Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Three Women Sought in South Norwalk Train Assault

8 posts in this topic

Women Sought in Train Assault

Rebecca Santillo

WTNH News Channel 8

South Norwalk (WTNH) - Commuters will tell you they get to know their conductors. So, many are outraged by seeing surveillance photos that seem to show the suspects all smiles after allegedly beating up a conductor.

Here's my question, and why this is emergency services related. I know that NY State has a law where assault on an MTA employee is the same as assaulting a PO, Firefighter or EMT, but does that law apply in Connecticut?

Either way, I hope these three get caught.

Edited by jack10562
fixed link ;-)

Sage it should be the same for both NYS and CT for the MTA. You have to remember, the incident happened on Metro North property as I believe (not 100% sure or if I am using the right wording)is considered private property. Also remember that the MTA / Metro-North has its own police force as well and also the investigation should also come under CSP in some way or another as well as Norwalk where the "perps" disembarked.

The whole jurisdictional issue trains and stations is difficult at best to understand. MTA PD has primary jurisdiction on the trains, however, in many cases local PD has primary jurisdiction @ the stations. Being the (alleged) assault happened partially on board the train and on the platform more than likely So No, CSP and MTA PD are all involved. What the article doesn't say is this fiasco started on the train in Darien where one of the three involved presented an obviously altered ticket (weekly tickets are NEVER good for a 1 1/2 weeks) to one of the conductors where the conductor told the girl she had to either pay the fare or get off the train at the next stop and the girl refused to do either.

Edited by TRUCK6018

Thanks for the clarificaion Truck. I appreceate it.

Even with the clarification the whole thing is a gray area as far as I'm concerned with the exception of the train and the ROW (right of way). I also need to correct my first post, the MTA PD will usually have primary jurisdiction on the platforms as well as the trains. Local PD will usually have primary jurisdiction for the train station buildings (even though the MNR has the secrurity cameras throughout).

Anytime a train crew requests police assistance they are required to call RTC (rail traffic control) who in turn calls MTA PD. ++

Prior to my current job in GCT (where there is a 24 hour MTA police presence) I've needed police assistance at some of the outlying stations. Anytime this happened I was required to call the MTA PD directly even though I could walk to the local police.

In this particular incident prior to the actual assault (when it was only a fare evader) the MTA PD was supposed to meet up with the train in Westport as MNR would not have delayed the train for something with such a low priority.

Edited by TRUCK6018

Who has the Jurisdiction, depends on who owns the station. In Stamford it used to be city owned, so Stamford PD was primary. Then the State DOT took it over and MTA (At the time Metro-North) PD became primary. Other than riding the trains during a brief homeland security joint operation, CSP does not get involved with the trains much, as MTA handles their own investigations.

Things get complicated at Stamford, because all the buildings are State, however the roads are city. There is one building that is privately owned and thus part of city jurisdiction, that most members of the public think is part of the train station, which leads to much confusion over parking spaces.

..... which leads to much confusion over parking spaces.

Not to get off topic but there can't be any more confusion over parking spaces than at North White Plains Station. There are a total of 4, yes 4 entities that are responsible for the various commuter lots at and around this station. The garage is Metro North (operated by LAZ). The out door Haarlem Rd lots are operated by the City of White Plains and there are two lots on Fisher Ln. One operated by Westcheter County Parks and Rec. and one by the Town of North Castle.

Edited by TRUCK6018

I have just found out that CT does have a law very similar to NY regarding assaulting a train crew member. CT Public Act 09-191 states it is a Class C felony punishable by 1 - 10 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine per incident.