Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Getting a CDL

7 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about geting a CDL. What exactly is the process and how much money am I looking at?

Happy New Year to all!

Piraf...I think its a good idea to have your CDL.

I've had mine for about 6 years now.

The first step is getting your permit. I would highly suggest getting the CDL book from the DMV. Study it hard for awhile and take the written permit test. Make sure to read up on air-brakes & haz-mat.

You pass the written and you pay for the permit. It was only $40 or so when I did it if I remember correctly. May have gone up though, as everything does. After that, you schedule your road test. This can be tricky because you need a truck. I work for a DPW, so obviously I used a work truck.

The road test isn't too difficult. You really need to know how to do your pre-trip inspection though.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

http://www.roadwars.com/otc/

Once you read the CDL manual, take the practice tests at that website. They are very similar to the written tests and really help you study for them.

Once you take and pass the tests there's a fee for the drivers license. Last summer I renewed my class B and it was $168.00. If you get the hazmat endorsement it's an additional $140.00 for the background checks. Since I renewed I believe the license fees went up due to the MTA debacle last year.

Once you take and pass the tests there's a fee for the drivers license. Last summer I renewed my class B and it was $168.00. If you get the hazmat endorsement it's an additional $140.00 for the background checks. Since I renewed I believe the license fees went up due to the MTA debacle last year.

Wow. That's expensive. State of CT is $60 for a "four year" Class B license. My license was issued 8-1-09 and expires 8-11-12. So unless my math is wrong, the first year was only 11 days long.

I've been thinking about geting a CDL. What exactly is the process and how much money am I looking at?

Happy New Year to all!

Pretty much what everyone else has said. Go to DMV and get the CDL manual. Study it. When you think you are ready, study some more. Pay the fee for the permit. Next you'll need a truck to practice on and to take the road test on. Unless you know someone that has one, good luck with that. For the road test, you'll need a manual transmission unless you want to be restricted to an automatic. Oh, and air brakes also. After that good luck. If you are planning on using it for regular employment, most places want experianced drivers.

As far as money goes, the DMV website should have the fees. When I last renewed my CDL-A, it was $130 for the license, $5 for the Haz-Mat test, and $143 for the fingerprint fee. Then, because of my work, I had to have a TWIC which was $130 and two days in Albany, but my employer paid for that money grabbing scheme.

Wow. That's expensive. State of CT is $60 for a "four year" Class B license. My license was issued 8-1-09 and expires 8-11-12. So unless my math is wrong, the first year was only 11 days long.

You also have to remember that NYS license is good for 8 years. And NYS is broke and looking for money.