Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

EMS call coverage

149 posts in this topic

Just curious as to how nearby EMS agencies are staffed. Who takes calls during the day/night?

At Valhalla VAC we have day and nighttime scheduling members who plan out who will be on call during the hours of the day and night. They do a fantastic job making sure we have adequate driver/EMT coverage regardless of the day/time. This of course can only be accomplished with a willing and flexible membership, which we are fortunate enough to have. Valhalla also has a contract with Transcare to provide paid EMTs in the daytime hours when we cannot find coverage from our membership, but this is usually a rare occurrence. In the year that I have been there, members go out of their way to make sure that the bus will roll when those tones go out. Hope this helps.

Daytime EMS runs are whoever is around, night time we have a duty roster that is dedicated from 6-6 at night.

At Pleasantville VAC we have set night crews for Sunday through Thursday nights. The night crews cover from 7PM to 7AM Friday and saturday nights rotate to the other night crews on a five week basis. Meaning, Sunday crew will do Sunday night as well as Friday and Saturday, the next week, Monday crew will do Monday as well as Friday and Saturday. During the day, we have a duty board on our website, that members when around can sign up and be on duty. Otherwise during the day who ever is around goes.

We have 24/7 paid paramedic coverage through the district. On week days a local manufacturer lets its employees, usually 2-3 per day, run calls. For the night time there are duty crews. These crews are set and cover a certain night of the week. These crews also cover a 24 every fifth weekend day.

Here in Union Vale, we have TransCare staffing the fire dept. with an ALS truck which is 1st out to all ems calls from 6a-6p All 2nd calls in district will be covered by the FD ambulances alond with an als crew or flycar from transcare. Nights and weekends are all covered by volunteers and a als crew or flycar as needed.

quick answer = not enough communities are covered by a fully career/paid solution

Just curious as to how nearby EMS agencies are staffed. Who takes calls during the day/night?

I'm more curious as to what the response times are for these agencies???

By "response time" I am referring to the average time it takes from the time of the initial 911 call to arrival of:

1. BLS 2. ALS

I am sure that any decent EMS agency would track these numbers closely and this information is readily available, no?

I'm more curious as to what the response times are for these agencies???

By "response time" I am referring to the average time it takes from the time of the initial 911 call to arrival of:

1. BLS 2. ALS

I am sure that any decent EMS agency would track these numbers closely and this information is readily available, no?

For Pleasantville VAC which is all volunteer, but does use the Mount Pleasant Medics which are Transcare, from the time the 911 call comes in to when ALS is on scene is probably around 5 minutes. BLS is probably around 12 minutes during the day and 10 minutes during night crews. Of course ALS greatly depends on if they are on another call or if they are out at a hospital. Protocol is that if no BLS bus is on the road within 10 minutes, M/A is dispatched. These BLS times are very good considering daytime coverage can be thin (but as of late has been excellent!!!) and considering that the responding crew can have quite the hike and traffic getting to the bus. Also, these times are good considering Pleasantville VAC has the largest district of all the Mount Pleasant EMS agencies. (and fire agencies for that matter) These numbers are just estimates. I do not have access to the actual numbers.

For Pleasantville VAC which is all volunteer, but does use the Mount Pleasant Medics which are Transcare, from the time the 911 call comes in to when ALS is on scene is probably around 5 minutes. BLS is probably around 12 minutes during the day and 10 minutes during night crews. Of course ALS greatly depends on if they are on another call or if they are out at a hospital. Protocol is that if no BLS bus is on the road within 10 minutes, M/A is dispatched. These BLS times are very good considering daytime coverage can be thin (but as of late has been excellent!!!) and considering that the responding crew can have quite the hike and traffic getting to the bus. Also, these times are good considering Pleasantville VAC has the largest district of all the Mount Pleasant EMS agencies. (and fire agencies for that matter) These numbers are just estimates. I do not have access to the actual numbers.

Does PVAC have sleeping quarters? I would think that, having members staying at the VAC, would greatly reduce those times. Also with the exception of the new fly car you guys just got. Does PVAC allow it's members to respond to the scene?

In Mamaroneck Village, We have the paid paramedic supplied by the Town of Mamaroneck Ambulance District, in house 24/7. So we are almost out the door in two minutes. The volunteers are ether in house or, respond from home. We also have a duty roster in 6hr interval. Where there is almost always a driver/EMT or EMT on shift. I have to say it works out great. With one paid EMT also provided by the district, who also covers MEMS ,and LVAC during the day time hours, but when both agencies are well covered. He has other duties given by the district.

