Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50-65

Fights and Threats Close Newburgh Schools

14 posts in this topic

In the aftermath of last nights stabbings (one fatal) in the City of Newburgh, the violence spilled over into the schools today. NFA was on lockdown twice today. Every available officer from the city and town as well as state police and federal (FBI) agents were at the school today.

As a precaution, all after school activities have been cancelled and school is closed tomorrow.

Saw multiple Orange County Sheriff's Cars on patrol in the city

You know not for nothing but it really makes you wonder where the parents are and what they are teaching their kids, if this stufff is in the schools, i remember the days when i could walk to school without any worries, and also i NEVER had ANY police presence in any schools i went to, only time i heard of that stuff was in the City in the PS's. you would think that in the after math of columbine, that parents and schools would make a more conscious effort to teach their children better and get more involved. But again as usual america has forgotten it, and gotten back into their "I feel safe" slump. Props to the local and higher up police agencies for stepping up so quickly to prevent a repeat of that incident and making an effort since obviously school administrators cant be trusted to look for this kind of propencity in students, and parents are obviously sucking at life.

SAD.

And because the parents don't care, this closing of the schools will do absolutley nothing except move the location of whatever problem that was going to occur. How many of these kids, or even parents of these ids are going to say "Maybe I [you] should stay home today and calm down a bit." I doubt very many, and the ones that do are the kids that wouldn't have caused any problems anyway.

And because the parents don't care, this closing of the schools will do absolutley nothing except move the location of whatever problem that was going to occur. How many of these kids, or even parents of these ids are going to say "Maybe I [you] should stay home today and calm down a bit." I doubt very many, and the ones that do are the kids that wouldn't have caused any problems anyway.

The only problem with that is ti would require the parents to stay home too. As the husband of a teacher I constantly hear parents complain about being inconvenienced every time school closes. Most parents today only see school as free day care unfortunately. I would say that in the 10 years I have seen an average of 10% - 20% parent involvement in their child's school activities or academics.

Half the reason I continue to choose to work over night is to be involved in my childrens lives as much as posible. in contrast to some one I know who pays a babysitter to watch there kids when they are home in the next room.

The only problem with that is ti would require the parents to stay home too. As the husband of a teacher I constantly hear parents complain about being inconvenienced every time school closes. Most parents today only see school as free day care unfortunately. I would say that in the 10 years I have seen an average of 10% - 20% parent involvement in their child's school activities or academics.

Half the reason I continue to choose to work over night is to be involved in my childrens lives as much as posible. in contrast to some one I know who pays a babysitter to watch there kids when they are home in the next room.

64FFMJK YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD BRO! The problem again comes back to parental responsibility, regardless of what grade these students are in, you cant honestly expect a child to constantly think ahead about how their actions will impact their lives or to say hey thats not a good idea, or somethings not right here maybe i should say something to someone. PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY!! It is up to the parents to THINK FOR the children. That after all is the point of PARENTING, to raise a Well rounded and productive member of society. I understand that they have many outside influences, like TV, and Music, not to mention that celebrities send the completely wrong message. However, again it all comes back to good parenting, i watched and listened to the same tv shows as the "trouble makers" in my school did, i listened to eminem talk about killing people and commiting suicide, however my parents made it abundantly clear that they were not the norm in society and 90% probably more, but 90% for arguments sake of what you see and hear is just for show, and not actually something they did or want you to do.

Regardless, there is a responsibility on the parents end to guide their children in the right direction and make it clear to them that unlike in tv and music, when you kill someone, you dont get out of jail when the song or episode is over.

I really do wonder where the parents are and what is going throught some of their heads.

V85 makes a goood point also, the ones who do have the foresight to think and decide to stay home are the ones who were never a threat to anyone to begin with.

Unfortunately its like this all over. My buddy wirnessed a murder the other day at a gas station. Students are stabbing cops in schools and the cops are killing them. It does not matter where you are..its bad all over

You know not for nothing but it really makes you wonder where the parents are and what they are teaching their kids, if this stufff is in the schools, i remember the days when i could walk to school without any worries, and also i NEVER had ANY police presence in any schools i went to, only time i heard of that stuff was in the City in the PS's. you would think that in the after math of columbine, that parents and schools would make a more conscious effort to teach their children better and get more involved. But again as usual america has forgotten it, and gotten back into their "I feel safe" slump. Props to the local and higher up police agencies for stepping up so quickly to prevent a repeat of that incident and making an effort since obviously school administrators cant be trusted to look for this kind of propencity in students, and parents are obviously sucking at life.

SAD.

It is sad. I feel some parents simply give in or are afraid to tell thier children " NO". " You can't" etc and this reflects on how a kids grow up. There is too much junk out there on tv, interet, video games etc that preach violence like Grand Theft Auto. Imagine a game that glorifies killing cops and people in general.

PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY!! It is up to the parents to THINK FOR the children.

Unless you're talking about toddlers I have to disagree. The responsibility of parents is to teach children, from an early age, to THINK FOR THEMSELVES, to make their own decisions, and to accept responsibility for their own actions, and the consequences. Kids generally get in trouble when they're away from parental supervision, and can't think for themselves. Then they do dumb things, or let dumb peers do their thinking for them.

And, what kind of spineless administration *closes schools* because of concerns over a few troublemakers? It's the troublemakers who should be worried, knowing they'll be watched closely at school and not allowed to get out of line. Police in schools! <shakes head>

While i do agree that eventually children have to think for themselves and take responsibility for their own actions, It is still the parents job to think for their child when their child can not or will not think for themself. Also its the parent job to step in when a kid is obviously out of control. But then again i still say parents should be able to spank a child from time to time also, within reason, and screw what the CPS says. If i ever said to my father im gonna call CPS if you hit me, he'd have back handed me clear into next week and handed me the phone and said "here call an ambulance while your at it" lol.

The lack of parental discipline on children and adolescents reflects the fact that society has given more power to children then to parents.

A good spanking from time to time isnt the worst thing in the world, especially if its well deserved. I dont remember hearing about crap like this (Children out of control) in the 70's and 80's yea there were drug problems, but the child damn well knew their place and had respect.

just one mans oppinion tho.

Also they didnt close the schools because of concerns over a few trouble makers, they closed the schools due to a massive fight that left people seriously injured and i believe at least one person dead, not sure about that one tho, and it spilled into the schools, and it currently is sstill unclear as to why it started or how many people were involved and who those individuals were, as not everyone involved is currently known. so thats why they closed schools as a precaution to prevent further injury. at least that is my understanding of the situation. i may be wrong, but to my knowledge thats what happened. If any one knows differently please share as i am always looking to have the facts right and dont want to go on record if mine are not fully accurate.

Edited by hv911

According to City of Newburgh PD it was all a bunch of hype. They said that the schools decided to close without input from the PD and the only school related violence were minor fist fights.

Who knows the actual story.

64FFMJK YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD BRO! The problem again comes back to parental responsibility, regardless of what grade these students are in, you cant honestly expect a child to constantly think ahead about how their actions will impact their lives or to say hey thats not a good idea, or somethings not right here maybe i should say something to someone. PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY!! It is up to the parents to THINK FOR the children. That after all is the point of PARENTING, to raise a Well rounded and productive member of society. I understand that they have many outside influences, like TV, and Music, not to mention that celebrities send the completely wrong message. However, again it all comes back to good parenting, i watched and listened to the same tv shows as the "trouble makers" in my school did, i listened to eminem talk about killing people and commiting suicide, however my parents made it abundantly clear that they were not the norm in society and 90% probably more, but 90% for arguments sake of what you see and hear is just for show, and not actually something they did or want you to do.

Regardless, there is a responsibility on the parents end to guide their children in the right direction and make it clear to them that unlike in tv and music, when you kill someone, you dont get out of jail when the song or episode is over.

I really do wonder where the parents are and what is going throught some of their heads.

V85 makes a goood point also, the ones who do have the foresight to think and decide to stay home are the ones who were never a threat to anyone to begin with.

AMEN!

While i do agree that eventually children have to think for themselves and take responsibility for their own actions, It is still the parents job to think for their child when their child can not or will not think for themself. Also its the parent job to step in when a kid is obviously out of control. But then again i still say parents should be able to spank a child from time to time also, within reason, and screw what the CPS says. If i ever said to my father im gonna call CPS if you hit me, he'd have back handed me clear into next week and handed me the phone and said "here call an ambulance while your at it" lol.

The lack of parental discipline on children and adolescents reflects the fact that society has given more power to children then to parents.

We disagree a little less than you might think. Remember I said kids have to learn "to make their own decisions, and to accept responsibility for their own actions, and the consequences"? the 'consequences' may include discipline, of course!

However your attitude still smacks a little of helicopter parenting - trying to hover over the kids. I firmly believe you have to let kids take as much responsibility for themselves as possible, and give them as much power & control over their own lives as possible, from as early an age as possible. The fact is that approach *works*. Read about Montessori some time - I happen to believe she was an unmitigated genius:

http://www.montessori.org/sitefiles/Montessori_101_nonprintable.pdf

You've also reminded me of an essay which was written by a friend of a friend. Now it is about raising Pagan boys, but if you ignore all the Pagan religious stuff she talks a hell of a lot of sense about how boys should be raised - this is pretty much the way I'm raising my kids, in fact:

http://blog-in-the-box.blogspot.com/2005/09/raising-pagan-sons.html

Interesting stuff.

Mike

It all falls down to lack of being a responsible parent