Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New FDNY Ambulance Order-Wheeled Coach On A Dodge Chasis

48 posts in this topic

I worked for VCI, who sold the Horton ambulances to FDNY, they said that the EMT's wanted more cab space, so the spec called for a 4 dorr Dodge Cab. Wheeled Coach came in at around $50,000 cheaper then Horton.

Which is now weird, because Wheeled Coach and Horton are owned by the same company. It will be interesting to see what future ambulance contracts hold.

I remember a NY Times article a while ago about how Wheeled Coach was upset that Horton was getting the bids because FDNY was spec'ing only what Horton could provide. And then their was the McCoy-Miller disaster, which they cancelled their order due to quality issues.

I know Wheeled Coach has come a long way in quality, and the Wheeled Coaches delivered down here do pretty well, but I am looking forward to see how they hold up on NYC streets, as the Horton module is much more, I guess the way to put it, "heavy duty" then the Wheeled Coach module. However, Wheeled Coach built this module to the same Horton structural spec supposedly, so we shall see.

I worked for VCI, who sold the Horton ambulances to FDNY, they said that the EMT's wanted more cab space, so the spec called for a 4 dorr Dodge Cab. Wheeled Coach came in at around $50,000 cheaper then Horton.

Per unit or overall bid?

I know Wheeled Coach has come a long way in quality, and the Wheeled Coaches delivered down here do pretty well, but I am looking forward to see how they hold up on NYC streets, as the Horton module is much more, I guess the way to put it, "heavy duty" then the Wheeled Coach module. However, Wheeled Coach built this module to the same Horton structural spec supposedly, so we shall see.

There have been Wheeled Coach units roaming the streets of NYC in the past. They supplied some ambulances to NYC prior to the FD/EMS merger. Not sure of the number though.

Need more cab space. With the addition of coolers medics can no longer secure all their equipment and Ford's cabs are losing leg room with each redesign.

Which is now weird, because Wheeled Coach and Horton are owned by the same company. It will be interesting to see what future ambulance contracts hold.

I remember a NY Times article a while ago about how Wheeled Coach was upset that Horton was getting the bids because FDNY was spec'ing only what Horton could provide. And then their was the McCoy-Miller disaster, which they cancelled their order due to quality issues.

Even though they have the same parent company they are still competing and have a profit margin to watch. Wheeled coach hasn't had a real crack at NYC in years. They were given a chance during the McCoy Miller mess but declined the no-bid contract because they felt it was too restrictive. Structural integrity is a substantial part of the spec. It makes the trucks heavy and expensive, but I'm a fan.

Per unit or overall bid?

Gotta be overall. The current price is in the range of 155k to 160k per ambulance.

post-3-0-49296200-1300253249.jpg

Photo Credit: The New York City

Firefighter Brotherhood Foundation

Very surprised to see no chevrons or directional bar on the back. Chevrons seem to be the way everyone is moving and IMHO make a big difference in visibility.

Very surprised to see no chevrons or directional bar on the back. Chevrons seem to be the way everyone is moving and IMHO make a big difference in visibility.

None of their fire apparatus being delivered is coming with chevrons, so why would it be surprising that the ambulances didn't have them either?

None of their fire apparatus being delivered is coming with chevrons, so why would it be surprising that the ambulances didn't have them either?

I didn't realize that. Any particular reason? Aren't chevrons now a NFPA standard?

I didn't realize that. Any particular reason? Aren't chevrons now a NFPA standard?

Yes, but NFPA is not "law" unless adopted as such by the AHJ. The apparatus manufacturers build in compliance with the standard anyway, but will build "non-compliant" apparatus if the purchasing department signs a "waiver". It is my understanding that at least some FDNY apparatus is non-compliant due to some items in the standard that conflict with their operational needs.

Also, currently there is no NFPA standard for ambulances, however one is on the way. :D

Does anyone know if they are coming with on spot chains and also 4x4. Those were the big talks after the wonderful snow storm. Where our crews were using blackboards strapped to the stretcher in order to get a tight asthmatic to the hospital without delay. It was the first time I ever used the folding stretcher lol.

I like the idea...makes a safer spot for non essential family members to sit than in the back of bus.

Excellent that the family members and friends of the patients will have a place to ride in the rig rather be in back during patient care and possible exposure to BBP or ABP.

No onspots, useless in more than a few inches of snow. There was a push for some 4x4 vehicles as part of the order but after all the headaches with the lowering suspension on the HazTac trucks it was rejected.

Family will probably still be in the back as the second seats are going to wind up buried under PPE bags and our personal crap.

Edited by ny10570

The order is now finalized and full production approved to the tune of just over $46.5 million for 285 vehicles. FDNY EMS will have an almost entirely new fleet in the next 2 years.

Edited by ny10570

Wonder how quick after a few NRRs on tour 1 it will take before a command order saying no reclining comes out :)

According to a posting on FireEngines.net by a very credible and reputable member of that site, FDNY has awarded a contract to Wheeled Coach for 56 regular ambulances on a 4 door Dodge Ram 4500 Chasis.

Further info:

http://www.modelfiretrucks.net/smf/index.php?topic=12372.0

Orlando, FL (PRWEB) March 19, 2011

Wheeled Coach Industries, Inc., the world's largest ambulance manufacturer, has been awarded a multi-year contract by the City of New York to provide new ambulances for the Fire Department of New York (FDNY). With the initial purchase order for 56 ambulances, which stemmed from a competitive bid, the Company anticipates 285 ambulances to be delivered over the contract period.

"This is obviously a significant contract for our company. It demonstrates Wheeled Coach's commitment to our core philosophy of building heavy duty and highly customized ambulances meeting a customer's specific requirements. New York is a tough proving ground, but our engineers, craftsmen and quality systems are up to the challenge" stated Wheeled Coach's President Robert Collins.

These ambulances are based on the Dodge B4500, Quad-Cab chassis platform and incorporate the many unique structural and technical requirements of FDNY. "As the ambulance supplier to most of America's large ambulance fleets, I am particularly excited to have this opportunity to work with the FDNY staff on this project" said Wheeled Coach's Vice President of Sales, Scott Barnes.

About Wheeled Coach: Wheeled Coach is a wholly owned subsidiary of Allied Specialty Vehicles. ASV, with revenues of approximately $1 billion, is a market leader in three industry segments: Fire & Emergency, Recreational Vehicles, and Bus & Industrial. The Company was formed on August 25, 2010 through the combination of four existing portfolio companies of American Industrial Partners: EONE, Inc., Collins Industries, Inc., Halcore Group Inc., and Fleetwood RV Inc. Within the Fire & Emergency segment, ASV offers an extensive line of fire apparatus and ambulances. Within the Recreational Vehicle segment, the Company produces Class A and Class C Recreational Vehicles under many of the industry's iconic brand names. Within the Bus & Industrial segment, the Company produces Type A bus products for both the school and childcare markets as well as terminal trucks and street sweeper products.

For more information, visit the Wheeled Coach website at http://www.wheeledcoach.com.

If I'm not mistaken the last contract Wheeled Coach had with NYC almost put them into bankruptcy.

It's funny that people mention about family members riding in the crew cab.

When I was on the bus we would never do this.

If the patient has an airborne disease, good chance family might have it also

If the patient was bleeding all over the place. Good chance the family member has blood on them.

We kept all of our personal stuff up front and some of.these family members were very dirty. Lice,bugs of all types, and sticky fingers.

Ride in the back or ask the police for a ride. If it wasn't practical due to patient care they went in the back of another bus when pd wasn't there.