Our average response time is just about 8 mins, from time of tone out from our local PD/60-Control, to at the residences house.

Does PVAC have sleeping quarters? I would think that, having members staying at the VAC, would greatly reduce those times. Also with the exception of the new fly car you guys just got. Does PVAC allow it's members to respond to the scene?

In Mamaroneck Village, We have the paid paramedic supplied by the Town of Mamaroneck Ambulance District, in house 24/7. So we are almost out the door in two minutes. The volunteers are ether in house or, respond from home. We also have a duty roster in 6hr interval. Where there is almost always a driver/EMT or EMT on shift. I have to say it works out great. With one paid EMT also provided by the district, who also covers MEMS ,and LVAC during the day time hours, but when both agencies are well covered. He has other duties given by the district.

Our average response time is just about 8 mins, from time of tone out from our local PD/60-Control, to at the residences house.

PVAC is in the process of moving to a new building. This building I believe will have sleep in quarters. Now...I was referring to when the NYSP receive the 911 call. From the time we are dispatched from local police we are at the location of the call in less time. 8 Minutes may sound right. Members are not allowed top respond to the scene. Officers are allowed which is the reasoning behind 7606. (The Officer's Fly Car)

FACT:

In some areas of Westchester County, you can get a pizza quicker then an ambulance.

FACT:

In some areas of Westchester County, you can get a pizza quicker then an ambulance.

Amen to that.

Some other fun facts:

For the majority of EMS agencies in this county, 1 EMS request - ONE request - overwhelms said system...

The national standard for an EMS ambulance response time is 8 minutes 59 seconds.

You can't use ALS responses to stop the clock

Some other fun facts:

For the majority of EMS agencies in this county, 1 EMS request - ONE request - overwhelms said system...

Very sad fact...but true

The national standard for an EMS ambulance response time is 8 minutes 59 seconds. You can't use ALS responses to stop the clock

The national standard for BLS is 4 minutes (AHA & NFPA) the ALS time is 8 minutes (Also AHA & NFPA). The only group that uses 8 minutes 59 seconds is AAA which represents commercial ambulances, because they sell that its still 8 minutes, the seconds do not count. Be all believe that when we pay $19.99 because at least it was not $20.

Wow..crickets as usual...

So many still live in the land of make believe.

helicopper likes this

FACT:

Not true in Pleasantville! But definitely true elsewhere.

Just because it may not be true in Pleasantville now, doesn't mean that it won't be true in Pleasantville a month from now... and I'm only using Pleasantville as an example because that's the agency whose name is being used in this thread. Volunteer agencies go through surges in membership, where a group of new, active, and eager individuals join the agency, get certified as EMT's, and get out there and ride the bus every chance they get. Once the whole EMS thing starts to lose it's lustre, family or personal obligations start popping up, younger providers get hired by paid agencies and no longer volunteer, or the general nonsense (popularity contests, good ole boys club, politics, etc) that is inherent to a lot of volunteer agencies takes its toll on a once dedicated volunteer... well the next thing you know XYZ ambulance corps, which was once able to cover all of its calls and then some for the next town over, can't even cover their own calls on the weekends. Then maybe a few months or a year later, a new group of individuals join the agency, get certified as EMT's, are eager to get out there, and the cycle begins again.

Any lapse in coverage or membership is unacceptable. Kudos to the agencies that realize this and either hire EMTs for coverage or contract with a private company to provide EMTs. I think the Town of Mt. Pleasant is a great example of where consolidation and regionalization could benefit the EMS system.

quick answer = not enough communities are covered by a fully career/paid solution

Why does it matter if its career or paid? If the organization can roll a fully staffed bus to the call then thats all that counts.

Edited by bfxfd

Just because it may not be true in Pleasantville now, doesn't mean that it won't be true in Pleasantville a month from now... and I'm only using Pleasantville as an example because that's the agency whose name is being used in this thread. Volunteer agencies go through surges in membership, where a group of new, active, and eager individuals join the agency, get certified as EMT's, and get out there and ride the bus every chance they get. Once the whole EMS thing starts to lose it's lustre, family or personal obligations start popping up, younger providers get hired by paid agencies and no longer volunteer, or the general nonsense (popularity contests, good ole boys club, politics, etc) that is inherent to a lot of volunteer agencies takes its toll on a once dedicated volunteer... well the next thing you know XYZ ambulance corps, which was once able to cover all of its calls and then some for the next town over, can't even cover their own calls on the weekends. Then maybe a few months or a year later, a new group of individuals join the agency, get certified as EMT's, are eager to get out there, and the cycle begins again.

