Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Photo - Popham Road Firehouse Scarsdale NY 1960's

21 posts in this topic

1960's - Scarsdale Fire Department - Popham Road / Post Road firehouse.

post-23-126439346222.jpg

600 series Amercan Lafrance engine and a JOX Amercan Lafrance ladder both early 1940's vintige. Both series replaced by the post WW2 production of the 700 series cab forword Engines and ladders in 1947

Edited by PCFD ENG58
efdcapt115 likes this

600 series Amercan Lafrance engine and a JOX Amercan Lafrance ladder both early 1940's vintige. Both series replaced by the post WW2 production of the 700 series cab forword Engines and ladders in 1947

Never heard of JOX, any more details?

Never heard of JOX, any more details?

The JO and JOX series from American LaFrance was designed in the late 1930's as the first "cab-forward" design and was only available for aerial ladders (only mid-mounts 75' to 100'). Only a few were made but the design lead to the design creation of the 700 Series in 1945/1946 leading to the 700s full scale production by 1947. The JO and JOX only had front seats and there were no jumpseats like on later cab-forward apparatus. The turntable was located directly mounted behind the cab. The whole idea was to have a truck with a smaller wheelbase while beign able to have a 100' aerial ladder on a single chassis, thus cutting down the overall lenght of the truck.

I'm sure Angelo has a lot more information on the JO and JOX series than I do. Also there is a JOX aerial up at the Firemen's museum in Hudson on display. One interesting piece of equipment for the day.

NICE!! Looks like a couple of california chop tops!!

In this photo, the firehouse itself looks very similar to EFD's Station 5. I'd bet it was the same architect. Love the rigs!

The JO and JOX series from American LaFrance was designed in the late 1930's as the first "cab-forward" design and was only available for aerial ladders (only mid-mounts 75' to 100'). Only a few were made but the design lead to the design creation of the 700 Series in 1945/1946 leading to the 700s full scale production by 1947. The JO and JOX only had front seats and there were no jumpseats like on later cab-forward apparatus. The turntable was located directly mounted behind the cab. The whole idea was to have a truck with a smaller wheelbase while beign able to have a 100' aerial ladder on a single chassis, thus cutting down the overall lenght of the truck.

I'm sure Angelo has a lot more information on the JO and JOX series than I do. Also there is a JOX aerial up at the Firemen's museum in Hudson on display. One interesting piece of equipment for the day.

Thanks "Iz".... did some research of my own today. Grew up in a department that had nothing but ALF's for years, but never saw one of these.... according to some of the websites I checked, only about 110 of these were ever built in Elmira, and a modest few were built at a plant in the Toronto area. US Gov't sent a few to Austrailia and New Zealand in the late '30's and early '40's before entering the war under a program to supply the Allies. There is apparently some disagreement over what JOX means, J standing for the cab forward design, O for open cab, but the X is defined in different places as for eXposed ladder storage or eXperimental design. Neat looking truck, especially with the rear fender skirts.

efdcapt115 likes this

In this photo, the firehouse itself looks very similar to EFD's Station 5. I'd bet it was the same architect. Love the rigs!

Add two more bays and push the second floor back some, and it would look like the City of Middletown (NY, Orange County) central station. Wonder if there were specialty architects back then who did nothing but firehouses.....

Not trying to steal this thread, but the JOX ALF is intriguing..... kind of an ugly design, but it is different. Here's a couple of pictures from the Arlington County, Virginia, web site.

post-17292-126447094078.jpg

post-17292-126447095754.jpg

Not trying to steal this thread, but the JOX ALF is intriguing..... kind of an ugly design, but it is different. Here's a couple of pictures from the Arlington County, Virginia, web site.

If you look real close only the cab changed when they came out with the 700 series plus what ever under the hood

If you look real close only the cab changed when they came out with the 700 series plus what ever under the hood

No jump seats on any of the versions? Guys had to ride the running boards?

No jump seats on any of the versions? Guys had to ride the running boards?

That was normel for that era, 10 firefighters could fit on those boards.

That was normel for that era, 10 firefighters could fit on those boards.

Ahhhh..... the good ol' days !!!!

Ahhhh..... the good ol' days !!!!

The good old days in the sense that you could ride the running boards, or in the sense that 10 guys showed up for a call? ;)

The good old days in the sense that you could ride the running boards, or in the sense that 10 guys showed up for a call? ;)

Both !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s. 10 good men !

Both !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s. 10 good men !

Hmmm...... some would say that there is a correlation. Damn that OSHA, took all the fun out of it!

And they are called running boards for a reason, as the truck passed by the guys would run up to the truck and jump on to the sides, thus "running boards". Kind of an interesting name huh??? Ah the good old days of safety where it meant if you didn't get hurt, you were safe!!! :D

The American Museum of Firefighting in Hudson, NY has a magnificent collection of vintage rigs, including a beautiful 1939 (I believe) ALF JOX aerial. It really is worth the ride from Westchester.

Great shot!!

Scarsdale still has that engine, right? Or at least I think it is the same engine plus some more warning lights.....

http://www.x635photos.com/displayimage-44-7.html

Last time I saw it, was at the Hartsdale 100th Anniversary Parade in 2004. Also, if SFD still has it, who maintains it?

Yes they still have it it's a 1939 I beleave, and I think the voll's take care of it .

Yes they still have it it's a 1939 I beleave, and I think the voll's take care of it .

Here is one of the JOX we had in Australia from Western Australia

We had 1 here in south Australia, it was in a museum but seems to have vanished, but hasn't been scrapped, so goodnedd knows

post-9813-126498901404.jpg

Edited by pumper8032