Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rbuchjr

Open Cab Apparatus

42 posts in this topic

From what I remember this rig wasnt delivered with doors. It has alot of work done over the years and I thought the half doors were an add on, I could be wrong

I may be confusing what you mean but Rowayton in Norwalk, CT had a roof-less Mack CF just like the one Valley Stream used to run. As far as I know they purcahsed it new.

http://firenews.org/ct/RowaytonCTexE3.jpg

There is a link to a picture of Rowayton's old Engine 3, a '72 roof-less Mack CF it looks to me.

Do you mean Canopy cab, Mack only made 6 open cab CF's and none made it to Conn. unless they bought it used ?

I think there were more than six. See youtube clip below

suffern's tiller open cab and tiller, a 1973/1991 seagrave, beign replaced with a seagrave 100 foot tiller in late 2010.

post-18231-126318013916.jpg

Edited by Anesti

suffern's tiller open cab and tiller

Wouldn't that be considered a canopy cab as well?

My alma mater, Belltown FD in Stamford had a few pretty open cab rigs back in the day, some of which I went to some of my first fires on board. E41 was a 63 Mack C85 and old E43 was a 49 Mack.

post-4500-12631804717.jpg

post-4500-126318049188.jpg

A few more beauties from Norwalk:

post-4500-126318097392.jpgpost-4500-126318098899.jpgpost-4500-126318100463.jpg

I remember the 100ft 700 series Amercain Lafrance tiller in the sta. on the post road up from Stu's ! Joe isn't the 49 L Mack sill there in Belltown ?

Edited by PCFD ENG58

Wouldn't that be considered a canopy cab as well?

Yes it would.

I think there were more than six. See youtube clip below

I have the Mack Fire Trucks 1911-2005 book by Harvey Eckart. There was only 1 Mack R semi-open cab truck built and that is the one currently in service at the Vigilant Hose Co. 1 in Port Vue, PA. Its blue and you can't miss it.

As for the CF's it states there was "about a dozen" built. I know for certain Valley Stream and Rowayton, CT both purchased the semi open CF pumpers and Riverdale, Maryland had the only semi open cab CF / Maxim 100' aerial ladder. In the book, one went to Cumberland, MD, Pomona, CA and Connellsviile PA, which was later sold to Dunbar, PA (this rig was white with a think lime-green stripe down the side). The video posted has all of the rigs in it if I am not mistaken.

I remember the 100ft 700 series Amercain Lafrance tiller in the sta. on the post road up from Stu's ! Joe isn't the 49 L Mack sill there in Belltown ?

Yes it is, they use it for musters and other special events. Its a really beautiful truck, it needs some attention though to make it look better. I think it still runs great though.

You can think all you want but the definitions have been the same for decades...

Open - No doors no roof

Semi Open - No roof with doors

Canopy - Enclosed chauffer & officer and partially covered jumpseat

Enclosed - Everyone's inside.

Edited by mfc2257