Any lapse in coverage or membership is unacceptable. Kudos to the agencies that realize this and either hire EMTs for coverage or contract with a private company to provide EMTs. I think the Town of Mt. Pleasant is a great example of where consolidation and regionalization could benefit the EMS system.

As for right now and past years...we have not had a problem getting our busses out. Often having all three out at the same time during the day or night doing calls for either our town or surrounding towns. As far as waves of young members...as long as you have a good strong recruitment program than the "waves" should be minimal. Some of the Mount Pleasant agencies do indeed have trouble getting their buses out. One even has paid EMT's and still has trouble getting a bus out. running roughly 980 calls and M/A roughly 10 I'd say is acceptable. I understand that agencies go through waves of membership and coverage but...that is avoidable.

As for right now and past years...we have not had a problem getting our busses out. Often having all three out at the same time during the day or night doing calls for either our town or surrounding towns. As far as waves of young members...as long as you have a good strong recruitment program than the "waves" should be minimal. Some of the Mount Pleasant agencies do indeed have trouble getting their buses out. One even has paid EMT's and still has trouble getting a bus out. running roughly 980 calls and M/A roughly 10 I'd say is acceptable. I understand that agencies go through waves of membership and coverage but...that is avoidable.

To answer the original questions...day scheduling vs night scheduling is done the same way at the agency I belong to. We are 100% volunteer for our BLS ambulances, with a contract for an ALS fly-car. We have an internet website that allows members to log in and sign up for any hours that they can do (which can then be seen by all other members and generally avoids the "clown car" problem). The scheduling "blocks" are hour to hour for ambulance drivers and/or EMTs, and we also have a BLS fly-car slot available for 12 hr. shifts(obviously for EMTs only...) that requires officer approval to utilize. We DO have gaps in the schedules of our members, and the officers coordinate to cover those hours or reach out to other members that don't ride as much. I do not have the times on hand...but I would say BLS amb 3-5 mins to roll on AVERAGE, fly car is on scene withinin minutes when signed out and a driver has called in as responding to the amb. Obviously times vary to BOTH extremes depending on crew situation/nature of call... ALS response times are usually 10-15 mins to arrive on scene depending on their location/availability.

I do not believe that there is a "perfect way" to run a volunteer agency. Every agency operates differently, and it is important to find what works best for your agency AND the patients we are there to help. I think that open discussions like this one are important to see how other agencies operate, and maybe take an idea from one agency and try it with your own. Please do not bash specific agencies mentioned here for their methods/effort.

To avoid the "waves" of new members mentioned in this thread, how do other agencies out there "recruit" regular new members? We've tried posting signs throughout the district, letters out to the community, and obviously word of mouth probably works best...any other methods proved beneficial for you/your agency?

I do not believe that there is a "perfect way" to run a volunteer agency. Every agency operates differently, and it is important to find what works best for your agency AND the patients we are there to help. I think that open discussions like this one are important to see how other agencies operate, and maybe take an idea from one agency and try it with your own. Please do not bash specific agencies mentioned here for their methods/effort.

Very good solid advice and it makes perfect sense.

100% Every agency has their ups and downs. While it has been a bit since I was a PVAC member, it wasn't that long ago. At the time PVAC was only functional because of the hard work and borderline insane commitment of a few people. I picked up many calls from work either on the second tone or after a phone call, on one occasion coming all the way from Yonkers, another White Plains, etc. Pleasantville was far from perfect, but there were about 8 or 10 people doing 90% of the work and I'm willing to bet its still essentially those people carrying most of the load.

100% Every agency has their ups and downs. While it has been a bit since I was a PVAC member, it wasn't that long ago. At the time PVAC was only functional because of the hard work and borderline insane commitment of a few people. I picked up many calls from work either on the second tone or after a phone call, on one occasion coming all the way from Yonkers, another White Plains, etc. Pleasantville was far from perfect, but there were about 8 or 10 people doing 90% of the work and I'm willing to bet its still essentially those people carrying most of the load.

I'd say we have about 15 to 20 people carrying the load. Volunteer agencies will take what the get and make due with it.

I'd say we have about 15 to 20 people carrying the load. Volunteer agencies will take what the get and make due with it.

Yes, they take what they can get and make due with it, and some places do a very good job with the minimal manpower that they do have. I see it in a lot of agencies, the same couple faces over and over again covering the majority of the jobs. What happens though when those few people decide to give up volunteering? That's where the cycle comes in that I'm talking about.

