Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DMM8240

How Far is too far?

37 posts in this topic

Ok, it might be not on dept business at RWU, however it is plausible that a Chief's car can be in another state on official business. I have driven the Chief's car 2 states away (NY to NJ to PA) to follow our truck back to the factory for repair work so I could get the driver back home or to the factory with a driver to get the truck back home.

i have been complaining of this for months yet my post get erased. good old tax dollers at use. my question was asked before why do these guys get free gas to go to there personal jobs on the tax payer back? and why do these volly departments keep getting new chief cars every 2 years when they do 600 calls a year?????????????????????????????

Here's a question for you Smoke, how do you know that the Chief's vehicle was bought by the taxpayers, and not say, by the fire company itself with money that they raise/collect throughout the year? How do you know that the gas used in this vehicle isn't paid for by the chief BECAUSE he is able to use it for personal use? That's right, you DON'T, so don't assume

I am not sure of other areas, but I know IN MY TOWN, not all of the chief's cars are owned by the town. The only Chief's vehicles owned by the town/fire district are the Chief(car 1), the First Asst. Chief(car 2), and the rescue chief(car 8), not any of the company asst. chiefs. The others are owned and maintained by the MEMBERS. Each fire company chief has a vehicle bought by and paid for by the fire company, also registered and insured by the company and not a dime of taxpayer dollars used to purchase it. This being the case, each company has their own rules on how/when the vehicle is used, how far it can be driven, etc. Each company chief only gets a small amount of fuel for their company vehicle per month, the rest is provided by THE CHIEF, from his/her own pocket. So if you are so atimant about this, maybe you should go to LI and inquire the specifics for this particular vehicle...

Edited by EFFP411

Here's a question for you Smoke, how do you know that the Chief's vehicle was bought by the taxpayers, and not say, by the fire company itself with money that they raise/collect throughout the year? How do you know that the gas used in this vehicle isn't paid for by the chief BECAUSE he is able to use it for personal use? That's right, you DON'T, so don't assume

I am not sure of other areas, but I know IN MY TOWN, not all of the chief's cars are owned by the town. The only Chief's vehicles owned by the town/fire district are the Chief(car 1), the First Asst. Chief(car 2), and the rescue chief(car 8), not any of the company asst. chiefs. The others are owned and maintained by the MEMBERS. Each fire company chief has a vehicle bought by and paid for by the fire company, also registered and insured by the company and not a dime of taxpayer dollars used to purchase it. This being the case, each company has their own rules on how/when the vehicle is used, how far it can be driven, etc. Each company chief only gets a small amount of fuel for their company vehicle per month, the rest is provided by THE CHIEF, from his/her own pocket. So if you are so atimant about this, maybe you should go to LI and inquire the specifics for this particular vehicle...

So you can guarantee that absolutely no tax payer monies go towards the upkeep and fueling of the vehicles not owned by the municipality? Let's not play ourselves, there probably was no official business being conducted - maybe the guy was picking up his kid or bringing his kid to visit the school, frankly i don't care. It's a fire department not a social club - tax payer money or no tax payer money - you have a municipality name scrawled on the side of your truck and you're acting as an agent of that municipality when you take in runs...you should ensure that you're operation is run with some degree of good business practice.

The municipality that I work for I believe has a 50 mile limit without permission. Anything over that, permission is needed. Hope this contributes to the original post.

DMM8240 likes this

So you can guarantee that absolutely no tax payer monies go towards the upkeep and fueling of the vehicles not owned by the municipality? Let's not play ourselves, there probably was no official business being conducted - maybe the guy was picking up his kid or bringing his kid to visit the school, frankly i don't care. It's a fire department not a social club - tax payer money or no tax payer money - you have a municipality name scrawled on the side of your truck and you're acting as an agent of that municipality when you take in runs...you should ensure that you're operation is run with some degree of good business practice.

Like i said, I can't speak for other departments, only for mine. Aside from a VERY small fuel allowance, the company chiefs pay out of pocket. Insurance and reg and maintenance is paid for by the members of the company. My company has a 15 mile limit without permission, where as company 2 might be 20, it varies. Do i agree with this chief going all the way to Rhode Island to pick up his kid from school? No but like i said it's not my town so I don't know their rules, and neither do any of the rest of us.

Here's one: How many Chiefs who use the official vehicle for personal purposes pay TAX for that use? According to NYS law, every employee of a public agency that grants the use of take-home cars must file an affidavit to that specific agency that lists how many miles were driven for non-official duty, and if used in that way, each driver must file an addendum to their State and Federal income taxes listing their receipt and use of a fringe benefit.

I know that many of you will disagree with me or tell me I am wrong or out of line, but my personal feeling is that it you not a paid Chief, then I think your payment is unlimited personal use of the Chiefs car you are assigned. Please do not FLAME me for this. As far as the PD I mentioned, that I have different opinions about.