Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Westchester Is Burning!

22 posts in this topic

Anyone notice all the working fires in the past couple of weeks?

Just seems a lot more than usual. This past weekend you had

several departments here in Westchester with working fires.

"Westchester Is Burning"

In Peekskill we have had our share.

Keep up the good work brothers and BE SAFE!

WESTCHESTER... how about us yahoos up here in Putnam, i believe there have been 8 structure fires this month alone...

I think we all have been busy and doing good work together, all over the place not just Westchester and Putnam.

and as long as we all stay safe out there thats all that matters

Whens this fire coming to the Pelham/Pelham Manor Area? i am sure we could all use a little action in the smaller towns that don't see as much action.

Yeah, almost on monterey. It woulda been if our Ladder operator didnt get that water can in there as fast as he did. Great ladder placement though, no obstructions and woulda been right at the seat of the fire.

we didn't get paged out for it. what time was it at?

OK, first lets not go calling Westchester a fire factory quite yet.

Second, anyone who asks for or wishes for fire in their towns, you need a reality check. And if you do want one so bad, there is always your house or a close relatives. The "how bout a vacant building" theory doesn't fly with me either. Be careful what you wish for or you may just get it up close and personal so you lose your possessions.

Keep up the good work? On what, fire prevention? Us being safe isn't all that matters. Its just part of the puzzle.

ALS,

I really have no desire to see people losing everything they own. i ment more along the lines of maybe a dumpster fire, some brush fires. No one really wants a full blown 5 floor structure fire. i mean it is kinda exciting and all but slow is safe. we only get a handful of calls here in pelham manor and even fewer are workers. some places see some action more often. I guess i didn't word it right.

Anyway, Everyone stay safe out there is you do get a worker.

OK, first lets not go calling Westchester a fire factory quite yet.

AT NO POINT AND TIME DID I OR ANYONE IS THIS POST REFER TO

WESTCHESTER AS YOU PUT "FIRE FACTORY" READ MY POST!

The comments you made you should go back and read

and chill out a little bit. Respect ones comments and opinions as

we all do with yours.

ROB LOVES YA...BE SAFE BRO!

As I was saying.... A lot of working fires in Westchester and Putnam lately.. huh guys?

RWC: I never said you did say that did I, so maybe you might want to re-read mine. Perhaps my Bill Parcells like tone in the fire factory comment was a bit strong. I was just further referring to you using Westchester is Burning in quotes. I read your post, very clearly.

Burnt toast? We know all about stinking burnt toast don't we Robbo. lol.

EClemente: I never meant that comment to be taken personally by you. Being we both know each other I know your level of professionalism. That comment made by me was in reference to the way you did word it, but trust me you all aren't the first to read or hear that statement. I cannot stand anyone whom wishes, asks for, or hints that they would like a fire or wish a particular fire was in their area. That comment I first heard from an Asst. Chief iof the Virginia department I was a member of in reply to a comment by a new member.

=D>

ALS,

I don't always agree with you, but on this.... your dead right.

I understand the intent of this forum as asking if we seem to be having more activity than usual ( which I don't believe).

Structure fire, rubbish fire, brush fire, etc. are all a threat to public safety and our safety. Please ( and I point no fingers ) don't ever wish for a fire, you may just get it.

I wonder if anyone sat here and thought there was something wrong here? Is any department using these incidents to try and promote fire safety, or make targeted enhancments to their fire safety and prevention program? Is anybody going to their local politicans and asking for more funding for fire inspections? These incidents are proof that fires still happen in this county, and we need to be even more proactive and proud to make them NOT happen. (even though we all know that sometimes they will, no matter what). We just need to start thinking of each fire as a learning oppurtunity and ammunition for more funding and legislation, rather than just for "bragging rights".

I understand my above statments do not correlate to the initial purpose of this thread, I just wanted to throw that out there.

I can't imagine that all of you people actually hear all of these calls we should give credit to EMT BRAVO NETWORK.

Thats why we know about most of the calls. Keep up the good

work you bunch of buff's. :rolleyes:

I wonder if anyone sat here and thought there was something wrong here? Is any department using these incidents to try and promote fire safety, or make targeted enhancments to their fire safety and prevention program? Is anybody going to their local politicans and asking for more funding for fire inspections? These incidents are proof that fires still happen in this county, and we need to be even more proactive and proud to make them NOT happen. (even though we all know that sometimes they will, no matter what). We just need to start thinking of each fire as a learning oppurtunity and ammunition for more funding and legislation, rather than just for "bragging rights".

I understand my above statments do not correlate to the initial purpose of this thread, I just wanted to throw that out there.

Not for me to accuse anyone of being a killjoy here, but it's been a busy winter all around, I would say.

One thing I have learned, there are those who relish in the heavy fire duty, and others who let lose an ahhh @#$% when they get toned out for a working fire. There is a happy medium in all of this. Hopefully, when members of departments reach a certain point in a career, they will find this medium. The Firefighter who doesn't like to hear the report of a fire, but grins like a kid on Christmas after all is done, knowing the tools they have in their hands and minds saved someones property, or more important, a life. Am I making sense here??

Fires are a sad fact of life, and yes there are many things a department can get out of it,experience,newer and better equipment and the training to use it. One of the biggest ones is Justification of existence. If fire activity is down, some firehouses may be reorganized or flat out closed. Something to consider.

Another point to consider is true experience. Sometimes firefighters can go for months, even YEARS, without catching a fire. Not only does this put the firefighter ina state complacency, it lowers the experience level of the dept in general. When you catch fires weekly, you get better at it, and no amount of time in the burn building or the smokehouse or a flashover simulator can make up for that.

EClemente:  I never meant that comment to be taken personally by you.  Being we both know each other I know your level of professionalism.  That comment made by me was in reference to the way you did word it,...

Wow he can be profesional :roll:

:wink: just kidding ......you should try living with him and all his fire talk....damn!!!

mrstrang1 yes alot of departments go without alot of fires and i understand your point with expierence but at the same time you have to remember why you joined not just cuase you have fun and like to fight fires but to help people remember that. And im not saying thats what you said or that anybody else said it, im guilty of it to. we in the fire service tend to forget the reason why there is a fire service, its to help people, remember everytime your pager goes off and you arrive to see something burning or a accident etc someone is suffering. yes i love what i do im sure you do to thats why we all like going to calls but to say you need more action for expierence thats going a little to far instead of saying that put your thoughts on and say to yourself hey we dont have enough expierence lets train, you can never train too much, and yes training is not like the real thing but its the best weve come up with yet.

The whole point of this thread is just about one person saying there were alot of jobs in a close amount of time...there wasn't any bashing...I'll just keep quiet...Sorry to interupt.

Ok to get back on track with the original discussion--yes it has been a busy start this year--especially in Peekskill--seems like it started in December and just kept going. I must commend you all though--including all the M/A companies that have come in. Putnam had their share as well. Here at home--THANKFULLY we have been quiet as far as fires. PI's are the winner lately(thanks to mother nature), and of course our little hazmat incident. I often wonder if what we do as far as fire prevention/education helps as far as keeping fires down. Is there really a way to tell or is it just luck? We do try and get to the community as well as get others in to help us spread the message (Mohegan's top notch program).

Let's all be safe out there!!!