Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Bloomberg's Proposed Budget 'Eliminates' 20 Fire Companies

40 posts in this topic

Both NYC and Yonkers have a nonresiedent payroll tax, if you work in either city you get to pay.

The MTA commuter tax is on the employeer not the employee in the Hudson valley (and ?) for the honor of being close to NYC and as a reward to the MTA for not being able to stay within its multi billion dollar budget.

Bloomberg proposed an additional commuter tax, but it was not approved by the state

This is a payroll tax. It effects all including FD and non profits such as Vassar College. It is as far north as Dutchess County.

The proposed elimination of fire companies is all speculation at this point. The city council funded 16 of the proposed 20 last year and they may very well be able to do that again. The council does not support Bloomberg as they did in the past and the new head of the Fire and Criminal Justice Committee is STAUNCHLY opposed to the elimination of fire companies.

The ratio of firemen to residents in NYC is close to 4,000 to 1. In a city like Yonkers, it's a bit better, more like 2800 to 1. That's the benefit of size, however. Benefit to the bean counters at least. Should we really make it 4500 to 1? I love that we seem to need less safety when the fiscal picture turns downward. Try cutting back on pothole repair and food stamps first!

I personally don't believe that 20 fire companies will get the axe. I would bet that the original 16 on the block from last year continue to be funded and at worst, the mayor gets the 4 he added this year. They get to save some fact that way; "hey look what we did, saved 16 fire companies!" (b.s.!)

Now if the state really bails on funding......we could be in for a world of hurt.....

...I'll just hope that there's no chance of that coming to pass.

The ratio of firemen to residents in NYC is close to 4,000 to 1.

Is that just at night, or does that number signifcantly increase, especially during business hours and holidays?

Is that just at night, or does that number signifcantly increase, especially during business hours and holidays?

The manning on all companies is the same on the day tour and on the night tour. There is more "running" during the day, but more possibility of life loss (people sleeping) and delayed discovery at night. The 5th man on 60 engine companies will probably be "taken" by the city at the end of this union (UFA) contract.

Certain times the manning goes up, during anticipated storms. Not to be a harbinger of doom, but we've been sitting in the office trying to figure out, what would happen if we lose as many companies as the mayor wants to shut down. Probably going to see a lot of times we go into Fallback. We're also waiting to see if there are more cuts on our end of the job.

Certain times the manning goes up, during anticipated storms. Not to be a harbinger of doom, but we've been sitting in the office trying to figure out, what would happen if we lose as many companies as the mayor wants to shut down. Probably going to see a lot of times we go into Fallback. We're also waiting to see if there are more cuts on our end of the job.

I saw the term Fallback on the IA for the multi-alarm job on Staten Island yesterday. What happens when you enact Fallback? Tones, radios, roll-call? Thanks in advance.

The manning on all companies is the same on the day tour and on the night tour. There is more "running" during the day, but more possibility of life loss (people sleeping) and delayed discovery at night. The 5th man on 60 engine companies will probably be "taken" by the city at the end of this union (UFA) contract.

I think what Seth was getting at, and please correct me if I am wrong, but is that 4000:1 ratio measuring just residents (and others spending 24 hours or more at a time) in the city, or does it include all the employees and tourists that come in simply for the daytime hours. I am assuming that the actualnumber of people in NYC during the daytime hours is higher than it is at night.

When I said 4000 to 1 I was referring to RESIDENTS. So, yes, during normal business hours the ratio is exponentially higher.

As for the 60 Eng. Co.'s that ride full, that can't be "taken" by the city at the end of this contract. It really has nothing to do with the collective bargaining agreement and everything to do with the RSOT agreement. That is up in January. According to the agreement, it can't just "end". It has to be renegotiated come January and it will remain in place if no agreement can be reached. At that time, I'm sure it would go to arbitration.

When I said 4000 to 1 I was referring to RESIDENTS. So, yes, during normal business hours the ratio is exponentially higher.

As for the 60 Eng. Co.'s that ride full, that can't be "taken" by the city at the end of this contract. It really has nothing to do with the collective bargaining agreement and everything to do with the RSOT agreement. That is up in January. According to the agreement, it can't just "end". It has to be renegotiated come January and it will remain in place if no agreement can be reached. At that time, I'm sure it would go to arbitration.