Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMSer

H1N1 Vaccine - Poll Up

Influenza Vaccines   65 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you plan to receive the influenza vaccine(s)?

• I have already, or plan to receive the H1N1 and Seasonal vaccines
    • I have, or plan to receive the seasonal vaccine only
    • I have not, and/or do not plan to receive either vaccine

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 posts in this topic

i searched through other forums and i didn't see a clear section on whether emtbravo members would get the vaccine themselves or not.

i have the opportunity to get the shot this week and was considering it, but still unsure.

what do you think?

would you get it?

Already got mine. The government has assured us it is safe and my doctor is recommending it. It's been out for a while now and no unusually adverse reactions yet.

The government has assured us it is safe

That makes me feel better... yeah, right. <_<

I got mine about a week ago from work and have had no adverse effects ( I got the injection not the spray).

Received the seasonal on September 16 and the H1N1 (injection) a week ago today. No problems.

That makes me feel better... yeah, right. <_<

Hey, you can trust the government. Ask any Indian. (Native American for you PC type)

The day i recieved the shot I did not feel good about 1hr after it . The next day I was OK. Headache and stomach cramping

Its made the same way the seasonal vaccine is. If you believe in the safety of one you can have faith in the safety of the other.

EMSer likes this

Didnt get any. never have, possibly never will.

Edited by 99subi

Vaccines are responsible for the elimination polio. The concept worked then and it should again now.

Edited by OoO

I've gotten it about two weeks ago.. I haven't grown a pigs tail yet.... lol

I think the hype of this whole thing, has gotten way out of hand.. All people have to do is, WASH YOUR HANDS, and if your sick... STAY HOME....

I think the hype of this whole thing, has gotten way out of hand.. All people have to do is, WASH YOUR HANDS, and if your sick... STAY HOME....

Amen! It is just another strain of 'The Flu'.

Taking standard precautions, as you said, can just short of rule out any chance of getting it, just like any other communicable virus!!!

I have recieved both and I haven't had any problems.

Just a tid bit of info. People with supressed immune systems should get the shot. I read on the internet, that they should NOT get the LIVE vaccine of H1N1. Trying to figure out how anybody would know if it's a live vaccine?

Tuna

The injectable form of the H1N1 is the inert form. The spray is the live virus vaccine.

I have received both and as always everything is fine. Rarely will you get a reaction or some minor flu symptoms with the injectable form because it is a non-live form of the virus to assist with immunity.

I have gotten the flu shot every year for 18 years now and have not gotten the flu in that time span. Prior to that I gotten several times as a resistant teenager. I bet many of you took up the opportunity when coming into our business to get the Hepatitis B vaccine and you will get exposed to the flu tons more times then Hep B. Have a dog? You take them yearly for vaccines...they do just fine as well.

Standard precautions are always a must and will assist with several types of illnesses, however remember that influenza is highly virulent and for those of us with direct patient care (and germ magnent kids) that the vaccine offers an additional level of protection for you. The point is I don't want to get sick and have to stay home. I know what I'm doing to protect myself from getting any of the flu types...however not everyone is taking the same precautions and actions I am and I am not putting my health in their hands. I also have young children to go home to that I do not want to risk getting ill either.

Get the vaccine....its better to have it and takes 2 seconds. Every wonder why we have not ever had a pandemic like that of the early 1900's? The vaccines you got as a kid have more risks for bigger problems and (most) of you seem to have turned out fine. You don't have measles, mumps, rubella, smallpox, polio, diptheria, pertusses and tetnus. I have also in my military travels received the anthrax, typhoid (live virus vaccine and you do get symptoms) and plague.

Its always a personal choice, but one I believe is important and highly recommend to my family and co-workers. I also had my children vaccinated with both and they are fine and did so nearly 2 months ago.

The injectable form of the H1N1 is the inert form. The spray is the live virus vaccine.

I have received both and as always everything is fine. Rarely will you get a reaction or some minor flu symptoms with the injectable form because it is a non-live form of the virus to assist with immunity.

I have gotten the flu shot every year for 18 years now and have not gotten the flu in that time span. Prior to that I gotten several times as a resistant teenager. I bet many of you took up the opportunity when coming into our business to get the Hepatitis B vaccine and you will get exposed to the flu tons more times then Hep B. Have a dog? You take them yearly for vaccines...they do just fine as well.

Standard precautions are always a must and will assist with several types of illnesses, however remember that influenza is highly virulent and for those of us with direct patient care (and germ magnent kids) that the vaccine offers an additional level of protection for you. The point is I don't want to get sick and have to stay home. I know what I'm doing to protect myself from getting any of the flu types...however not everyone is taking the same precautions and actions I am and I am not putting my health in their hands. I also have young children to go home to that I do not want to risk getting ill either.

Get the vaccine....its better to have it and takes 2 seconds. Every wonder why we have not ever had a pandemic like that of the early 1900's? The vaccines you got as a kid have more risks for bigger problems and (most) of you seem to have turned out fine. You don't have measles, mumps, rubella, smallpox, polio, diptheria, pertusses and tetnus. I have also in my military travels received the anthrax, typhoid (live virus vaccine and you do get symptoms) and plague.

Its always a personal choice, but one I believe is important and highly recommend to my family and co-workers. I also had my children vaccinated with both and they are fine and did so nearly 2 months ago.

Thanks so much for the information.

Now, if I could only find somewhere that is giving the regular flu shot. The Board of Health cancelled many of the places, including two senior centers in Mt. Pleasant. Sheesh <_<

Its made the same way the seasonal vaccine is. If you believe in the safety of one you can have faith in the safety of the other.

It's not EXACTLY the same, but close.

The H1N1 Shot has rare small chance that the individual may get Guillian Barre Syndrome - where the CNS attacks itself.

The Seasonal Shot has a ZERO chance of that happening...you tell me why the government says they're made EXACTLY the same...not true. Exact is not the same as similar.

Also an interesting fact - those of you who lived through the H1N1 Era circa 1950-1960's may have already come into contact with the weaker H1N1 then, thus your body already has built its defense for this version.

I can not understand why people do not get the flu vaccines especially health-care and emergency service workers. On every call we use universal standard precautions and BSI, how is having an immunity to a disease or virus any different. Especially one that can spread and affect individuals as wide spread as the ones this year.

For the record, I have gotten my seasonal flu vaccine back in September and have had to wait two months for the H1N1 vaccine to come to Vermont in the injectable form. (I fit 4 of the 6 or so categories of high/at-risk individuals).

Got the seasonal Flu shot approximately 3 weeks ago, H1N1 this morning (injection).

EMSer, the vaccines are not exactly the same, but production methods are. First a seed virus is created. There are two methods that I am aware of that are commonly used to create these seed viruses. One where an isolated flu strain is combined with another virus in an egg where the two combine DNA. The second involves scientists identifying, then engineering the surface proteins and adding them to a stock vaccine. These seed viruses are then distributed to the vaccine manufacturers where they are added to millions of eggs to produce the actual vaccine.

The link between the vaccine and guillain barre are correlational and an actual cause has yet to be identified. Since 1978 there have been seasonal vaccines that contained other H1N1 strains with no increase in reports of guillain barre.

Anyone exposed in 1976 or who received a seasonal vaccine containing an H1N1 variant may be immune because while the strains are not identical they are similar enough where the current H1N1 strain could stimulate a response.

Edited by ny10570