Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pfdfirefighter01

Westchester County police introduce "ghost car"

8 posts in this topic

from the lohud.com website

Westchester County police introduce "ghost car"

By Shawn Cohen • spcohen@lohud.com • December 22, 2009

HAWTHORNE — Watch out for the new ghost on the highway. Westchester County police will introduce a new "ghost car" Wednesday that is designed to sneak up on motorists who are talking on hand-held cell phones, text-messaging or driving without seatbelts. The car, a white Crown Victoria like other police cars, has no rack or lights on the roof, and the county police decal on the side of the vehicle is another shade of white, rather than red and blue, to blend in with other traffic.

to read more http://www.lohud.com...e/2009912220395

Really.....any driver that has spent any amount of time with the threat of an undercover cop or on any of the county roads should be able to pick this car out in a snap.

Other than the semi-discrete lights and antennas, who drives around a brand new, police package, white crown victoria other than cops. While I applaud the attempt, I am willing to bet that if your gonna get caught by the police, the markings on the car will do little to stop that. You see these cars driving around all of the time so what makes this new or special?

Edited by bvfdjc316

Nice, but my personal opinion, they should have gone with a charger or impala. I know I still slow down just at the sight of a crown vic. Chargers, and even more so, impalas blend in a little better, at least in my opinion/

Nice, but my personal opinion, they should have gone with a charger or impala. I know I still slow down just at the sight of a crown vic. Chargers, and even more so, impalas blend in a little better, at least in my opinion/

I have to agree. They should have at least not installed the push bumper. Not to be a sexist but most women wont notice the little things we will. I am sure that they will fall for this and it will serve its purpose in ticketing people who constantly talk on their phone and violate the law.

Perhaps, but you go with what ya got and we got a lot of Fords.

As for all the other criticism, when you're rolling up alongside someone and they glance over this logo is more subdued than a standard paint job so it will do the trick. I can attest to the fact that with or without push-bumpers, antennas, a cage, etc., people will do stupid things anyway so the operator of this car will have plenty of business.

Push bumpers on highway cars are essential. You don't want to be caught in the traffic jam created by the dummy who stayed in the left lane when his car stalled and you don't want to be the cop stuck behind him hoping and praying that you don't get rear-ended before the tow arrives.

It's also not truly unmarked so it has many other uses than just enforcement.

Really.....any driver that has spent any amount of time with the threat of an undercover cop or on any of the county roads should be able to pick this car out in a snap.

Maybe, if they're not on the phone or texting. Hmm... If they're on the phone or texting and not paying attention, perhaps that's exactly why this car is out there. B)

How about WCPD get themselves a Toyota Camry or a Prius and NOT tell the media...

Perhaps, but you go with what ya got and we got a lot of Fords.

As for all the other criticism, when you're rolling up alongside someone and they glance over this logo is more subdued than a standard paint job so it will do the trick. I can attest to the fact that with or without push-bumpers, antennas, a cage, etc., people will do stupid things anyway so the operator of this car will have plenty of business.

Push bumpers on highway cars are essential. You don't want to be caught in the traffic jam created by the dummy who stayed in the left lane when his car stalled and you don't want to be the cop stuck behind him hoping and praying that you don't get rear-ended before the tow arrives.

It's also not truly unmarked so it has many other uses than just enforcement.

Maybe, if they're not on the phone or texting. Hmm... If they're on the phone or texting and not paying attention, perhaps that's exactly why this car is out there. B)

Chris, Do you think maybe they should have kept this underwrap or is this a warning to the public?

Chris192 As for all the other criticism, when you're rolling up alongside someone and they glance over this logo is more subdued than a standard paint job so it will do the trick. I can attest to the fact that with or without push-bumpers, antennas, a cage, etc., people will do stupid things anyway so the operator of this car will have plenty of business.

Chris, i couldnt agree more. When i would do my road familiarization (sp?) with WCPD, drivers would break many V&T laws in our plain view, regardless of the cruiser. I must say, the "slick-top" cars worked very well for awhile. As for the new ghost car, i really like the idea and concept and think its a great addition to the WCPD fleet. As more of a "highway" orientated PD, im surprised WCPD took this long to get one of these. I know that these cars have worked very well for other PDs nationwide, i hope that it will do the same for WCPD.

Will this be assigned to a special unit or go into Patrol? It would be nice to have a special unit, such as an "aggressive driving unit" or something similar.

Hey Chris, think Capt. Stasaitis will want one of these as his new take home lol?