Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

NYPost: "EMT's on break let pregnant mom die"

33 posts in this topic

I think people are taking mikerabbit's OPINION out of context. Honestly, would you really put yourself at risk and do mouth to mouth or touch bodily fluid without PPE? And we don't know all the facts-I've heard that these people weren't even EMT's, but dispatchers or possibly calltakers that are given the "EMT" title by FDNY for administrative reasons, but have no medical training, experience, or background. Regardless, the way the handled the situation was wrong, but we still don't know the correct facts-the media has skewed it so badly. It's been on all the major cable networks, and each one told the story differently.

If they were in street clothes and off of work, you can't blame them as there is no obligation - just as there is no obligation for me, or any of us, to stop at a car accident.

Crummy situation all around...

Legally, technically no in NY- but if it came down to a civil lawsuit, you could definetly be held liable. Ethically, it's the right thing to do to stop and render aid if you're not putting yourself in danger doing so. I know in Texas and some other states, you could be charged immediately with failure to render aid- even if you're a civilian with no training and did nothing to help.