Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nhfd241

Dive Teams in Dutchess

18 posts in this topic

Besides Hughsonville is their any other Dive Teams in Dutchess County

What gives official designation to a "Dive Team"

Besides Hughsonville is their any other Dive Teams in Dutchess County

What kind of dive team/ equipment does Hughsonville have? How many divers? no other Dutchess FD's have one?

Putnam and Westchester FDs have a Few.

Edited by HFD23

i believe Mahopac Falls is the only Dept with a Dive team in Putnam

Nope Hughsonville, DCSO, NYSP are the one ones in Dutchess County. Alot of Departments have Cold Water Rescue Teams. Where they stay above water. I know East Fishkill has a team and I believer Rombout, Pleasant Valley, I dont know about anyone else. Dive Teams can w]go under wated and have Scuba Gear on, Ice Water Rescue have the suits and only fresh air.

Thomas

In Orange County Monroe FD, Greenwood Lake Police, OCSO, City of Newburgh Police all have dive teams

In northern Westchester you have dive teams in Yorktown FD and Somers FD.

What gives official designation to a "Dive Team"

Hughsonville has between 15-20 divers that are very highly traned in all types of diveing and under water rescue even very cold water they have dry sutes and can be on there boat and in the water in about 10 min. where dcso and nysp could take up to an hr.

Hughsonville has between 15-20 divers that are very highly traned in all types of diveing and under water rescue even very cold water they have dry sutes and can be on there boat and in the water in about 10 min. where dcso and nysp could take up to an hr.

A fair enough response, and I think its a great asset in the area.

I think the DC was trying to figure out what qualifications are required, who deems them a certifiable dive team, and, for that fact, what is the governing agency? I am assuming DC911 has them in the CAD, but as far as the OFPC goes, in their training catalog, on Page 7, under the header "NYS Firefighter Training Standards Certifications", it does list "Dive Rescue Technician", yet I don't know of any OFPC courses regarding diving. Another title listed under this same section is "Surface Water Rescue Technician".

Is there some other way that this is achieved, such as, in addition to going through a licensed dive school, do you also have to take all NYS OFPC water classes, such as Swift Water, Cold Water/Ice Rescue, and tie them together, and are then recognized by the OFPC as a "dive team"?

Not knocking on anyone here, I just know nothing about this, and am curious how this all falls in place.

A fair enough response, and I think its a great asset in the area.

I think the DC was trying to figure out what qualifications are required, who deems them a certifiable dive team, and, for that fact, what is the governing agency? I am assuming DC911 has them in the CAD, but as far as the OFPC goes, in their training catalog, on Page 7, under the header "NYS Firefighter Training Standards Certifications", it does list "Dive Rescue Technician", yet I don't know of any OFPC courses regarding diving. Another title listed under this same section is "Surface Water Rescue Technician".

Is there some other way that this is achieved, such as, in addition to going through a licensed dive school, do you also have to take all NYS OFPC water classes, such as Swift Water, Cold Water/Ice Rescue, and tie them together, and are then recognized by the OFPC as a "dive team"?

Not knocking on anyone here, I just know nothing about this, and am curious how this all falls in place.

New Hamburg Fire Dept for many years has had a cold water rescue team on stand by through Dutchess County 911

We have all the gear that is needed for surface and shallow water rescue.

Many hours of training are put in to maintain good rescue technics.

The Fire District also has a 25' aluminum fire rescue boat with two 200 h.p. engines that has been on the Hudson River since

2000 moored at Whites Marina in New Hamburg during the warm season.

You can go online at NHFD.org to review what is carried on this fine vessel.

New Hamburg Fire Dept for many years has had a cold water rescue team on stand by through Dutchess County 911

We have all the gear that is needed for surface and shallow water rescue.

Many hours of training are put in to maintain good rescue technics.

The Fire District also has a 25' aluminum fire rescue boat with two 200 h.p. engines that has been on the Hudson River since

2000 moored at Whites Marina in New Hamburg during the warm season.

You can go online at NHFD.org to review what is carried on this fine vessel.

There are many cold water teams in Dutchess, I was curious about Dive Rescue teams.

Last time I checked, the Dive Rescue Tech application had 4 courses to complete to become a DRT through NYS OFPC. As for the "whole" Team being recognized I have not seen anything on that nor have I explored any further than DRT. The courses are Rescue Tech- Basic/ Rescue Ops, Dive Rescue 1&2 through Dive Rescue Int. or an equivalent (waterrescue.org, rescuediver.org, or teamlgs.com), and NYS DOH first responder and CPR, EMT will cover that. The only class being Rescue tech or Ops offered by OFPC. All others you will have to get on your own starting with basic SCUBA certifications through NAUI, PADI etc.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Last time I checked, the Dive Rescue Tech application had 4 courses to complete to become a DRT through NYS OFPC. As for the "whole" Team being recognized I have not seen anything on that nor have I explored any further than DRT. The courses are Rescue Tech- Basic/ Rescue Ops, Dive Rescue 1&2 through Dive Rescue Int. or an equivalent (waterrescue.org, rescuediver.org, or teamlgs.com), and NYS DOH first responder and CPR, EMT will cover that. The only class being Rescue tech or Ops offered by OFPC. All others you will have to get on your own starting with basic SCUBA certifications through NAUI, PADI etc.

Lots of good information, that is along the lines of what I was looking for. Thank you!

Glad to Help u NAte. If PSD (Public Safety Diving) is not your thing you can always get certified as a "Tender". There are usually some on teams.

Hughsonville's dive team responds to several calls a year. They have successfully retrieved a drowning victim in 40 foot of water in about 10 minutes., unfortunately the person did not make it. They have also been used to help tow trucks in recovering vehicles under water, and to search for possible victims. They also can serve as back ups to the PD dive teams. They have a few of small boats that are available,

45-99 ia a 26' SVI Rescue Boat with a Vortec 8.1L V8 inboard engine

a

45-98 is a 15.6' Achilles Inflatable Boat with 40hp Engine

and a

45-97 is a 14' Achilles Inflatable Boat

Photos are available at Hughsonville Fire District Web Site