Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY Rescue 2 Gets "Hung Up"

27 posts in this topic

I hope no one gets hurt.

Can a chasis take a "flex" like that and be repairable?? Anyone know what the damage was?

What exactly is the front wheel caught up on? It is hard to tell. I hope no one was hurt.

def will need atleast a new control arm and suspension setup. Looks to me like they may have just cut it to close and hit the curb......looks like they have an airbag lifiting it up

Edited by 99subi

......looks like they have an airbag lifiting it up

Which pic do you see an airbag? It kind of looks like the cone shaped bottom of a lamp post. Look closer.

Which pic do you see an airbag? It kind of looks like the cone shaped bottom of a lamp post. Look closer.

yea your right

i looked qwik and thought

RubberAirPillowRubberAirSpringPneumaticTyreRubberAirChamberRubberAirBagRubberGasBag.gif

Edited by 99subi

Just curious on why you thought they were lifting the rig with that type of airbag?. I could be wrong (cause im an engine guy not a mechanic) but they look very close to an air ride suspension.

Edited by Firediver

Just curious on why you thought they were lifting the rig with that type of airbag?. I could be wrong (cause im an engine guy not a mechanic) but they look very close to an air ride suspension.

Yes same style as an air ride suspension. They have many uses. one of which can be used to lift a vehicle. Honestly i looked at the last pic and this was the first thing that came to mind.

Only asked b/c I have never seen them used before, not even in any mags. Whats the brand so I can research? K Thanks.

Edited by Firediver

steel support under first pic and I'll be damned if ANY Rescue company is going to carry THAT setup under the Hummer, but I could very well be wrong. So I ask again What's the brand?

steel support under first pic and I'll be damned if ANY Rescue company is going to carry THAT setup under the Hummer, but I could very well be wrong. So I ask again What's the brand?

Oh im not stating the rescue company had it. I thought a tow company might have been using it. the one under the hummer is just an example of how it can be used.

BGE (Blue giant equipment) has some kind of variant . Herkules has been the supplier for types i have used in the past.

I hate to see the paper work to explain this one. Were they on an emergency run or cruising.

Oh im not stating the rescue company had it. I thought a tow company might have been using it. the one under the hummer is just an example of how it can be used.

BGE (Blue giant equipment) has some kind of variant . Herkules has been the supplier for types i have used in the past.

Oh! Ok now that is much clearer!(really) All I had to do was take off my scratched up safety glasses and now I see the light! :lol: If we cant laugh now..... gotta grow thicker skin!

Oh! Ok now that is much clearer!(really) All I had to do was take off my scratched up safety glasses and now I see the light! :lol: If we cant laugh now..... gotta grow thicker skin!

I never had any beef. I def didnt explain what i was thinking properly.

They do not carry those. They carry low pressure and high pressure bags. Same Vetter bags and same Hi press bags everyone else has.

They were caught on a post that is used to stop cars from going on the sidewalk. It happened in the Park Slope area of Brooklyn and about 2 blocks away from Squad 1.

Stuff happens, I wouldnt doubt that some idiot on a cell phone was on the officer's side that the Chauffeur couldnt see till the last second. This was not a careless mistake, not when you have 5 other souls you are responsible for.

with all that weight suspended from one point I would be concerned about warping or bending the frame depending on how long it was hung up and what part under the rescue was actually hung up on the post. It looks like the tire bent the cab out behind the front wheel.

Edited by 64FFMJK

Kinda looks like a steel pole that they would put up to keep cars out of a bicycle lane or somehting like that, wonder how it got up there though..

They are the latest in sidewalk protection accessories from the DOT called bell bollards. They're maybe 2 feet tall, black and white, and are shaped like a ...well, bell. They are used in places where vehicles frequently make tight turns or u-turns and allow tires to glance off and continue without damage while still protecting pedestrians from errant rescues, ambulances, and cars.

M' Ave likes this

so,...... is there any information out to how or why this happen ??? was it from all of the crazy drivers do there, cutting off the rig ? was it driver error ?

Texron will fix it....

Luckily it didn't roll over, that would of been B-A-D!

They are the latest in sidewalk protection accessories from the DOT called bell bollards. They're maybe 2 feet tall, black and white, and are shaped like a ...well, bell. They are used in places where vehicles frequently make tight turns or u-turns and allow tires to glance off and continue without damage while still protecting pedestrians from errant rescues, ambulances, and cars.

Exactly!

This actually happened a couple of weeks ago(took some time to make it here). Pretty serious though, however, no one was too badly hurt and that's what counts. Who knows? Perhaps R-2 was taking the turn and was cut off and the RCC jerked the wheel and hit that steel pylon.

All said and done this is just one more example of how dangerous emergency response is and how careful you have to be. AND no matter how careful you may be, accidents happen anyway. That's the breaks.

Good thing no one was hurt.

one more example of how dangerous emergency response is

Good thing no one was hurt.

oooohhh, so were the responding to a call ? If so they are truly luckly... from the picture it appears they were just making the left turn and miss judged the street...

From a very reliable source, redlight, on FireEngines.net Forums

FDNY Rescue 2 has been completely repaired and has been back in service for over a week. The Fleet Services Pumper Section mechanics and the welders did an outstanding job in getting the 2002 E-One rescue back ASAP.