I admire your enthusiasm and commitment to PVAC, and I don't mean this as a derogatory remark, but I noticed your age range... 18-20... give it a few more years and you'll begin to see the bigger picture. Based on some of the your statements, I can see your lack of experience but eagerness to volunteer and be involved in emergency services, which is commendable.

More than 1 Mt. Pleasant agency has paid EMT's and from what I hear on the scanner and being a member of one those agencies I don't see much of a problem with getting 1 bus on the road in a fair amount of time. Now getting the 2nd one out is a different story. (I'm not saying this is ok at ALL) No agency is perfect and I'm not bashing PVAC at all, I have a lot of friends in that agency and maybe it was prior to your membership but it wasn't to long ago (maybe 5 or 6 months ago) where PVAC just like every other VAC in Westchester had a very hard time covering calls, and spoke of hiring EMT's. Fortunately you guys DID get a wave of new members and since then been able to cover 2 or 3 calls at a time. I will be the first person to admit that my agency has had its fair share of issues with covering calls but we have made some adjustments and hired some EMT's. Our system is not perfect nor do I think it ever will be but we have made a lot of progress from the days of us not being able to cover a call AT ALL.

More than 1 Mt. Pleasant agency has paid EMT's and from what I hear on the scanner and being a member of one those agencies I don't see much of a problem with getting 1 bus on the road in a fair amount of time. Now getting the 2nd one out is a different story. (I'm not saying this is ok at ALL) No agency is perfect and I'm not bashing PVAC at all, I have a lot of friends in that agency and maybe it was prior to your membership but it wasn't to long ago (maybe 5 or 6 months ago) where PVAC just like every other VAC in Westchester had a very hard time covering calls, and spoke of hiring EMT's. Fortunately you guys DID get a wave of new members and since then been able to cover 2 or 3 calls at a time. I will be the first person to admit that my agency has had its fair share of issues with covering calls but we have made some adjustments and hired some EMT's. Our system is not perfect nor do I think it ever will be but we have made a lot of progress from the days of us not being able to cover a call AT ALL.

I agree with you. There are always ups and downs. different VACs fix the problem in different ways. Some look to their members and some look to outside help. All that matters is that when you have trouble getting a bus out...you fix the problem. I do very clearly remember talks of hiring per diem emt roughly 5 months ago. Luckily the membership stepped up and those talks only last a month. I do not think it is possible to have a perfect system. But as long as you over all your calls and still can help surrounding agencies, though not perfect, the system is pretty efficient.

Edited by PFDRes47cue

I have held back from getting involved in this thread because I hate when the paid people get on with their comments and it becomes a paid vs. volunteer issue (hence why I rarely go on this sight anymore). But I have to correct one thing - it was not 5 months ago it was a year ago.

Carry on......

Three separate incidences at work. At my job it is only paid ems in the vicinity, and I had to wait 20 minutes for the ambulance.

So it is not a paid vs. vollie thing, it is about public education. Everyone takes the ambulance instead of the cab. It strains every department no matter where ya look

Back to the original question. How are different EMS agencies around Westchester County staffed to cover calls?

I guess it depends on what you mean by experience. I am young 20 to be exact. But I am also sure that I have experienced some things you never have and you have experienced other things that I have not. I guess I do not see what you mean by lack of experience. Or better yet lack of what experience exactly. If you are referring to time, then yes I do not have as much as you. But time is useless...it is what you do with the time you have in. Either way, this is not a post on experience, I believe the title is EMS call coverage. How agencies are staffed has nothing to do with experience and time in.

I am very well aware of the title of the thread, and while one's individual experience does not pertain to covering EMS calls, it does pertain to understanding how certain agencies work and how EMS as a whole works in Westchester County. You have not experienced the ups and downs inherent to Volunteer agencies to understand why staffing problems do exist at times. Or maybe you have. You stated in a previous post that PVAC has for now and the past few years had no problems at all getting Ambulances out the door, but a few posts later you point out that PVAC was considering hiring per-diem EMT's to cover calls just 5 months ago. So which one is it?

Obviously you took my statement to heart, because you became very emotional and defensive. My statements were not intended to be derogatory, as I stated. I commend your enthusiasm and your dedication to PVAC. I remember a time when I was just as proud. But to say that time and experience are useless when it comes to EMS in Westcheseter County couldn't be any further from the truth.

But to say that time and experience are useless when it comes to EMS in Westcheseter County couldn't be any further from the truth.

REALLY???? That's why snot-nosed, hot-shot new Medics treat EMTs with over 20 years experience like they are the hired help and know nothing!!!! In my books, 20+ years is both TIME & EXPERIENCE which should be respected!

Sorry Lt. - I got off of your original thread also.

emt372 likes this