Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shadow12083

The Liabilities Of Being A Fire Commisioner

7 posts in this topic

I am thinking of running for an open fire commissioner spot and was wondering if I did get elected what our the personal liabilities with the job? I pretty much don't want to get elected and then something happen and my family loses our house because I am fire commissioner in the district.

So my question is our there any personal liabilities with being a fire commissioner?

if your interested the state holds classes for fire commissioner in different parts of the state call OFPC they are always helpful and informative about this stuff

I think as long as the budget you and your fellow board members create for the fire department appropriately reflects the department meeting the various PESH/ OSHA, and NFPA Standards that govern the fire service, then you will expose yourself to minimal liability.

I have heard of board members having insurance, but I am not certain. Is anyone out there a commissioner that can elaborate. What does the required training for being a fire commissioner say about this?

I am a commissioner and FF in my district. The duties of a Commissioner are many. As long as you do the right thing (dont approve chief officers that have no business being cheif officers, dont steal taxpayer money, dont get stupid with the money, and run legal stuff by your district lawyer) you cant really be held personally accountable for something as far being personally sued. There is a book thats put out by a lawfirm that is a basic "how to run a district". Follow it, and your golden. It costs about $100 or so, but it answers TONS of questions that pop up as to what to do in certain situations, how to exectue your duties, what those duties are, ect. It's a 3 inch think binder thats worth it's weight in gold.

As a commissioner, you have a much more direct impact on your dept as far as it's overall running. What equipment to buy, what SOP's to make/change, etc.

As a FF, I got tired of "thats how it is, and it will probably stay that way". So I ran for the board, got elected, (voter turnout was over 400 people) and am having a positive impact on my dept with suggesting new equipment, making suggestions, and general management of the district.

When you get elected, you have to attend a days worth of training that gives you the basics of what you need to do. Listen and you'll be on the right path.

It's a good thing, if you want to do it, make sure you get your letter and/or petition in soon to get put on the ballot.

shadow12083 likes this

I am not a commissioner nor was I ever one but I am a former chief who had to work with a board of fire commissioners. First I suggest you maintain your integrity and don't let the position go to your head. Your are a public official with alot of responsiblity and are there to serve the public and not your own political or personal agendas. Read and understand section 176 under town law which explains the duties of fire commissioners. Listen, respect, and work with your fire chiefs and don't interfere with thier duties especially on the fireground. Don't adopt policies or sop's behind thier backs or buy equipment without thier input. Include them with all of your ideas.

You will also have to vote on things like hiring people ( if in a career dept) or vendors to preform to services for the district. You will also have to vote on appointments of fire chiefs and do so knowing this is truly the right person for the job, not just the "allright guy". Probalby the most important item is the budget and buying equipment. Don't buy equipment because it looks cool or the next department has one. Buy stuff that is practical. Remember you are spending taxpayers money.

Like any other elected official you will have to make decisions that may not be popular. Dont be swayed or play the fence. I have seen this happen. Stick to your convictions and do what is right. How you vote could impact your department for years. Treat all members fairly and dont play favorites.

After you are elected Commissioner, go to the NYS Association of Fire Districts Educational Conference every November in Ellenville (formerly at Nevelle, now at Honors Haven).

Since you are a member of EMTBravo, something tells me you will do a good job for your community.