-90 mm, 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS USM, 70-300 mm IS USM, and a 50 mm 1.8. I edit all my photos through Camera Raw which is found through Adobe Bridge and Adobe Photoshop CS3 (I just upgraded to CS5 but am yet to install it)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=237353&id=50553669568

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=237336&id=50553669568

http://www.facebook.com/thewestchesterscenephotography

Edited by peterose313