Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Where's the fire? It's in the firehouse

8 posts in this topic

This article was published in The Day, the local newspaper for New London, CT.

Where's the fire? It's in the firehouse

By Kenton Robinson

Publication: The Day

Published 01/16/2010 12:00 AMUpdated 01/16/2010 01:48 AM0

Catching up now, with the holidays past, we return to a story that broke just before Christmas, one that raises, once again, the question: Why are so many firefighters so childish?

http://www.theday.com/article/20100116/ENT07/301169920

This guy is his own worst enemy when it comes to being taken seriously. "Firefighting attracts a lot of immature people, who feel they don't need to grow up." OK, that's fair. Hell, I might even be inclined to agree. Then he goes on to list a few examples that back up his point, but what's with the rest of that list? A fill the boot to benefit Muscular Dystrophy? It sounds like conditions might not have been optimal (where I live, excessive fill the boot events caused the city to put an end to them altogether), but to count that as a "childish act?" Really? Also, that "loose change" that's "shaken down from motorists" adds up. I think my union cleared 5 figures for a few hours worth of effort.

As for some of the other examples, they're despicable acts that go way beyond immaturity. This guy needs to go back to journalism school.

post4031, efdcapt115 and x635 like this

It is very easy for one to sit behind a desk and write about things that one has no clue of. The fact that this moron had to go back to incidents to 2001 to beef his story tells me that he is reaching. It would be to "nice" to report all the good firefighters do "nice" doesn't attract attention especially with the media.

This article was published in The Day, the local newspaper for New London, CT.

http://www.theday.co...ENT07/301169920

Seth,

I honestly wish you hadn't given this **** the publicity and mentioned this miserable piece of trash he calls an op-ed piece the exposure. But since you did I will mention that I sent him an email inviting him down to the firehouse anytime he wants to come to find out what it is like and he has not even given me a reply as of yet. He also went and posted his piece at fire-engineering magazine to give it more exposure, I don't know what his beef is with the fire service but he defintely struck a nerve with this hatchet job.

Sounds like a "grade a" a****** to me. Let's see how immature ffs are if he ever has the audacity to call 911.

I totally agree with the not being accepted remark. This sounds like a bitter man who possibly at one time or another, tried to get onto the job and was rejected. He now harbors bad feelings toward the fire service, and now decided to put his efforts to writing this story. And what a very small effort it was. He simply listed one incident after another, which any person capable of writing can do. As was said during the Black Sunday Trial..."It takes a particular type of person to comment on procedures that they do not understand, nor do they have the bravery to do." This person is a very cowardly person who hides behind a pen.

efdcapt115 likes this

So.... this guy struck a nerve or two. What happened to all of the guys who always cry about this being an open forum for discussion? Yeah, maybe the guy had a score to settle for some reason that none of us will ever know, and it is unfair to criticize a fill the boot event, but can anyone honestly sit out there and say that they have never had any of this kind of stuff happen in their house? C'mon guys, as many of you are so fond of saying, "QTIP"

post4031 likes this